OWH Pick 6 Podcast: Recapping season, Big Ten Complacency

I listened to this earlier this week. Sam's rant about the B1G is amazing. That's the part that scares me about Nebraska under Riley. Riley is going to stick with his guys as his assistants and if he loses them, so be it.

The few minutes that Sam goes on about the NU defense hits the nail on the head. I posted this in another thread, but NU could run whatever kind of offense it wants to, but if the defense doesn't significantly improve, NU will never be a consistent championship contender.

I highly suggest listening to the whole thing, but at bare minimum, listen to the last segment. Sam's rant about the conference (outside of UM, OSU, and MSU) being "content" is pure gold.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/pick-six-podcast-tommy-armstrong-offensive-tempo-i-backs-husker/article_012092f8-b3e0-11e5-a313-470e238f9e3c.html

Didn't he blast MSU for being content with their offense?

Anyways, yes, he was spot on. Alvarez's comments that he can't pay Aranda b/c Wisconsin supports more sports than LSU is utterly laughable.

The few minutes that Sam goes on about the NU defense hits the nail on the head. I posted this in another thread, but NU could run whatever kind of offense it wants to, but if the defense doesn't significantly improve, NU will never be a consistent championship contender.

100% agree here. Our offense, as up and down as it was this past year, wasn't our biggest problem. Our (pass) D needs to greatly improve or we will be going nowhere over the next few years.

• Fire 1

I highly suggest listening to the whole thing, but at bare minimum, listen to the last segment. Sam's rant about the conference (outside of UM, OSU, and MSU) being "content" is pure gold.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/pick-six-podcast-tommy-armstrong-offensive-tempo-i-backs-husker/article_012092f8-b3e0-11e5-a313-470e238f9e3c.html

Anyways, yes, he was spot on. Alvarez's comments that he can't pay Aranda b/c Wisconsin supports more sports than LSU is utterly laughable.

Yeah, he did (although he did say at least they're trying).

No kidding. It feels a lot like someone losing a competition and then saying 'well, I didn't really want to win anyways, so...'

Yeah, right.

Aside from that, I've always appreciated Sam's coverage. Some of you may remember, before the season started, he was one of the more pessimistic reporters about what he thought was going to happen to Nebraska in '15. I don't think he really expected 5-7, but he did say at the time that Nebraska could be a 6-6 team (however, that reference was made more towards if Nebraska was in a different conference).

Alvarez believes in his system, and it has proven results. To him it is bigger than any coach or player, the system is what matters. That's why he can watch two head coaches and multiple coordinators just walk. Because it's not their system, it's his, and it is the reason why they win.

Alvarez didn't say he couldn't pay Aranda, he said he couldn't pay more than LSU, which might be true. Wisconsin supports 23 sports while LSU supports 16. How much in scholarships, coaches pay, academic support, administration, buildings and other infrastructure, etc. do 7 non-revenue sports cost? And what about if Wisky wants to compete at a high level at those sports (think NU volleyball cost without the revenue)? I don't know the answers.

So is it really beyond the realm of possibility (aka utterly laughable) that Wisconsin can't outbid LSU because they have higher costs for their athletic dept due to additional non-revenue teams?