CFB Coaching Carousel 2015

Mavric

A $15 million buyout to get rid of one of the best coaches in the country....what on Earth is LSU thinking?

This is where I liken the LSU fan base to NU's. I can reasonably appreciate the LSU fans' belief that they should be better considering their recruiting base, just like I reasonably appreciate our fan base's belief that we should be better based on the amount of support the program receives, especially compared to the program's immediate peers.

One of the big differences, at least to me however, is considering the context of what Miles has done for LSU.

I won't fault them for wishing they were better; however, I heard a stat yesterday that said prior to Saban/Miles coming to LSU the Tigers had only four 10-plus win seasons. That's it. Granted, CFB used to only play 11-12 games a season, but Nebraska has 26 comparatively. The fan base believes they should be competing for national titles every year, yet prior to their last two great coaches, they really weren't a serious title contender every year. Have their expectations gone too far?

Miles has also given them a national title. His biggest faults, and I do believe they're reasonable critiques, are that his teams tend to become inept offensively despite a wealth of talent and they also haven't been able to upend Saban during his incredible run.

But, uh... join the list, LSU. Nobody has been able to consistently stop Alabama during Saban's run.

tl;dr There are a lot of conflicting variables here. Would a new OC and mindset fix the problem, or is the problem Miles? Does the university/boosters really want to fork up the estimated $50-60 million it would cost to pay Miles' buyout, payoff his assistants and give the big money to whatever coach comes next? And then what do you do if/when the new coach doesn't hit those expectations right away?

I always lean towards the side of caution and Miles hasn't done enough yet to make me think he deserves to be ousted.

Hawaii has hired Nevada offensive coordinator Nick Rolovich as its head football coach.

Athletic director David Matlin announced the hiring of Rolovich, a former quarterback at Hawaii, in a news release Friday.
"He understands what it means to be a Warrior, having played and coached here, and what affect a winning program has with this community," Matlin said. "I have no doubt we picked the right man for this job. The future is bright for Hawai'i football."
Rolovich played for Hawaii in 2000 and '01 and coached under Greg McMackin from 2008-11. He was the team's primary play-caller in his final three seasons as a Hawaii assistant. He joined the Nevada staff in in 2012 and has been offensive coordinator for four seasons under Brian Polian.

ESPN

Wow, guess Foster is content as coordinator

Yeah, that seems really odd.....

The stories/rumors I hear is that he's got a drinking issue, maybe even more than drinking, that turns schools off. He can get away with about anything in Blacksburg. Don't take that as fact, and I'm not too tied in and never got around to asking some boosters I know that probably do know more about it.

Also he's not a big recruiter. It may be that he's kind of like McBride was, happy with his role as a DC and given a lot of free reign in that. Foster may realize that taking a HC job is a big risk, whereas he knew he could stay under Beamer forever. Given that it looks like he's staying on, they must not have promised him anything more and he's fine with that. Sometimes people recognize the Peter Principle and stop short of advancing to the next job that he won't do well in.