***Official Iowa Game Discussion Thread***

So who is responsible for that fourth and 1 fade route? Is that a hot read by tommy and the wr? That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in college football

I'll say it again . . . if it would have been completed for a TD, it would be called a "genius" play call. This is part of football; get used to it.
I don't think the majority would call it a genius call. Most would say a gutsy, but ill advised, very lucky call. You have a QB who is not good on touch passes, but a gifted runner, so you ask him to make one of the most difficult throws in football. When you need one frickin yard.

Do you recall the scenario on 3rd down and 1, in just the previous play? What play did we run? Up the middle, for no gain. Why do you believe that the same play would have different results on an even more obvious 4th down? C'mon, people. This is called Monday morning quarterbacking.

It was a solid play call...hell we had a wide open player waving for the ball. At some point you have to call a play and hope your QB is competent enough to look at more than 1 target.

• Fire 1

So who is responsible for that fourth and 1 fade route? Is that a hot read by tommy and the wr? That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in college football

I'll say it again . . . if it would have been completed for a TD, it would be called a "genius" play call. This is part of football; get used to it.
I don't think the majority would call it a genius call. Most would say a gutsy, but ill advised, very lucky call. You have a QB who is not good on touch passes, but a gifted runner, so you ask him to make one of the most difficult throws in football. When you need one frickin yard.

Do you recall the scenario on 3rd down and 1, in just the previous play? What play did we run? Up the middle, for no gain. Why do you believe that the same play would have different results on an even more obvious 4th down? C'mon, people. This is called Monday morning quarterbacking.

It was a solid play call...hell we had a wide open player waving for the ball. At some point you have to call a play and hope your QB is competent enough to look at more than 1 target.

Sure we got stopped on 3rd and 1. Realistically, how often does that happen two plays in a row where the DL gets penetration right where the run is designed to go?

I much prefer the chances of Cross with Janovich leading, even better with TA pulling the ball and following both of them than TA throwing the ball. You may have noticed he's not the most accurate passer in the game. That play may on occasion work, but in our situation (namely TA's accuracy) it's not a solid call. And a wide open player waving for the ball? He was no more relevant on that play than any of us watching, because remember, that "solid"play call is depending on a QB making a good read and throw.