The Abortion Dress

http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/melanie-hunter/actress-martha-plimpton-shouts-her-abortion-abortion-dress

Quote:

Plimpton told ABC News last year that she had “two abortions as a young woman,” which “made it possible for me to live out my dreams and do what I really wanted to do with my life.”

Oh, how sweet.

I wonder about the potential dreams and accomplishments of the aborted babies. I'm sure their combined contribution to society would have been much greater than this

self centered, self important D actress. I guess she proves that 2 wrongs do make it right and should be celebrated.

• Fire 2

I have a different view. Her life and her choices for what to do with it are important, too, and should be affirmed. Children should be born into families ready and willing to accept them, and all children who are born should be able to grow up and make their own reproductive choices, whether that's having a big family or focusing on a career.

I know someone who decided on an abortion when the circumstance wasn't right (and that's simply not for any of us to judge). Later she did have a child -- one who wouldn't have been otherwise -- and I'm enormously happy for all of them.

I take some exception to the sanctimony and the condemnations that always seem to trail women on this topic. I think if you have a certain view about it, put it to practice in your own life and don't rush to tear down the character of those whose lives you don't know.

It's good that more people are taking note of and campaigning against the stigma. Abortions are probably more common than you think, and it's not necessary, loving, or helpful to cow and shame the women who have had them into hiding it. I think we'd all like lower incidence, and better education and birth control are the keys to that; they've contributed to great progress even in fairly recent years.

• Fire 4

Well I guess you're certainly free to feel and act that way about murder if you wish zoogs.

I'm sure not going to get anybody's face and try to make them feel bad for some choices they have made but, you have to admit (or maybe you don't) that being proud of having had multiple abortions and bragging about it with an abortion dress is taking it a bit too far. It sure is for me. I found this linked story repulsive. I used to like Plimpton as an actress in Raising Hope and the Real O'Neals...not anymore. I won't be able to watch her without thinking of her selfish abortion dress.

Why is killing a fetus an acceptable choice but failing to choose to be responsible with a persons reproductive activities not important? How about not getting pregnant if you don't want a child? What's wrong with that approach? They make these things called contraceptives and, the good thing is, you don't have to start a life and then kill it to prevent an unwanted birth.

If we can legally and morally kill a person who is brain dead (i.e., remove them from feeding tubes) then why is it immoral and should be illegal to end the existence of something that's never achieved consciousness?

I was not aware "we" could morally kill a person who is brain dead.

Also, I don't believe "achieved consciousness" is the make or break point for a whole bunch of people in this debate.

Some, actually a whole bunch of, people believe that life is created at the moment of conception.

Some people feel that ending a life, for whatever reason, through whatever means, is not up to us but rather should be determined by natural death. I'm not saying I am of this belief in all cases but I also sure don't think abortion should be used as simply another birth control option.

• Fire 1

The source of this article is not at all impartial news.

How about not getting pregnant if you don't want a child? What's wrong with that approach?

Woah. Well, it doesn't always work. But sure -- sex ed & contraceptive access are very important from a public health standpoint. As I said, improvements in these areas have and will continue to drive down rates of unwanted pregnancies.

Respecting life means respecting the lives of the living, too. An adult woman who doesn't want to become a mother (at that time, or maybe ever) shouldn't be compelled to become one. That's not selfishness, it's personal agency. It's probably a safe bet that people who want to avoid pregnancy are in fact, trying to do so.

• Fire 1

The source of this article is not at all impartial news.

How about not getting pregnant if you don't want a child? What's wrong with that approach?

Woah. It doesn't always work. But sure -- sex ed & contraceptive access are very important from a public health standpoint. As I said, improvements in these areas have and will continue to drive down rates of unwanted pregnancies.

I knew that was going to be coming back at me.

Personally, I am not opposed to abortion in every and all situations. Rape, incest, when and if the mother's life is in danger would meet the threshold for me. And, even in some "accidental" pregnancy situations, if the people involved made good faith efforts at preventing the pregnancy, I would not have a sever moral problem with it in some cases. I realize we cannot know what is in a persons heart or if they did in fact make a reasonable effort to prevent becoming pregnant. But I'm not proposing making it illegal. I am simply saying I don't believe it is right to use it as birth control and really not right to brag about it, be proud of killing another life, or celebrate a persons selfishness with an abortion dress as in the linked story.

If we can legally and morally kill a person who is brain dead (i.e., remove them from feeding tubes) then why is it immoral and should be illegal to end the existence of something that's never achieved consciousness?

Also, I don't believe "achieved consciousness" is the make or break point for a whole bunch of people in this debate.

Some, actually a whole bunch of, people believe that life is created at the moment of conception.

Some people feel that ending a life, for whatever reason, through whatever means, is not up to us but rather should be determined by natural death. I'm not saying I am of this belief in all cases but I also sure don't think abortion should be used as simply another birth control option.

i don't have a strong opinion either way, but it does seem that consciousness, measured by some sort of brain activity, is a more reasonable point of demarcation than conception or cardiac death.

And, even in some "accidental" pregnancy situations, if the people involved made good faith efforts at preventing the pregnancy

Hey, I agree. Are you sure that this actress didn't do that, though?

How do you know that the vast majority of abortions aren't from pregnancies that people made good faith efforts to prevent?

If I were to tell you that this is a fact, and also that those same women aren't able to discuss it openly because of the wild character assumptions that tend to follow it, wouldn't you agree that an effort to raise awareness, empathy, and understanding for them -- to allow them to open up on a difficult issue rather than face stigma -- wouldn't you be on board with that as a good thing? I suspect so, JJ, and that we're not far apart.

My comment came from the position of trying to assume I really don't care if some one has an abortion as far as killing a baby.

I still get the same reaction.

This lady is proud of the fact that not once but twice she and her partner ( yes he is a part of this) were so irresponsible that this was required for her to have a fulfilling life.

She is so proud of it that she is going to advertise it on her clothing.

That is just weirdly odd to me.

i don't have a strong opinion either way, but it does seem that consciousness, measured by some sort of brain activity, is a more reasonable point of demarcation than conception or cardiac death.

So when does consciousness begin?

And, even in some "accidental" pregnancy situations, if the people involved made good faith efforts at preventing the pregnancy

Hey, I agree. Are you sure that this actress didn't do that, though?How do you know that the vast majority of abortions aren't from pregnancies that people made good faith efforts to prevent?If I were to tell you that this is a fact, and also that those same women aren't able to discuss it openly because of the wild character assumptions that tend to follow it, wouldn't you agree that an effort to raise awareness, empathy, and understanding for them -- to allow them to open up on a difficult issue rather than face stigma -- wouldn't you be on board with that as a good thing? I suspect so, JJ, and that we're not far apart.

What I'm sure of, based on that article, is that she felt no shame whatsoever in ending at least two other lives. Her career was clearly more important to her than 2 beating hearts. She even went out of her way to wear a special dress to celebrate her actions. I'm guessing she wasn't too broke up about it and maybe she should have been. Maybe sometimes a little stigma serves a purpose. Maybe not every action or decision needs to be one that people are proud of. Some actions are wrong and, in those cases, I would prefer that they be treated like they're wrong and not celebrated as no big deal.