Kenny Bell on Culture Change at NU

Kernal

Bo was never going to take us where we needed to go. That was proven in the time while he was here. He was much closer to 7-5 then he was 10-2

You do know Bo went 10-2 multiple times, right?

Yep, and the team got embarrassed in their last 2 games in each of those seasons...

You sure about that?

Lost to OU (who finished that season #6 with a BCS win) by 3 points.

Lost a rematch game to Washington 19-7

Lost badly to Wisconsin, who went on to play top 10 Stanford to the last possession in the Rose Bowl, if I recall. They also lost to NU earlier in the seasons

Lost a hard fought game to #6 Georgia.

That is not all that embarrassing. But I guess if your ego is wrapped up in a football team, that's your problem.

You realize Bo hated the media and fans right?? This is coming from people who would rather be right then support the program. I'm talking the last couple seasons record wise with his own players. The only time we were ever relevant was during the times when ESPN got ahold of your beloved coaches rants. The guy is gone and not coming back and he's 4-4 at his current school, while his predecessor was 7-5 last year.

What does that have to do with his 10-2 regular seasons, one of which was in 2012, a full 5 seasons after Callahan had been shown the door?

If you felt hated by Bo, you probably deserved it. Because you are/were a fairweather fan with no appreciation of how hard it is to win games in CFB.

• Fire 1

Bo was never going to take us where we needed to go. That was proven in the time while he was here. He was much closer to 7-5 then he was 10-2

Yep, and the team got embarrassed in their last 2 games in each of those seasons...

You sure about that?

Lost badly to Wisconsin, who went on to play top 10 Stanford to the last possession in the Rose Bowl, if I recall. They also lost to NU earlier in the seasons

That is not all that embarrassing. But I guess if your ego is wrapped up in a football team, that's your problem.

You realize Bo hated the media and fans right?? This is coming from people who would rather be right then support the program. I'm talking the last couple seasons record wise with his own players. The only time we were ever relevant was during the times when ESPN got ahold of your beloved coaches rants. The guy is gone and not coming back and he's 4-4 at his current school, while his predecessor was 7-5 last year.

What does that have to do with his 10-2 regular seasons, one of which was in 2012, a full 5 seasons after Callahan had been shown the door?

If you felt hated by Bo, you probably deserved it. Because you are/were a fairweather fan with no appreciation of how hard it is to win games in CFB.

lol.....that coming from a guy who has made a lot of posts damning the current coaches for not winning enough games to make him happy.

• Fire 4

You sure about that?

Was actually a huge Bo supporter! Stuck with him through thick and thin and finally thought last year would be the year we were going to Wisconsin with tons of momentum and you know the rest. Melvin Gordon broke the NCAA rushing record in three quarters against Bo's defense. The next week we lose at home against Minnesota in which we can't stop a zone read with a FB playing QB for the gophers. I was still on board until the Iowa game even though we came back and won despite some terrible coaching.

And after the audio came out where Bo pretty much called the fans pieces of SH*T. You're damn right, the door couldn't have hit him hard enough on the way out. As for the fair-weather fan comment I was at West Lafayette two years ago, Minnesota a couple weeks ago so try again.

Trying to put my finger on it but there's no one that could be so dense that would still want to have Bo around. So either you must be Bo and if that's the case I hope Youngstown is treating you well because you finally found a job that suites you.

You sure about that?

lol.....that coming from a guy who has made a lot of posts damning the current coaches for not winning enough games to make him happy.

Find the posts where I say he should be fired. My only time I've considered firing him is because I think it will be inevitable. He will either fail miserably or he'll get to and plateau at around 9 wins, which historically gets you a pink slip at Nebraska.

If it's inevitable, it should be done sooner than later to save the program even more pain. But it definitely shouldn't be before Perlman and Eichorst are gone.

But, I certainly will criticize this staff for the 3-6 start against pretty awful competition (yes, I know many have .500 or winning records, but they wouldn't if NU had taken care of business). That doesn't mean you're fair weather. It just means you won't ignore reality.

And frankly, if the people pumping this Admin and Riley would stop blaming players and a guy who hasn't been on campus in 10 months, I'd probably not say much at all.

I just get tired of the myths that NU is untalented (per the accepted methodology around here, NU is equally talented to MSU this year) or that hte players aren't giving effort because of loyalties to the last coach.

Both of these myths are HIGHLY insulting to our players, and that pisses me off.

You sure about that?

