***2015 Bowl Game “Expert” Picks: Nebraska vs UCLA***

Saunders

2015 Bowl Game “Expert” Picks: Nebraska vs UCLA

—————

CollegeFootballNews.com

http://collegefootballnews.com/2015/nebraska-vs-ucla-prediction-foster-farms-bowl-game-preview

Why You Need To Care.

Entering the Foster Farms Bowl two games below .500, Nebraska has become one of the poster children for those who feel the postseason has become too bloated and inclusive. Hearing their detractors, the Huskers will no doubt play with a chip on their shoulder Saturday night. Becoming bowl eligible didn’t exactly go as planned for Nebraska in Mike Riley’s first season in Lincoln. The Huskers failed to win the requisite six games, but a strong academic record qualified the program when not enough schools were available to fill the slots in all 40 games. Yeah, it’s a historically odd situation, but Nebraska will take it. Six of the team’s seven losses were by no more than eight points. And as this program continues to transition, it’s going to really benefit from the additional game and practice time with the new coaching staff this month.

UCLA missed its mark, too, in 2015. Sure, using a true freshman quarterback, Josh Rosen, and a mess of defensive injuries impacted the Bruins. But the bigger issue in Westwood was the team’s lack of overall consistency, highlighted in November by a home loss to Washington State and a 19-point defeat to rival USC with the South Division title hanging in the balance. Backers are becoming restless with the inability of fourth-year head coach Jim Mora to get UCLA over the hump. And while a bowl victory isn’t going to clear the air, a loss will make for an even more contentious climate this offseason in Los Angeles.

Why Nebraska Will Win

The Huskers are liable to go old-school on UCLA, winning with superior line play. For all the problems that Nebraska has had this season, the team has been true to its past by developing quality offensive and defensive linemen. On D, tackles Maliek Collins and Vincent Valentine headline a unit that ranks No. 8 nationally at stopping the run. And slowing down Bruin workhorse Paul Perkins would go a long way toward delivering the upset. On offense, All-Big Ten LT Alex Lewis is the catalyst for a front wall that’s given up only 13 sacks and has paved the way for an improved ground game. Nebraska averages 4.6 yards a carry, aided by shifty QB Tommy Armstrong Jr. and a resurgent RB Imani Cross.

Why UCLA Will Win

When the ball is in the air, advantage Bruins. Armstrong vs. Rosen could wind up being a mismatch that favors the latter. Armstrong torched L.A.’s other team, USC, in last year’s Holiday Bowl, but a repeat performance is unlikely. He’s trending down, throwing nine picks in his last three games, and the UCLA secondary presents another stiff challenge. The Bruins, led by All-Pac-12 safeties Jaleel Wadood and Randall Goforth, lead the conference in pass defense. Rosen, meanwhile, gets to face a suspect Husker defensive backfield. Even with late improvements, Nebraska still ranks No. 13 in Big Ten pass defense, and is tied for fewest picks. Rosen won’t look like a rookie any longer, burning Big Red with help from physical receivers Jordan Payton and Thomas Duarte.

Player Who Matters

If Nebraska hopes to be successful on offense, UCLA NT Kenny Clark must be accounted for at all times. LB Myles Jack, DT Eddie Vanderdoes and CB Fabian Moreau all went from all-star contenders to the IR this fall. Clark, though, is a mainstay. And he’s to the Bruins what Collins is to the Huskers. Clark can blow plays up from the interior, with his next-level combination of strength, quickness and motor. When he’s doubled, and he will be doubled, it’ll be incumbent upon DE Takkarist McKinley and outside backers Deon Hollins and Aaron Wallace to take advantage off the edge. Mora knows the importance—and the possible payback—of pressuring Armstrong into hurried throws and rushed decisions.

What’s Going To Happen?

In an all-too-familiar script for Nebraska in 2015, the team will compete in a 60-minute fight before falling short. For a 5-7 squad, the Huskers will show well at the Foster Farms Bowl. However, they won’t have the athletes or the ball security to capture anything more than a moral victory. Perkins and Rosen will be more effective than Cross and Armstrong, who’ll again hurt his team with costly second-half turnovers. Rosen, in particular, will use this Santa Clara event to get a head start on his sophomore season, earning MVP honors with a couple of touchdowns and more than 300 yards through the air.

