Members From Other Fanbases: What's YOUR Take?

MSU Fan:

Our collective take was that firing Bo and hiring Riley set in motion the dominoes that led to us losing our ace defensive coordinator (the musical chairs between Riley, Andersen, Chryst and ultimately Narduzzi to Pitt). Furthermore, as this season has progressed, perhaps an even bigger damage to our program was that when we promoted the linebackers/special teams coach to co-DC, his replacement has proven to be an absolutely terrible special teams coach. If Nebraska prevails tomorrow, it is highly likely that special teams turns out to be a key factor. And, quite frankly, what makes this so frustrating is that we knew Nardog was going to leave eventually, but not for this season until NU hired Riley, who right away struck all us us as absolutely not the kind of guy you fire a 9 win coach to get. Even if Bo had to go, what was your AD thinking when deciding to hire a 60+ year old with no real track record? There's gotta be some young up and comers out there (PJ Fleck?) that you could have taken a chance on.

Although I don't follow your program that closely, I get that there was more to it than W-L. Still, you would think an assessment would be done which would encompass a study of how other schools have fared in similar situations. It sort of reminds me of Minnesota firing Glen Mason, who was their most successful coach since Murray Warmath back in the early 60s. Or Indiana firing Bill Mallory, their most successful coach since well, ever. Their replacements did not raise the bar. Nebraska's a little different but one would think that part of the equation would be the projected on-field success, regardless of whether the guy is hard to get along with. (If there were more serious off the field indiscretions, I haven't heard about them).

I suppose the 9 win plateau and lack of conference championships could have been hard to swallow for the portion of your fan base that is old enough to have enjoyed the 70's, 80's & 90's, but even they have to be realistic enough to understand that the variables in play today make it much more difficult to enjoy that kind of sustained success no matter what conference you're in. I suppose the fact that Pelini's defense was so obviously helpless against Wisconsin must have been a consideration. The flip side of that was that his cover 2 scheme gave us fits and shut MSU's O down better than anyone else, bar none. So I'm grateful for that aspect. Hopefully Riley's D will be a lot more accommodating.

Anyway, good luck. I've been to every BIG venue except Rutgers and Maryland (and TFC in Minny) and have been treated well everywhere, but never met friendlier fans than I did in Lincoln.

• Fire 5

MSU Fan:

Our collective take was that firing Bo and hiring Riley set in motion the dominoes that led to us losing our ace defensive coordinator (the musical chairs between Riley, Andersen, Chryst and ultimately Narduzzi to Pitt). Furthermore, as this season has progressed, perhaps an even bigger damage to our program was that when we promoted the linebackers/special teams coach to co-DC, his replacement has proven to be an absolutely terrible special teams coach. If Nebraska prevails tomorrow, it is highly likely that special teams turns out to be a key factor. And, quite frankly, what makes this so frustrating is that we knew Nardog was going to leave eventually, but not for this season until NU hired Riley, who right away struck all us us as absolutely not the kind of guy you fire a 9 win coach to get. Even if Bo had to go, what was your AD thinking when deciding to hire a 60+ year old with no real track record? There's gotta be some young up and comers out there (PJ Fleck?) that you could have taken a chance on.

Although I don't follow your program that closely, I get that there was more to it than W-L. Still, you would think an assessment would be done which would encompass a study of how other schools have fared in similar situations. It sort of reminds me of Minnesota firing Glen Mason, who was their most successful coach since Murray Warmath back in the early 60s. Or Indiana firing Bill Mallory, their most successful coach since well, ever. Their replacements did not raise the bar. Nebraska's a little different but one would think that part of the equation would be the projected on-field success, regardless of whether the guy is hard to get along with. (If there were more serious off the field indiscretions, I haven't heard about them).

I suppose the 9 win plateau and lack of conference championships could have been hard to swallow for the portion of your fan base that is old enough to have enjoyed the 70's, 80's & 90's, but even they have to be realistic enough to understand that the variables in play today make it much more difficult to enjoy that kind of sustained success no matter what conference you're in. I suppose the fact that Pelini's defense was so obviously helpless against Wisconsin must have been a consideration. The flip side of that was that his cover 2 scheme gave us fits and shut MSU's O down better than anyone else, bar none. So I'm grateful for that aspect. Hopefully Riley's D will be a lot more accommodating.

Anyway, good luck. I've been to every BIG venue except Rutgers and Maryland (and TFC in Minny) and have been treated well everywhere, but never met friendlier fans than I did in Lincoln.

Don't worry, it is.

This feels very 2014 Michigan. While I agree with the whole, "it's only 9 games in" stuff, but even Brady Hoke went 11-2 in his first year.

I really enjoy when NU is good. We, as a conference, need that in the west, but it doesn't seem like the Riley/Eichorst admin is going to get that done. Unfortunately I think you have to give him at least 2 years, because trying to find a coach this off-season is going to be a crapshoot with all of the openings.

• Fire 2

Hi guys. Here is an OSU perspective. I've been watching Riley coach since he first arrived at Oregon State. At that time, he ran a modern pro style offense and Banker ran a defense that was successful at stopping those types of offenses. Almost 20 years later they still play that same style of football, unfortunely for them, the rest of college football has moved on.