Was actually a huge Bo supporter! Stuck with him through thick and thin and finally thought last year would be the year we were going to Wisconsin with tons of momentum and you know the rest. Melvin Gordon broke the NCAA rushing record in three quarters against Bo's defense. The next week we lose at home against Minnesota in which we can't stop a zone read with a FB playing QB for the gophers. I was still on board until the Iowa game even though we came back and won despite some terrible coaching.

And after the audio came out where Bo pretty much called the fans pieces of SH*T. You're damn right, the door couldn't have hit him hard enough on the way out. As for the fair-weather fan comment I was at West Lafayette two years ago, Minnesota a couple weeks ago so try again.

Trying to put my finger on it but there's no one that could be so dense that would still want to have Bo around. So either you must be Bo and if that's the case I hope Youngstown is treating you well because you finally found a job that suites you.

Suits.

And I'm not Bo. Personally, I don't think he should have been fired. I think he's a better coach than who we have now. I don't have any problem with his behavior. It's not my ideal approach, but it wasn't as bad as people claim. The culture was fine. NU graduated players, won a good number of games and didn't have toruble with the NCAA or law, for the most part.

I'm not a guy who believes you fire someone for "not winning championships" (Pederson's words) or "games that matter" (Eichorst's).

But when you start losing games that are inexcusable, like Illinois and Purdue due to stubbornness or stupidity, I'm going to be upset. Sorry I'm not sorry.

You sure about that?

Suits.

And I'm not Bo. Personally, I don't think he should have been fired. I think he's a better coach than who we have now. I don't have any problem with his behavior. It's not my ideal approach, but it wasn't as bad as people claim. The culture was fine. NU graduated players, won a good number of games and didn't have toruble with the NCAA or law, for the most part.

I'm not a guy who believes you fire someone for "not winning championships" (Pederson's words) or "games that matter" (Eichorst's).

But when you start losing games that are inexcusable, like Illinois and Purdue due to stubbornness or stupidity, I'm going to be upset. Sorry I'm not sorry.

Bo was the person that put us on the same level as Iowa, Minnesota, and Northwestern

Its amazing how many new posters we have all of a sudden! When things are bad, here they come!

I'm guessing you would be talking about me.

I've been a Nebraska fan for over 45 years... that's right 45 years.

I've been through the good-great times and the bad-disaster times... so I didn't just show up "all of a sudden".

And here you are... acting like an "old head". Yeah right.

Grandpa, is that you? I told you to stay of the damn internets.

You sure about that?

Suits.

Bo was the person that put us on the same level as Iowa, Minnesota, and Northwestern

Bo's record against those teams was 8-4. I wouldn't consider that "on their level" but whatever.

• Fire 1

Bo had lost to Minny two years in a row, If not for a hail mary he would have been 2-2 against Northwestern and was embarrassed and got boat raced by a 7-4 Iowa team in Lincoln two years ago.

Those should have been teams we beat year in and year out with no problem. Bo was always getting outcoached against Kill and Fitzgerald and if that was too hard to see through you're Bo Pelini drunk goggles I'm afraid there isn't much hope for you

You sure about that?

hehe. Your timeline is a little off.

You sure about that?

hehe. Your timeline is a little off.

Because of me not caring for him much personally after the audio leak? or when his coaching was running the team into the ground last year?

Find the posts where I say he should be fired. My only time I've considered firing him is because I think it will be inevitable. He will either fail miserably or he'll get to and plateau at around 9 wins, which historically gets you a pink slip at Nebraska.

If it's inevitable, it should be done sooner than later to save the program even more pain. But it definitely shouldn't be before Perlman and Eichorst are gone.

But, I certainly will criticize this staff for the 3-6 start against pretty awful competition (yes, I know many have .500 or winning records, but they wouldn't if NU had taken care of business). That doesn't mean you're fair weather. It just means you won't ignore reality.

And frankly, if the people pumping this Admin and Riley would stop blaming players and a guy who hasn't been on campus in 10 months, I'd probably not say much at all.

I just get tired of the myths that NU is untalented (per the accepted methodology around here, NU is equally talented to MSU this year) or that hte players aren't giving effort because of loyalties to the last coach.

Both of these myths are HIGHLY insulting to our players, and that pisses me off.

Well, until pencil neck's reign, the bolded part was not true at Nebraska. The rest of your post, is spot on.

Thank gawd for Devaney, otherwise, Osborne would have been fired for the reason you stated, denying Nebraska football that glorious period, had someone like pencil neck, or Ickyhorst, or dare I say, SPEM, been in charge.

It is simply unbelievable that Nebraska football is repeating similar mistakes made during the SPEM debacle, as if they (or in reality, pencil neck) didn't learn anything from that disaster. But, I shouldn't be surprised, considering pencil neck hired that idiot too.