Kenny Bell on Culture Change at NU

Kernal

My maverick theory is that if merely ONE player had bought into Riley's system better, Nebraska's record and attitude would already be on the upswing.

That player is Tommy Armstrong. My understanding is that there have been many crucial plays where Tommy has gone rogue on the playcalling, and has clearly ignored all advice on proper footwork and release, believing his really strong arm will carry the day. He's a gamer, but a high-risk player on a team that needs rhythm more than risk. Going rogue on the new coaching staff might not send the best message to the team either, unless you agree we are a long bomb thrown off the back foot away from glory.

I thought Riley and his designated quarterback whisperer could fix him. So yeah, that's on the coaching staff. When they look at the back-up QBs they inherited, they prefer to stick with Tommy. Probably the right call. Given a Newby instead of an Abdullah, it's hard to say the solution was simply to pound the rock more.

But in a season where a single first down, a field goal, or an avoidable pick-six could conceivably have the same team and scheme at 8-1, isn't it possible that one of the dozens of quarterbacks in the NCAA who can complete 60% of their passes with minimal mistakes could make a huge difference?

Yep. This same Tommy Armstrong went 9-4 last year. Ameer Abdullah and a healthy DPE covered for some of his off-games. It's not a perfect theory. But again, it's hard to imagine that a 60% passer doesn't make the difference in some of these razor thin games.

This isn't the first time I've seen reference to Tommy Armstrong going rogue. I'd like to know the source of the rumor because right now I have no credible evidence to believe that it is true. It would definitely explain some things, but then being an explanation for things is not proof of anything. Anyone know where this rumor came from?

Yes, it certainly does tend to back fire when you scrap a winning culture for a losing one.

As Kenny said, it's not that the guys have a bad attitude toward Riley and his staff. It's just that you replace a way of winning with a way of losing and there's going to be frustration.

You know, if Riley had any track record of real success as an HC (or even an assistant) in the United States, maybe I'd have some faith that this was a player problem and not a coach problem.

But folks like you are trying to get us to accept that it's the players fault (and by extension, Bo's fault) that they aren't performing under a career. 500 staff.

Sometimes, the simplest explanation is the correct one.

This is a .500 coach doing what a .500 coach tends to do.

You mean changing out a toxic culture for non-toxic one. Bo was never going to take us where we needed to go. That was proven in the time while he was here. He was much closer to 7-5 then he was 10-2

Bo was never going to take us where we needed to go. That was proven in the time while he was here. He was much closer to 7-5 then he was 10-2

You do know Bo went 10-2 multiple times, right?

Yep, and the team got embarrassed in their last 2 games in each of those seasons...

Bo was never going to take us where we needed to go. That was proven in the time while he was here. He was much closer to 7-5 then he was 10-2

Yep, and the team got embarrassed in their last 2 games in each of those seasons...

You sure about that?

Lost to OU (who finished that season #6 with a BCS win) by 3 points.

Lost a rematch game to Washington 19-7

Lost badly to Wisconsin, who went on to play top 10 Stanford to the last possession in the Rose Bowl, if I recall. They also lost to NU earlier in the seasons

Lost a hard fought game to #6 Georgia.

That is not all that embarrassing. But I guess if your ego is wrapped up in a football team, that's your problem.

• Fire 1

You sure about that?

Lost badly to Wisconsin, who went on to play top 10 Stanford to the last possession in the Rose Bowl, if I recall. They also lost to NU earlier in the seasons

That is not all that embarrassing. But I guess if your ego is wrapped up in a football team, that's your problem.

Not sure if we got embarrassed by OU, but we were up 17-0 and lost.

The Washington Holiday bowl was an embarrassment. We beat them 56-21 in September. We were 14 point favorites. We gained 189 total yards. We had 2.2 yards/carry. The team looked like they would have rather been doing anything else than playing football.

Wisconsin B1G title game was a complete embarrassment. No if, ands, or buts.

The UGA game was not "embarrassing", but it was disappointing. We were up in the 3rd. Then gave up 22 straight to lose.

• Fire 1

You sure about that?

The Washington Holiday bowl was an embarrassment. We beat them 56-21 in September. We were 14 point favorites. We gained 189 total yards. We had 2.2 yards/carry. The team looked like they would have rather been doing anything else than playing football.

The UGA game was not "embarrassing", but it was disappointing. We were up in the 3rd. Then gave up 22 straight to lose.

Was this past Purdue game an embarrassment?

• Fire 1

You sure about that?

Was this past Purdue game an embarrassment?

Yes

Its amazing how many new posters we have all of a sudden! When things are bad, here they come!

I'm guessing you would be talking about me.

I've been a Nebraska fan for over 45 years... that's right 45 years.

I've been through the good-great times and the bad-disaster times... so I didn't just show up "all of a sudden".

And here you are... acting like an "old head". Yeah right.

Not pointing my finger at anyone, just tired of all the negative posts by new members. Like you, I was around when everyone wanted TO fired. Discussion is one thing, constant complaining is another.

You sure about that?

You realize Bo hated the media and fans right?? This is coming from people who would rather be right then support the program. I'm talking the last couple seasons record wise with his own players. The only time we were ever relevant was during the times when ESPN got ahold of your beloved coaches rants. The guy is gone and not coming back and he's 4-4 at his current school, while his predecessor was 7-5 last year.

The Purdue and Illinois losses were both embarrassments.

It's an embarrassing season all around. I don't think anyone is arguing that.

Is it a perfect storm of sh#t going wrong, or the avoidable choices of a coach who can't do any better?

I think that's where we're at.

Although the attempts to remember the four loss seasons in a forgiving new light are pretty interesting.

The Purdue and Illinois losses were both embarrassments.

It's an embarrassing season all around. I don't think anyone is arguing that.

Is it a perfect storm of sh#t going wrong, or the avoidable choices of a coach who can't do any better?

I think that's where we're at.

Although the attempts to remember the four loss seasons in a forgiving new light are pretty interesting.

Look at players efforts and that's all you need to know