Riley's major flaw is stubbornness. He's too stubborn to change his offense, he's too stubborn to change assistants, he refuses to adapt his program to what modern college football has become. He uses his best asset, niceness, to cultivate relationships with the media who propagate the theory that he's a great coach. They like him too much to say otherwise. For an example, just check out Ted Millers blog on ESPN this week. If he had the personality of your previous coach, he would have been out of coaching years ago.

Riley gets way too much credit for building the OSU program. In reality, he took a terrible program and got 5 wins, then jumped to the NFL. It took Dennis Ericson coming to Corvallis to build the program into a somewhat respectable organization. When Riley came back the second time, the program started a long slide downward. There were peaks and valleys along the way, but the trajectory was defiantly downward.

In summary, I think Mike Riley was a good coach at one point in time. Unfortunately, he has allowed the game to pass him by. He is unwilling/unable to adjust to the modern game. He has used his great personality to foster relationships with the media who, in turn, help to improve his coaching image. I believe that with Mike Riley as head coach, mediocrity is the best case scenario...

• Fire 6

Hi guys. Here is an OSU perspective. I've been watching Riley coach since he first arrived at Oregon State. At that time, he ran a modern pro style offense and Banker ran a defense that was successful at stopping those types of offenses. Almost 20 years later they still play that same style of football, unfortunely for them, the rest of college football has moved on.

Riley's major flaw is stubbornness. He's too stubborn to change his offense, he's too stubborn to change assistants, he refuses to adapt his program to what modern college football has become. He uses his best asset, niceness, to cultivate relationships with the media who propagate the theory that he's a great coach. They like him too much to say otherwise. For an example, just check out Ted Millers blog on ESPN this week. If he had the personality of your previous coach, he would have been out of coaching years ago.

Riley gets way too much credit for building the OSU program. In reality, he took a terrible program and got 5 wins, then jumped to the NFL. It took Dennis Ericson coming to Corvallis to build the program into a somewhat respectable organization. When Riley came back the second time, the program started a long slide downward. There were peaks and valleys along the way, but the trajectory was defiantly downward.

In summary, I think Mike Riley was a good coach at one point in time. Unfortunately, he has allowed the game to pass him by. He is unwilling/unable to adjust to the modern game. He has used his great personality to foster relationships with the media who, in turn, help to improve his coaching image. I believe that with Mike Riley as head coach, mediocrity is the best case scenario...

not saying mike will make the jump...but that sounds like what husker fans said about a certain coach here back in the early 90's

from the Oregonians online newspaper.

well for whatever reason I cant post the link. Oregonlive.com But basically Oregon sports writer write about the failure of riley at Nebraska. Most Oregon State fans post comments on there saying they saw this coming and Riley has been on a downhill since 2006. Most Beaver fans feel bad for Nebraska and realize he brought a mediocre staff to Nebraska.

Also most see him gone after next season. ​

Would this be the one?

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2015/11/thursday_morning_news_notes_li_27.html

And yes, I have also noticed as much from many Oregon State fans on their forums, even going back months ago.

But like I said, I'm trying to remain as impartial as possible in this thread.

yep that is the one!

I haven't heard anything negative towards MR. Duck and Beav fans really don't care, all they care about is their own team but of course you'll have those vocal minority that enjoy whining about everything. kind of like on this board.

• Fire 2

MSU Fan:

Good post. Thanks for chiming in.

A couple things bolded above. First one, I guess you haven't heard about our new highly paid special teams coach? Last year we were #1 in ESPN's Special Teams efficiency ranking. Riley brought in his good buddy as a full time special teams coach (doesn't even recruit) and we dropped to mid-50s in the same ESPN ranking. Last week, we had three offsides on one PAT!

Second, it's actually a 10 win plateau. Bo won 10 three times, and 9 the other 4.

Wow. You said a couple mouthfuls there.

Wow. You said a couple mouthfuls there.

Well, aren't you going to give us the Youngstown State perspective?

Badger fan here.

There was an impression that both Husker and Penn State fans had the impression that they would come in and dominate a weak B1G. Some fans even thought that playing the weak B1G teams would hurt their teams by suckiness osmosis or something. So, there is probably some schadenfreude on the part of other fan bases.

There are a lot less "helmet" schools these days, and the effects are much smaller. Nebraska no longer has the advantages that they did during their heyday. They need to build in the same manner that other recently successful schools have. This is not to say that you cannot get to the championship level again - it just means that your path will not be easier or faster just because you had success in the past.

• Fire 3

1sr post here. I have lurked a little but not since first week or two of the season. Im a Washington state fan that lives in the Portland metro area. I can tell you that up here the sports talk radio thinks it would be a little ridiculous if he is fired in the first year . From what I have heard many of them think your guys expectations are a little out of whack considering the talent in the surrounding states. I tend to feel similar and that he should get one more year given that all the games were so close and there were several flukey plays(the buy game).

Given that I would admit that for you guys this a horrible year and I understand your angst. I would say as a Oregon state observer for years it was very predictable that he would win this big game as it is his MO. Full disclosure tho I am a mike toilet fan

• Fire 1