No More Tackling in Ivy League Football Practices

It is possible to practic tackling without full tackles. Teach how to wrap up, hit low, and where to place the head. Tackling will still happen in practice, just less often.

As someone above posted, it may hurt the offense. I think it would hurt the offensive players more than the defensive players.

This isn't really that big a deal, because they're specifically talking about regular season practices. They were talking about it on this week's ESPN CFB podcast, and they said that most teams don't do it. They had David Shaw on the show, and he said that even Stanford (who many see as a toughness first team) doesn't tackle during the season.

Shaw was on Cowherd's show a few days ago on Fox sports and said he is against the Ivy League's decision. Shaw told Cowherd it's "impossible" to have a tough team that doesn't practice tackling, and the writer of this article said Shaw has the team practice at least 12-15 min. of contact in every practice (I'm sure the type of contact varies depending on which days they're allowed to wear pads).

Is he telling people two conflicting things?

This isn't really that big a deal, because they're specifically talking about regular season practices. They were talking about it on this week's ESPN CFB podcast, and they said that most teams don't do it. They had David Shaw on the show, and he said that even Stanford (who many see as a toughness first team) doesn't tackle during the season.

Shaw was on Cowherd's show a few days ago on Fox sports and said he is against the Ivy League's decision. Shaw told Cowherd it's "impossible" to have a tough team that doesn't practice tackling, and the writer of this article said Shaw has the team practice at least 12-15 min. of contact in every practice (I'm sure the type of contact varies depending on which days they're allowed to wear pads).

Is he telling people two conflicting things?

What the hell.... I'll see if I can find the part again and transcribe it.

You would be nuts to decide after never practicing your routines to go to your first gymnastics meet and now start doing your double back with full twist into a layout landing off the high bar. Disaster is what will happen.

I'm an ex gymnast, was at a rhythmic gymnastics leotard shopping the other day and heard that one guy did that. But i hardly believed that. So I'm with you on trying to keep with a programme