***Official Iowa Game Discussion Thread***

Iowa was better than us at one position and one position only but that is the only position they needed to be better.

Yes. Ferentz is a compentent coach.

As I recall he has some less than stellar seasons as well... His M.O. seems to be suck for a few years and then have a good year and then back to sucking

True. But he is at Iowa, and took over when they were atrocious.

And at least Ferentz has tied for a couple of conference championships and now has won a division with an undefeated season.

He isn't the all out suck that we will be stuck with for another year or two.

Here's some objective analysis of what I saw today:

1. Armstrong is a terrible QB

2. The 4th down fade pass was a shockingly poor and low percentage call by the coaching staff

3. The Nate Gerry call was about the most obvious example of targeting I can recall. The entire officiating crew saw it and threw flags, and the targeting ruling was upheld after only about 15 seconds of review. The overwhelming majority of people posting here whining about that call sound ridiculous; it's great to root for the team, but you can't be such a homer you are blinded by reality.

4. I still think Riley is as good as anyone they could get to take this job. But it takes time to implement a system and build a roster that can execute it. Gve the man some time.

Armstrong didn't go through his progressions on the 4th down. Look at Carter wide open for a first down plus more. I know it's hard for people here to expect a veteran QB to make a smart play and look at more than one reciever on a play. But if he can't do that I'm not sure he could run the option. You have to make decisions running it too.

• Fire 1

2. The 4th down fade pass was a shockingly poor and low percentage call by the coaching staff

3. The Nate Gerry call was about the most obvious example of targeting I can recall. The entire officiating crew saw it and threw flags, and the targeting ruling was upheld after only about 15 seconds of review. The overwhelming majority of people posting here whining about that call sound ridiculous; it's great to root for the team, but you can't be such a homer you are blinded by reality.

4. I still think Riley is as good as anyone they could get to take this job. But it takes time to implement a system and build a roster that can execute it. Gve the man some time.

My only problem with the targeting call is the rule itself. At some point you have to allow a defensive player the chance to make a play. There was no way for Gerry to break up the play other than to target. Football is giving the offense so much leeway anymore it's becoming unbearable at times

My only problem with the targeting call is the rule itself. At some point you have to allow a defensive player the chance to make a play. There was no way for Gerry to break up the play other than to target. Football is giving the offense so much leeway anymore it's becoming unbearable at times

I really disagree with your conclusion that Gerry had no other way to play it. The game isn't going to survive if the leagues don't find someway to minimize the risk of concussions at best, and more serious injuries at worst. This particular hit was reminiscent to me of the Darryl Stingley play where he was airborn reaching for a ball and paralyzed by Jack Tatum, and Gerry's hit was wildly irresonsible IMO.

I really disagree with your conclusion that Gerry had no other way to play it. The game isn't going to survive if the leagues don't find someway to minimize the risk of concussions at best, and more serious injuries at worst. This particular hit was reminiscent to me of the Darryl Stingley play where he was airborn reaching for a ball and paralyzed by Jack Tatum, and Gerry's hit was wildly irresonsible IMO.
What was Gerry supposed to do, not make a play on the ball at all? Gerry is coming in to make a play, he has no idea that the WR is going to fall/dive forward towards him. Gerry was going low, the WR fell down into him and that's what caused the hit to the head. I don't know what Gerry could have done differently other than letting the WR catch the ball, then fans would be upset for him not doing anything.
  • Fire 1

So who is responsible for that fourth and 1 fade route? Is that a hot read by tommy and the wr? That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in college football

I'll say it again . . . if it would have been completed for a TD, it would be called a "genius" play call. This is part of football; get used to it.

I don't think the majority would call it a genius call. Most would say a gutsy, but ill advised, very lucky call. You have a QB who is not good on touch passes, but a gifted runner, so you ask him to make one of the most difficult throws in football. When you need one frickin yard.

Do you recall the scenario on 3rd down and 1, in just the previous play? What play did we run? Up the middle, for no gain. Why do you believe that the same play would have different results on an even more obvious 4th down? C'mon, people. This is called Monday morning quarterbacking.

• Fire 2