Recruiting Bigs

He's actually from Kimball.

Not sure on this. Maybe it's just because he always looked awkward to me but I watched him play several times in high school and I didn't think he was B1G material. Not that he doesn't have talent, I just wasn't convinced it would translate well. Different kind of player but I thought the same about Wes Eikmeier a few years ago - great high school player and solid lower-division college player but just doesn't quite fit in a Power 5 conference.

My mistake on the town. I heard he was a lot bigger weight wise and the redshirt helped him out. Sure looked good in the game I watched but a ton of things can change from your senior year to two years in college

The bolded part says most of it.

Fact is, from time to time a kid from out here is going to be overlooked. Especially when he may have been a little undersized coming out of HS.

Sounds like a kid whose body didn't fully mature till into his Freshman year in college.

I can relate to that.

So you are saying he was undersized coming out of high school but fully matured by his Freshman year? How is that even possible, isn't that typically in the same calendar year? I supposed he could have waited a year before enrolling.

I don't know the kid at all. I'm just giving input from what I have read here.

Typically, I would say on average the end of a kid's freshman year in college is roughly 12 months after graduating from HS his senior year. That obviously is going to happen over time. I'm assuming by the time he was well into the BB season, he had been in the weight room with a nutrition program.

And, in those 12 months, my body matured quite a bit and I gained quite a bit of weight (not all from beer and pizza).

Not sure on this. Maybe it's just because he always looked awkward to me but I watched him play several times in high school and I didn't think he was B1G material. Not that he doesn't have talent, I just wasn't convinced it would translate well. Different kind of player but I thought the same about Wes Eikmeier a few years ago - great high school player and solid lower-division college player but just doesn't quite fit in a Power 5 conference.

My mistake on the town. I heard he was a lot bigger weight wise and the redshirt helped him out. Sure looked good in the game I watched but a ton of things can change from your senior year to two years in college

Fact is, from time to time a kid from out here is going to be overlooked. Especially when he may have been a little undersized coming out of HS.

Sounds like a kid whose body didn't fully mature till into his Freshman year in college.

I can relate to that.

So you are saying he was undersized coming out of high school but fully matured by his Freshman year? How is that even possible, isn't that typically in the same calendar year? I supposed he could have waited a year before enrolling.

He is a redshirt freshman so he's been in college for over a year and a half.

Daum is 6-9, 230 lbs. Michael Jacobsen is 6-8, 222 lbs as a true freshman. Daum is more of a wing than Jacobsen. Jacobsen was listed as a power forward out of high school but the coaches see him as more of a small forward as he develops an outside shot. Daum is definitely a small forward. So even if he did come here, he wouldn't be solving our issues of having a "big man." He would simply be adding more depth at our deepest position - playing a similar position as Shields, White, McVeigh, Fuller and Jacobsen.

• Fire 1

I can relate to that.

He is a redshirt freshman so he's been in college for over a year and a half.

Daum is 6-9, 230 lbs. Michael Jacobsen is 6-8, 222 lbs as a true freshman. Daum is more of a wing than Jacobsen. Jacobsen was listed as a power forward out of high school but the coaches see him as more of a small forward as he develops an outside shot. Daum is definitely a small forward. So even if he did come here, he wouldn't be solving our issues of having a "big man." He would simply be adding more depth at our deepest position - playing a similar position as Shields, White, McVeigh, Fuller and Jacobsen.

lol, that explains it. I was wondering "how the heck?"

I can relate to that.

I don't know the kid at all. I'm just giving input from what I have read here.

Typically, I would say on average the end of a kid's freshman year in college is roughly 12 months after graduating from HS his senior year. That obviously is going to happen over time. I'm assuming by the time he was well into the BB season, he had been in the weight room with a nutrition program.

And, in those 12 months, my body matured quite a bit and I gained quite a bit of weight (not all from beer and pizza).

not saying it can't happen, it just seemed like a short time frame is all.

So...now that Hammond is leaving, I think our Roster right now for next year is sitting at:

Webster 6'4" SR

Watson 6' SO

Morrow 6'7" SO

McVeigh 6'7" SO

Jacobson 6'8" SO

Fuller 6'7" JR

White 6'7" SR

Gill 6'3" SR

Evelyn 6'2" SO

Roby 6'7" FR

Arop 6'5" FR

Horne 6'7" FR

I think Div 1 Basketball is allowed 13 scholarships...correct? In the Hammond thread, I see people claiming we have two scholarships to give out. My list has 12 players.

Where do we have 2 scholarships available?

PS....there is a lot of talent on that roster.

Arop is Class of 2017 so he won't be here next year.

OK...then I'm really confused on basketball recruiting.

If you remember, I had a question about the program at the Heartland Hoops Classic that (I think) listed him as a junior. I thought you said he is a senior this year.

Well....if he is a senior this year, why then wouldn't he be on next year's roster?

Sorry for the confusion.

If you remember, I had a question about the program at the Heartland Hoops Classic that (I think) listed him as a junior. I thought you said he is a senior this year.

Well....if he is a senior this year, why then wouldn't he be on next year's roster?

Sorry for the confusion.

You thought he was listed as a senior in the program but I looked in my program and he was only listed as a junior.

Sorry for the confusion.

You thought he was listed as a senior in the program but I looked in my program and he was only listed as a junior.

Oh...OK....My memory fails me sometimes.

Thanks.

• Fire 1

He's listed as the same height and 15-25 pounds lighter than Hammond. I guess I don't see how he will be able to do any better at C.

While I agree that the ability to throw your weight around down low is important, especially in the Big10, there is something to be said for athleticism. He is currently 6'11", 215. If he can use quickness and moves, that can counter lack of weight somewhat. Hammond didn't have a lot of that.

I did not watch a lot of Oregon basketball this year. I did catch some of their last couple games in the tournament.

It sure seemed like they are were having very good success with players about the size we have on our roster right now. I don't remember any of their 6'9" or 6'10" kids getting much playing time when I was watching.

So, it is possible to have success without a dominant big guy. I hate saying that because I love watching a really good big guy play.

If we don't have anyone new come on board, it is going to be really interesting to see how the team changes their type of play to try to be successful.

I did not watch a lot of Oregon basketball this year. I did catch some of their last couple games in the tournament.

It sure seemed like they are were having very good success with players about the size we have on our roster right now. I don't remember any of their 6'9" or 6'10" kids getting much playing time when I was watching.

So, it is possible to have success without a dominant big guy. I hate saying that because I love watching a really good big guy play.

If we don't have anyone new come on board, it is going to be really interesting to see how the team changes their type of play to try to be successful.

They have seven guys who average at least 20 minutes per game. One of them is 6-10, another is 6-9 then one 6-7 guy and two that are 6-6. The 6-10 guy averages 12 points, 7.4 rebounds and almost three blocks so I'd say that's pretty dominant, for sure on the defensive end. The 6-9 guy averages almost two blocks. Plus their wing guys are crazy athletic so that helps make up for being a little shorter.

Boucher from Oregon (6-10) averages 25 minutes a game and starts a lot to my knowledge. At 200 lbs though, he's not really a BIG guy. Pretty decent shooter actually. All these teams playing without traditional big guys are trying to emulate the GS Warriors. You don't HAVE to have a huge, hulking big man, but you need to have a forward that is big-ish and strong enough to guard a traditional big guy when it's called for. Nebraska doesn't seem to have either.

Find a guy like Draymond Green (6-7, 230) who isn't huge, but he's strong enough to battle inside and skilled enough to cause mismatches on offense.