Huskers/Hawkeyes - Common Opponents

Mavric

Thought it might be interesting to look at how we've fared against common opponents:

Wisconsin

Nebraska - Lost 23-21; 325 yards gained, 469 yards allowed; Lost turnover battle 1-0

Iowa - Won 10-6; 221 yards gained, 320 yards allowed; Won turnover battle 4-2

Illinois

Nebraska - Lost 14-13; 292 yards gained, 382 yards allowed; Lost turnover battle 2-0

Iowa - Won 29-20; 478 yards gained, 363 yards allowed; Won turnover battle 2-0

Northwestern

Nebraska - Lost 30-28; 373 yards gained, 333 yards allowed; Lost turnover battle 1-0

Iowa - Won 40-10; 492 yards gained, 198 yards allowed; Won turnover battle 3-1

Minnesota

Nebraska - Won 48-25; 464 yards gained, 366 yards allowed; Won turnover battle 3-0

Iowa - Won 40-35; 506 yards gained, 434 yards allowed; No turnovers

Purdue

Nebraska - Lost 55-45; 484 yards gained, 457 yards allowed; Lost turnover battle 5-0

Iowa - Won 40-20; 387 yards gained, 405 yards allowed; One turnover each

Something everyone seems to be overlooking here... Iowa has benefited this year, from the continuity of a coaching regime which has been in place for 17 years, while the two 'big dogs' of the division have had to go through coaching upheavals (not to speak of scheduling). Iowa may have been fortunate in getting Wisconsin, early in the season as it was still early in adapting to it's own change. Clearly, Nebraska has had pains while undergoing it's change of system as well. I consider the Purdue game, an anomaly, given all the injuries. I mean, we literally tossed the game to them. I think the Minnesota game, obviously Michigan State, last week at Rutgers, were enough to provide glimpses of the potential, and quell any idea that we have inferior talent. If we play mistake free, I think we ROLL. If Tommy tosses a couple of INT's, I think it's a toss up at worst (before Iowa is crushed in the title game).

Really no secret to anyone that we match up more than comfortably against this team. We have to play mistake free and get a few breaks, and winning isn't at all unreasonable.

The bye week will hopefully be very much in our favor. Time to rest up, get some depth back especially on defense, extra time to scout and get mentally focused.

This could go either way as has been the case all year. Really, we could still win even if we turn it over 3 times but I hope it doesn't come to that. I can see this being close and then not close enough ala MSU 2013 where we lost the turnover battle and all of them MSU cashed in on and we lost 41-28. I think it will be a low scoring game that comes down to special teams, turnovers, penalties and which ever team establishes the run will win.

Really no secret to anyone that we match up more than comfortably against this team. We have to play mistake free and get a few breaks, and winning isn't at all unreasonable.

The bye week will hopefully be very much in our favor. Time to rest up, get some depth back especially on defense, extra time to scout and get mentally focused.

I am hoping that this is the healthiest team we have fielded all year.