How do we go DANCING ?

Comish

This seems like an opportune time to revisit this thread.

We have winnable games with Penn St and Northwestern and more difficult contests with Indiana and Purdue. That leaves Ohio St. Saturday at the Vault as a swing game.

If this team can finish 3-2 and .500 in the conference, I think it merits an opportunity to extend the season in some format, regardless of venue or initials.

It is quantifiably better than a year ago, and any young team can only benefit by extending the season.

It is analogous to the football team’s quandary before the bowl game. In hindsight, most would probably admit that experience and extra practice and outcome provided the end of the season to finish on a far more positive note than might be expected with such a dismal overall record.

The same opportunity exists for the basketball program. Of course, this program is far from where all of us want it to be, but any postseason chances should be valued and pursued.

Hopefully, they finish it off with just such an opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the Big Ten had a rule against going to anything less than the NIT. Sort of like they don't play on Thursdays used to be Rose Bowl or bust, no night games,....etc. I remember in Docs first year we went to some lesser tournament only because it was his first year and our kids needed the practice so the Big 12 allowed it. Am I wrong?

I hope so, I'd like to see the guys get in as many games as possible.

I thought the Big Ten had a rule against going to anything less than the NIT. Sort of like they don't play on Thursdays used to be Rose Bowl or bust, no night games,....etc. I remember in Docs first year we went to some lesser tournament only because it was his first year and our kids needed the practice so the Big 12 allowed it. Am I wrong?

I hope so, I'd like to see the guys get in as many games as possible.

I don't think it's a set rule so much as more of a guideline. Pretty sure other teams have played in them once or twice as well.

I would guess that we'll use the same "excuse." Also, with the addition of more tournaments, I would guess the B1G will relax their stance. Wouldn't make sense to leave options on the table for several more teams to keep playing.