Athletic Department under review

Redux

We live in a tops turvy world when people start thinking they know more about football than Osborne. I reckon these same people argue techniques with their brain surgeons too.

That said, me pointing out two (of many) examples of knowledgable people who thought it was a bad call isn't saying those two are infallible as much as just refuting a silly suggestion that it was a no brainer to fire Frank after he revamped his staff and went 9-3.

We haven't had a top to bottom group of assistants as good as the '03 staff since then.

We haven't had a season with only 3 loses since then either.

Or a schedule that easy either. NU beat zero ranked teams and lost badly to the three ranked teams that they did play. Frank's "staff" wasn't better, they played a historically easy schedule. How can it be considered a "good" staff when Barney is the OC?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2003/seasontype/3

Your irrational hatred for lifelong Huskers is noted. Also please note that the SOS for that year was ranked mainly between 30 and 40 and at least this site lists NU as 18th in the country that year. http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/2003_archive_computer_rankings.html Sagran had them at 23rd. Again, they take into account SOS.

The funny thing is, when NU beats a team, it can knock them out of the rankings (e.g., that year, Oklahoma State finished just outside the top 25 in part because of their loss to NU).

It's what makes the "record against ranked opponents" potentially deceptive.

Anyway, applying your methodology, NU never played a tough schedule under Callahan, because I don't think he ever beat a team that finished ranked, did he? Certainly not in '07, which some claim was a very difficult schedule (though, by historical comparison, it wasn't.... Callahan just made those teams look real good and helped them on their way to rankings).

• Fire 1

Kevin Cosgrove's defense gave up 38 points a game.

That number again: 38 points a game.

Bill Callahan's offense was indeed a paper tiger.

Kevin Cosgrove's defense was still a wet fart.

I you remember those games -- I do -- you'll remember that the defense managed to be perfectly appalling independently of the offense.

Fun fact: one of the reasons the offense got so many points in garbage time is because there WAS so much garbage time. That's what happens when your defense is spotting the offense 30 point deficits.

Maybe if Callahan had pounded the rock a bit more we wouldn't have lost to Kansas 76 - 39.

• Fire 2

We live in a tops turvy world when people start thinking they know more about football than Osborne. I reckon these same people argue techniques with their brain surgeons too.

That said, me pointing out two (of many) examples of knowledgable people who thought it was a bad call isn't saying those two are infallible as much as just refuting a silly suggestion that it was a no brainer to fire Frank after he revamped his staff and went 9-3.

We haven't had a top to bottom group of assistants as good as the '03 staff since then.

We haven't had a season with only 3 loses since then either.

Or a schedule that easy either. NU beat zero ranked teams and lost badly to the three ranked teams that they did play. Frank's "staff" wasn't better, they played a historically easy schedule. How can it be considered a "good" staff when Barney is the OC?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2003/seasontype/3

Your irrational hatred for lifelong Huskers is noted. Also please note that the SOS for that year was ranked mainly between 30 and 40 and at least this site lists NU as 18th in the country that year. http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/2003_archive_computer_rankings.html Sagran had them at 23rd. Again, they take into account SOS.

The funny thing is, when NU beats a team, it can knock them out of the rankings (e.g., that year, Oklahoma State finished just outside the top 25 in part because of their loss to NU).

It's what makes the "record against ranked opponents" potentially deceptive.

Anyway, applying your methodology, NU never played a tough schedule under Callahan, because I don't think he ever beat a team that finished ranked, did he? Certainly not in '07, which some claim was a very difficult schedule (though, by historical comparison, it wasn't.... Callahan just made those teams look real good and helped them on their way to rankings).

I don't have a hatred for any lifelong huskers, I have the ability to seperate emotions and facts unlike yourself.

So you are hanging your hat on beating a team that was ranked #24 when NU beat them the opening week of the season and fell out of the rankings after their 4th loss. That right there tells how weak the schedule was. They lost to the two ranked teams by 24 (31-7 @UT and 29 points at home to KSU 38-9) So that "great coaching staff had NU averaging a whopping 9 PPG against teams that ended up ranked at the end of the season. They only scored 17 against oSu and statically the offense was worse in 2003 than it was in 2002 when NU had to beat McNeese State to make a bowl game. Then throw in the 17 point loss to an unranked Missouri 41-24, then you have a team that can't complete with the better teams in the league. The facts are that NU went in the toilet under Franks watch, but don't let facts get in the way of your irrational homerism that fits your agenda that a "lifelong husker" can't fail at NU just because they are a "lifelong husker."

In 2007 NU faced three top 10 teams in the final rankings and 10 bowl teams overall. So yes, 2007 was a much tougher schedule than 2003, it isn't an excuse for a 5-7 overall record, but to try to compare the 2003 schedule and to say that it was anywhere comparable to the 2007 schedule shows how stubborn you are to admit that you are wrong in spite of being proved wrong with facts.

• Fire 7

Your math sucks, zoomie.

Anyway, I was simply pointed out that by your methodology of evaluating SOS, '07 was a weak schedule because NU failed to beat any ranked teams.

And yes, your hate is irrational. We had a great staff in '03. Solich as HC, pelini at DC, cotton at OC, Gill as AHC, Brown and the list goes on (Epley in the weight room).

If you think the '07 staff was better, or even this current staff, more power to you. I think you'd find few who agree, particularly about '07.

Solich, HC at Ohio

Pelini, HC at YSU

Gill, seriously forget where he went after KU fired him

We get it, you are forever sore Frank was canned. Maybe he shoulda beefed up his recruiting efforts and toned down his side chick efforts. It happened dude, I'm like 99% sure it did.

Even if he wasn't getting action on the side, he wasn't blowing people away as a coach. He had the misfortune of following 3 championships under TO and it became clear quickly he wasn't going to have us competing at a high level every year. At the time, Nebraska demanded that.

Unfortunately we brought in a guy who felt flash was the way to go and hired a guy to coach the team that by almost every aspect WAS NOT A COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH. Cally was, is and always will be an NFL guy. THAT is why his staff was a mess, THAT is why we got blown out by the likes of KU, THAT is why his pass heavy system failed here.

But you go on and on and on and on and call Riley the Great Experiment II when he and Cally are almost nothing alike except for their respective systems feature more passing than your favorite friggin coach Frank Solich's system. What's Frank have to say about this? "I can't believe no Power 5 team hired me away from Ohio since I'm so damn good!"

• Fire 1

Your math sucks, zoomie.

Anyway, I was simply pointed out that by your methodology of evaluating SOS, '07 was a weak schedule because NU failed to beat any ranked teams.

And yes, your hate is irrational. We had a great staff in '03. Solich as HC, pelini at DC, cotton at OC, