JUCO DT Isaiah Johnson

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It does seem like they want 2 more HS DT's and it seems like IJ wants to commit but can't yet. I am a bit surprised based on what is available in 2017 on the roster, but JP must be feeling pretty good overall about his D-Line roster.

I'm ok with no juco. Unless the DT spot is a gigantic dumpster fire this year, then I don't see the need for a juco. In 17 we'll have Stoltenberg and Newell as Jr, and the Davis^2 as So, plus (maybe) 3 HS DTs as Fr. That seems ok if the coaches are good with the play of Stolt, Newell, and Davis^2.

We totally screwed the pooch with Maurice in 2013 though. He should have redshirted and he would be a Sr in 17. Not sure he was worth the 3 tackles he contributed that year.

It does seem like they want 2 more HS DT's and it seems like IJ wants to commit but can't yet. I am a bit surprised based on what is available in 2017 on the roster, but JP must be feeling pretty good overall about his D-Line roster.

I'm ok with no juco. Unless the DT spot is a gigantic dumpster fire this year, then I don't see the need for a juco. In 17 we'll have Stoltenberg and Newell as Jr, and the Davis^2 as So, plus (maybe) 3 HS DTs as Fr. That seems ok if the coaches are good with the play of Stolt, Newell, and Davis^2.

We totally screwed the pooch with Maurice in 2013 though. He should have redshirted and he would be a Sr in 17. Not sure he was worth the 3 tackles he contributed that year.

Completely agree on Maurice, wish he would have redshirted. However, if he had he may well still have been gone after this year if he has the type of year many expect out of him. If JP feels confident with what he has for 2017 then I am ok with no JUCO, but I am a bit puzzled by it as it means that at least 1 true freshmen will be expected to contribute. For linemen it is tough to be an immediate contributor and you have to wonder if it is in the best interest for the Fr. DT to be pressed in right away without a full cycle of S&C. Heck it was done with Maurice for similar depth concerns and we all lament it now.

Completely agree on Maurice, wish he would have redshirted. However, if he had he may well still have been gone after this year if he has the type of year many expect out of him. If JP feels confident with what he has for 2017 then I am ok with no JUCO, but I am a bit puzzled by it as it means that at least 1 true freshmen will be expected to contribute. For linemen it is tough to be an immediate contributor and you have to wonder if it is in the best interest for the Fr. DT to be pressed in right away without a full cycle of S&C. Heck it was done with Maurice for similar depth concerns and we all lament it now.

In a perfect world, we could find a juco to transfer in at summer. Being that is unlikely, I think we need to see what the current roster does. There is plenty of potential, but DT is often full of people who never reach their potential, so Johnson could be the guy to insure we don't continue to have an issue at the spot beyond 2016.