1-Callahan

2-Riley

3-Pelini

4-Solich

Play Calling

1-Solich

2-Pelini/Riley (Riley could easily move up

99-Callahan

Solich only used about 7 plays, but I guess he mixed it up a bit. Would have been a great Super Tecmo Bowl player.

1st down : HB Iso

2nd down : Option out of I formation

3rd (and long) : Option out of shotgun

Punt

• Fire 1

OK

Hypothetically, You are the AD. Dr. Evil has just kidnapped your chick and you have ONE year to win the NC. Which of the four do you hire Right Now.

That's a good way of putting the question.

I'd probably take Riley in that situation. Although it was with the Canadian Football League, he's at least won a championship as a head coach, something none of the other three have done.

I believe Solich was a few fumbles away from a NC in 99.

1 fumble I believe - wasn't it Alexander crossing the goal line against Texas maybe a diff back. That team would have won the NC. They went on to destroy Texas in the CCG and then destroy Tenn (again) in the bowl game. It would have been a nice revenge match up against FSU who won the NC. Total revenge time.

Here is the final rankings and after the rankings before the bowl game. Without the lost to texas we would have been rank 1st or 2nd. But that one fumble. A NC may have bought Frank more time and the new assistant coach change, including Bo as DC, may have worked out.

1999rank1_38.gif

TW

Team

W-L 1 Florida State 11-0 2 Virginia Tech 11-0 3 Nebraska 11-1 4 Alabama 10-2 5 Tennessee 9-2 6 Kansas State 10-1 7 Wisconsin 9-2 8 Michigan 9-2 9 Michigan State 9-2 10 Florida 9-3 11 Penn State 9-3 12 Marshall 12-0 13 Minnesota 8-3 14 Texas A&M 8-3 15 Texas 9-4

The question isn't specific enough. If we're talking about their performance at Nebraska that's one thing, their entire career it's another. Interestingly all but Pelini had a 7 loss season.

Solich: is a coaches coach. I believe he could get the most of a kid but could he get a top notch kid to come here? Prob. not. He's done wonders at Ohio and I am happy for him. Who knows how things would have turned out if he had been allowed to run with his staff from that last year. Like Pelini he was on the chopping block the second a new AD came along.

Callahan: The opposite of Solich, could recruit by showing off some Super Bowl rings and the promise of running the offense the NFL does, but did he get the most out of his players? He was the only guy to recruit Ganz and that bad ass o-lineman with a stutter...can't remember his name. I was a Cally supporter longer than I should have been. So he could find jems too.

Pelini: You can't summarize Bo's time in a couple sentences. All the highs and lows it just can't be done. After the two year honeymoon I stopped liking the guy, although he continued to win 9 games a year I had a hard time rooting for him. I think he may eventually fall into the Cally category of great Coordinator but not HC.

Riley: I'm really hoping he pans out. I'm proud he's our coach. I'm afraid long term he turns into the football version of Doc Sadler. I loved that guy, but in the end the losses just kept piling up.

If one throws enough crap against the wall, eventually some of it will stick. Considering Solich couldn't recruit, I find it ironic that he had more players drafted into the NFL in the first three rounds on an annual basis than either Clownahan or Bobo. You guys can cling to your Scout and Rivals rankings all you want. I'll stick with the results of how those recruited pan out. I can't give a coach credit when a five star plays like a two star.

Considering most of his players were recruited by Osborne that would not be a reach. However if you check out how many Callahan players got drafted, you would be amazed. What isnt surprizing is the number of Pelini players that did not get drafted.
As has been noted, Callahan inherited more top 3 round picks than Pelini did.

Those guys Callahan inherited certainly weren't recruited by Osborne.

Name them inherited players Callahan got from Solich who were drafted, then go look at the players drafted from NU during the Bo years who were Callahan recruits

Crickets.

Least surprising reply ever.

If one throws enough crap against the wall, eventually some of it will stick. Considering Solich couldn't recruit, I find it ironic that he had more players drafted into the NFL in the first three rounds on an annual basis than either Clownahan or Bobo. You guys can cling to your Scout and Rivals rankings all you want. I'll stick with the results of how those recruited pan out. I can't give a coach credit when a five star plays like a two star.

Considering most of his players were recruited by Osborne that would not be a reach. However if you check out how many Callahan players got drafted, you would be amazed. What isnt surprizing is the number of Pelini players that did not get drafted.