PREDICTION: UCLA 35- Nebraska 28

—————

ESPN FPI

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=158&year=2015

UCLA - 67.9% chance of winning

—————

AP - Ralph D Russo

http://collegefootball.ap.org/huskermax/article/bowls-and-bowls-and-bowls-and-reasons-watch-all-them

UCLA 38- Nebraska 24

—————

CBS Sports

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/features/writers/expert/picks/straight-up/16

Dennis Dodd: UCLA

Jon Solomon: UCLA

Jerry Palm: UCLA

Tom Fornelli: UCLA

Jerry Hinnen: UCLA

Chip Patterson: UCLA

Robby Kaland: UCLA

—————

Sports Illustrated

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/12/14/college-football-bowl-picks-playoff-40

Andy Staples: UCLA

Pete Thamel: UCLA

Thayer Evans: UCLA

Zac Ellis: UCLA

Colin Becht: UCLA

Lindsay Schnell: UCLA

Brian Hamilton: UCLA

Ben Glicksman: UCLA

—————

ESPN.com

Mark Schlabach

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14377298/alabama-rolls-title-other-predictions-every-game-2015-16-bowl-season

Why to watch: Come on: The final minute of any Nebraska game is much-watch TV this season.

Who to watch: Josh Rosen cooled off a bit down the stretch, but he was still one of the country's best freshman quarterbacks. He completed 59.5 percent of his passes for 3,351 yards with 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

Motivation for UCLA: The Bruins can win at least nine games for the fourth straight season and win their third consecutive bowl game under coach Jim Mora.

Motivation for Nebraska: The Cornhuskers have to beat the Bruins to avoid losing eight games in a season for the first time since going 1-9 in 1957.

UCLA 41 - Nebraska 21

—————

ESPN.com

Chris Fallicia

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/14383500/college-football-chris-fallica-stanford-steve-give-their-favorite-bowl-bets

How many times between now and kickoff will we hear that Nebraska went 5-7 this year and shouldn't be in a bowl game? Well, the snake-bitten Huskers clearly have the talent to play with the nation's elite, as evidenced by a win over Michigan State and a four-quarter game with Iowa. This will be a big deal for Mike Riley and the Huskers, who can end the year on a high note with a win in the state of California, where Riley would like to grab recruits from. Nebraska has thrown an amazing 13 interceptions in the last four games, so the Huskers need to eliminate those. But is UCLA really going to be excited about playing in a half-full (maybe) stadium in Northern California after it was blown out by its rival with a chance to play for the Pac-12 title in that stadium and a Rose Bowl berth? Josh Rosen has a huge future, but with all the injuries the Bruins have suffered this year along with dreams of a Pac-12 title gone, I don't know how much is left in the tank. Remember that last year Nebraska went to California and played USC tough in a bowl game. Sneaky-good upset chance here.

Nebraska 38 - UCLA - 31

—————

BTN.com

http://btn.com/2015/12/16/polls-its-time-to-pick-your-2015-16-big-ten-bowl-game-winners/

Tom Dienhart: UCLA 38 - Nebraska 28

Sean Merriman: UCLA 27 - Nebraska 24

Brent Yarina: UCLA 32 - Nebraska 24

Jason Galloway: UCLA 41 - Nebraska 24

—————

USA Today

http://sportswire.usatoday.com/2015/12/17/college-football-bowl-games-picks-usa-today-sports/

Nicole Auerbach: UCLA

Paul Myerberg: UCLA

George Schroeder: UCLA

Erick Smith: UCLA

Eddie Timanus: UCLA

Dan Uthman: UCLA

Dan Wolken: UCLA

—————

Fox Sports

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/cfb-bowl-games-expert-picks-predictions-alabama-michigan-state-oklahoma-clemson-121715

Stewart Mandel: UCLA

Joel Klatt: UCLA

Jim Ross: UCLA

—————

Athlon Sports

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/predictions-every-college-football-2015-2016-bowl-game

Steven Lassan: UCLA

Mitch Light: UCLA

David Fox: UCLA

Braden Gall: UCLA

Mark Ross: UCLA

—————

• Fire 3

Good to see that someone has faith in our offense! :P

On a more serious note, I'm not surprised to see UCLA getting a lot of love. Josh Rosen definitely has a favorable matchup against our secondary.

