Big Ten: Michigan State-Nebraska refs handled out-of-bounds play right

Saunders

face it, they caught a break, after a season of hard luck calls, this team had finally one go there way...

It's not really a break when it's a 50/50 judgement call. Breaks are when it went your way and really shouldn't have.

that wasn't a 50/50 judgement call...

Agree.

Again there is no clarity in the rule regarding any such force as some have stated. I don't recall who said it, but someone used the word "FORCEFULLY" and that isn't even in the rulebook and NEVER has.

Here is the stated rule from the 2015 manual...

"Eligibility Lost by Going Out of Bounds ARTICLE 4. No eligible offensive receiver who goes out of bounds and returns in bounds during a down shall touch a legal forward pass while in the field of play or end zones or while airborne until it has been touched by an opponent or official (A.R. 7-3-4-I, II and IV). [Exception: This does not apply to an originally eligible offensive player who immediately returns inbounds after going out of bounds due to contact by an opponent (A.R. 7-3-4-III)]. If he touches the pass before returning in bounds, it is an incomplete pass (Rule 7-3- 7) and not a foul for illegal touching."

There was contact on the play and DB's are taught to use the sideline to "squeeze" the space between him and the sideline, forcing the receiver to go out of bounds. However, and I have always had an issue with this. If you are in contact with that guy even if it's a graze. It should not be a penalty to the receiver if he goes out and comes back in. It does not require a DB to forcefully push the guy out.

face it, they caught a break, after a season of hard luck calls, this team had finally one go there way...

It's not really a break when it's a 50/50 judgement call. Breaks are when it went your way and really shouldn't have.

Agree.

Again there is no clarity in the rule regarding any such force as some have stated. I don't recall who said it, but someone used the word "FORCEFULLY" and that isn't even in the rulebook and NEVER has.

"Eligibility Lost by Going Out of Bounds ARTICLE 4. No eligible offensive receiver who goes out of bounds and returns in bounds during a down shall touch a legal forward pass while in the field of play or end zones or while airborne until it has been touched by an opponent or official (A.R. 7-3-4-I, II and IV). [Exception: This does not apply to an originally eligible offensive player who immediately returns inbounds after going out of bounds due to contact by an opponent (A.R. 7-3-4-III)]. If he touches the pass before returning in bounds, it is an incomplete pass (Rule 7-3- 7) and not a foul for illegal touching."

There was contact on the play and DB's are taught to use the sideline to "squeeze" the space between him and the sideline, forcing the receiver to go out of bounds. However, and I have always had an issue with this. If you are in contact with that guy even if it's a graze. It should not be a penalty to the receiver if he goes out and comes back in. It does not require a DB to forcefully push the guy out.

So you agree with walks. Just in the opposite direction :P

Agree.

So you agree with walks. Just in the opposite direction :P

Yes. :)