Name them inherited players Callahan got from Solich who were drafted, then go look at the players drafted from NU during the Bo years who were Callahan recruits

Crickets.

I never made a top 3 round draft comparison, I was talking about the whole drafts. You obviously cherry picked the results you wanted to support your Bo Pelini fantasy and I would call your post intellectually bankrupt and intensionally misleading, but that is your way. You left out Crick, Slauson,Nicks, Potter, Bjax, Paul, Henery, Helu etc etc etc...

Crickets.

I never made a top 3 round draft comparison, I was talking about the whole drafts. You obviously cherry picked the results you wanted to support your Bo Pelini fantasy and I would call your post intellectually bankrupt and intensionally misleading, but that is your way. You left out Crick, Slauson,Nicks, Potter, Bjax, Paul, Henery, Helu etc etc etc...

Oh, so you wanted to change the conversation. Funny that half of those guys that you listed are from Nebraska (i.e., hardly examples of great recruiting coups by Cally) and Bjax bailed early on him, so he never played for Bo.

Anyway, tally up the totals and you'll find that they were approximately equal in total, which supports the conclusion that Callahan was no better as a recruiter than Solich and Pelini (and he was probably worse when you look in aggregate).

But, if you actually do do your own research, note that Potter wasn't draft.

For the record, the count of scholarship players who were drafted:

Callahan inherited 12 (+walkon Koch)

Bo inherited 14 (+walkon Henery)

Not a big difference. And, as was noted before, do guys like Glen, particularly, and Dillard get drafted if there is no coaching change? How many kids like those were inherited, but squandered by Callahan? Hard to say, but I'd bet at least one or two.

Note: bolded are players inherited by Callahan. Italics are players who a coach recruited, were drafted but who didn't play for any other coach.

2012 2 26 58 Lavonte David Buccaneers LB 4 31 126 Jared Crick Texans DT 7 17 224 Alfonzo Dennard Patriots DB 7 27 234 Marcel Jones Saints T 2011 1 19 19 Prince Amukamara Giants DB 4 8 105 Roy Helu Redskins RB 4 23 120 Alex Henery Eagles K 5 15 146 Dejon Gomes Redskins DB 5 24 155 Niles Paul Redskins WR 6 31 196 Keith Williams Steelers G 7 45 248 Eric Hagg Browns DB 2010 1 2 2 Ndamukong Suh Lions DT 4 17 115 Phillip Dillard Giants LB 5 29 160 Larry Asante Browns DB 2009 5 22 158 Cody Glenn Redskins LB 6 20 193 Matt Slauson Jets G 7 19 228 Lydon Murtha Lions T 2008 5 7 142 Zack Bowman Bears DB 5 29 164 Carl Nicks Saints T 6 31 197 Bo Ruud Patriots LB 2007 1 13 13 Adam Carriker Rams DE 2 31 63 Brandon Jackson Packers RB 3 24 87 Stewart Bradley Eagles LB 4 5 104 Jay Moore 49ers DE 2006 2 8 40 Daniel Bullocks Lions DB 6 34 203 Sam Koch Ravens P 6 37 206 Le Kevin Smith Patriots DT 7 12 220 Titus Adams Jets DT 2005 1 23 23 Fabian Washington Raiders DB 2 4 36 Barrett Ruud Buccaneers LB 2 8 40 Josh Bullocks Saints DB 3 17 81 Richie Incognito

Recruiting:

1-Callahan

2-Riley

3-Pelini

4-Solich

Play Calling

1-Solich

2-Pelini/Riley (Riley could easily move up

99-Callahan

Solich only used about 7 plays, but I guess he mixed it up a bit. Would have been a great Super Tecmo Bowl player.

1st down : HB Iso

2nd down : Option out of I formation

3rd (and long) : Option out of shotgun

Punt

Well heres the thing, if you don't put Solich at the top you have to put Bo or Rileu at they top because I refuse to put frickin Clownahan at the top of Play Calling.

Problem with Bo: Let our OC's out think themselves in big games and it would either cost us a heart breaker or we would get embarassed. Defensively, he called some great games....and he also called some of the worst in our lifetime.

Problem with Riley: Has the potential to be top of this list. Yet we lost 7 games in his lone season this far and at least 4 were preventable with a few different things at the coaching level of the game.

Problem with Callaha: He is awful

Why I voted Solich: He gave us our best season out of all 4 of them. Granted we didn't deserve a national championship appearance and we got embarassed, yet we still had our best winning average under him, so he gets my fictional 1st place nomination.