If the Vegas line is similar, I am putting my money on the under.

Good to see that someone has faith in our offense! :P

On a more serious note, I'm not surprised to see UCLA getting a lot of love. Josh Rosen definitely has a favorable matchup against our secondary.

If the Vegas line is similar, I am putting my money on the under.

I hate to be negative, but I just don't see the Huskers scoring over 150.

• Fire 3

So.... Who picked UCLA?

SxutOh.jpg

Since I started doing this, this is the most lopsided set of picks against Nebraska that I can recall.

Not to be negative but why would anyone in their right mind pick Nebraska? Or even UCLA by less than a couple touchdowns. I hope we do well but hope isn't worth much these days. All indications are that it should be an ugly lopsided victory for the Bruins......unless they just aren't motivated to be there.

What’s Going To Happen?

In an all-too-familiar script for Nebraska in 2015, the team will compete in a 60-minute fight before falling short. For a 5-7 squad, the Huskers will show well at the Foster Farms Bowl. However, they won’t have the athletes or the ball security to capture anything more than a moral victory. Perkins and Rosen will be more effective than Cross and Armstrong, who’ll again hurt his team with costly second-half turnovers. Rosen, in particular, will use this Santa Clara event to get a head start on his sophomore season, earning MVP honors with a couple of touchdowns and more than 300 yards through the air.

PREDICTION: UCLA 35- Nebraska 28

Unfortunately, this sounds kind of right to me.

However, even with a "W", this whole season can only be at best a moral victory. So, as long as the Huskers show good fight, either a W or a L won't make a huge difference for the year. There's no covering up weaknesses anymore, nor smoke and mirrors to hide behind. There's no need -- nor ability -- to compare to Oregon and Alabama and get defensive about accomplishments.

There's a big offseason of work ahead, and all that really matters is getting there the right way, by fighting through the end of the last game of the year.

• Fire 2

So.... Who picked UCLA?

SxutOh.jpg

Since I started doing this, this is the most lopsided set of picks against Nebraska that I can recall.

Not to be negative but why would anyone in their right mind pick Nebraska? Or even UCLA by less than a couple touchdowns. I hope we do well but hope isn't worth much these days. All indications are that it should be an ugly lopsided victory for the Bruins......unless they just aren't motivated to be there.

Personally I'm not impressed with UCLA this season, they really haven't beaten anyone. Their best win was over Utah, who's been fairly inconsistent. I think we're more evenly matched than our record shows. As long as Tommy doesn't go all Iowa 2.0, I think we win this game.

So.... Who picked UCLA?

SxutOh.jpg

Personally I'm not impressed with UCLA this season, they really haven't beaten anyone. Their best win was over Utah, who's been fairly inconsistent. I think we're more evenly matched than our record shows. As long as Tommy doesn't go all Iowa 2.0, I think we win this game.

Utah who just went 35-0 in first quarter against BYU?

So.... Who picked UCLA?

SxutOh.jpg

Utah who just went 35-0 in first quarter against BYU?

Yes, that same one who went scoreless the rest of the game and almost let BYU come back and win. And lets not pretend like those 35 points were bc Utah was just dominating, Magnum practically served them up on a silver platter.

• Fire 1

So.... Who picked UCLA?

SxutOh.jpg

Usually you see a a couple flier picks at least, but not so with this one.

So.... Who picked UCLA?

SxutOh.jpg

I do not understand your reasoning. Under MR, we only get blown out by teams with no victories over Power 5 teams.

So.... Who picked UCLA?

SxutOh.jpg

I completely agree and was of the same opinion in the Michigan State game. I didn't think we had a prayer. Beating UCLA would not surprise me. On the other hand, losing the game wouldn't surprise me either.