Re-visiting Callahan's 2005 Class

Wish we could of kept Cally for 1 more year...he was in the process of signing a top 5 class that ended up producing stupid amounts of NFL guys on OL and QB spot.

When that team collapsed, just fundamentally quit on the coaches, that supposed top 5 class wasn't going to be closed by Cally or anyone else. His firing didn't cause that class to fall apart. His awful ability as a HC caused that.

I'm simply shocked to see several posters express that they believe Callahan should have gotten another year.

Why? So he could set Nebraska football back even further?

No recruit, or recruiting class, or recruiting classes is worth that.

• Fire 1

Ranking are just completely silly to begin with. For one, they are anything but a science. Look at the '05 class's rivals point total versus other years. I seem to recall that the point total was actually lower than a few other recent years. Does that mean talent was just down that year around the country? Who knows? Because it's made up crap to monetize a male version of teen beat.

Recruiting is vitally important, but the recruiting services are wrong as often as right. Heck, they can't even talk to coaches about recruiting, so it's mostly guess work. Just silly.

Also, there's not real statistical difference between a 30th class and a 15th class (a difference often based on one or two unknown HS players) but people freak out over the differences. If the services were honest, they'd operate more in tiers, but their client base is obsessed with the one by one ranking, as though being 6th in a conference is necessarily materially different than being 4th or 3rd.

• Fire 1

Wish we could of kept Cally for 1 more year...he was in the process of signing a top 5 class that ended up producing stupid amounts of NFL guys on OL and QB spot.

When that team collapsed, just fundamentally quit on the coaches, that supposed top 5 class wasn't going to be closed by Cally or anyone else. His firing didn't cause that class to fall apart. His awful ability as a HC caused that.

I'm simply shocked to see several posters express that they believe Callahan should have gotten another year.

He won as many conference titles as the 2 guys after him.

Not sure what is meant by this comment...

He means that as awful of a HC as you believe BC to be, the next 2 have won the exact same number of conference titles.

He means that as awful of a HC as you believe BC to be, the next 2 have won the exact same number of conference titles.

Which isn't exactly a particularly convincing or even relevant point with respect to whether Callahan should have gotten another year.

While playing in what we all believe/ed to be a superior conference.

Which isn't exactly a particularly convincing or even relevant point with respect to whether Callahan should have gotten another year.

I have a question regarding something I've seen you post multiple times now in various threads, relevant to Callahan's recruiting. I'll quote below.

All I know is that we can't expect 90s talent every year, and Frank left more talent on the roster for Callahan (at least based on NFL draftees and their position in the respective drafts) than Callahan left for Pelini.

How are you formulating this claim? I did a little research, and according to the numbers I pulled, Frank left 11 NFL draft picks for Callahan's years. Callahan left 13 for Bo. I can quote the names I found to be more specific, if requested.

I'll admit that I didn't include free agency picks, and perhaps I missed some players, but I don't think I did (personally, I don't think we should include free agency when evaluating a coach's success in the draft). And regardless, if there is a discrepancy, it seems like it would only be one or two players which isn't overly significant to me.

Recruiting is a numbers game. Sure, half of them didn't pan out (that's normal) - but that means with this class we still got 16 solid contributors, 6-7 were great. Bo's classes of 17-19 and consistently undersigning meant if he hit 50% of his targets (which he didn't) we still only got 8-9 contributors. Bo's classes usually included about a 40% transfer rate, a 30% hit rate, and a 30% miss rate - leaving us with 6-7 guys contributing. Look at that 2011 class we all thought was so great at the time. Out of the 11 4* recruits that made that class promising, 5 transferred, 1 never showed, 2 never managed to really contribute. On down that list you've got Pirman, Carter, Davie, Price, Allen and Bondi that never really got into the starting rotation. That leaves what, 6 out of 20 that held their own...out of what was supposed to be the anchor class for Pelini. This class is the standard of the era.

Stars correlate to potential, anyone that argues against that is being ridiculous. But ultimately it's about the numbers. You have to sign to the limit, we can't have 7 walk-ons earning scholly's in a given year.

• Fire 1

Recruiting is a numbers game. Sure, half of them didn't pan out (that's normal) - but that means with this class we still got 16 solid contributors, 6-7 were great. Bo's classes of 17-19 and consistently undersigning meant if he hit 50% of his targets (which he didn't) we still only got 8-9 contributors. Bo's classes usually included about a 40% transfer rate, a 30% hit rate, and a 30% miss rate - leaving us with 6-7 guys contributing. Look at that 2011 class we all thought was so great at the time. Out of the 11 4* recruits that made that class promising, 5 transferred, 1 never showed, 2 never managed to really contribute. On down that list you've got Pirman, Carter, Davie, Price, Allen and Bondi that never really got into the starting rotation. That leaves what, 6 out of 20 that held their own...out of what was supposed to be the anchor class for Pelini. This class is the standard of the era.

Stars correlate to potential, anyone that argues against that is being ridiculous. But ultimately it's about the numbers. You have to sign to the limit, we can't have 7 walk-ons earning scholly's in a given year.

Bo liked stars but he liked his hunches better. Callahan was the best recruiter we have had after Tom left. We shall have to wait and see on Riley, but the pantry was ultimately bare for him.

Bo liked stars but he liked his hunches better. Callahan was the best recruiter we have had after Tom left. We shall have to wait and see on Riley, but the pantry was ultimately bare for him.

Like... This isn't remotely true. Stop repeating the idea that the "pantry is bare." What an appalling insult to guys like TA, Collins, Westy, Gerry, Reilly, etc.

So many good guys thrown under the bus to justify a .500 coach registering essentially a .500 season.

Callahan was certainly a better recruiter than a coach. But he wasn't vastly superior in recruiting.

In 2007, 4 years in, he was still starting as many as 7 Solich guys on offense.

Callahan was certainly a better recruiter than a coach. But he wasn't vastly superior in recruiting.

In 2007, 4 years in, he was still starting as many as 7 Solich guys on offense.

I agree with this. He picked up some real good players, but he took chances on a lot of JUCO guys that never did anything here, his O-line recruiting was pretty hit and miss.

for the most part Cally always had a manageable QB which is is the difference between the 2009 and 2010 teams winning 10 versus 12 IMO. At the end of the day it isn't going to matter much if we can't get a guy under center that makes better decisions. TM was a good QB but he wasn't a 12 win QB. He was going to lose use a couple, he wasn't going to be able to stand up to the demands winning a championship took, to really beat the top 10 teams. Iowa isn't that different of a team from Nebraska, we all saw that at the end of the season when we took em to the wire and should have kicked their a$$ - but they are in the rose bowl with 12 wins because of what they had under center. Tommy is a better athlete any day of the week - but Beathard is a better QB by a mile.

for the most part Cally always had a manageable QB which is is the difference between the 2009 and 2010 teams winning 10 versus 12 IMO. At the end of the day it isn't going to matter much if we can't get a guy under center that makes better decisions. TM was a good QB but he wasn't a 12 win QB. He was going to lose use a couple, he wasn't going to be able to stand up to the demands winning a championship took, to really beat the top 10 teams. Iowa isn't that different of a team from Nebraska, we all saw that at the end of the season when we took em to the wire and should have kicked their a$$ - but they are in the rose bowl with 12 wins because of what they had under center. Tommy is a better athlete any day of the week - but Beathard is a better QB by a mile.

Iowa is in the Rose Bowl with 12 wins because their defense gave up a 22 play 4th quarter drive to Michigan State.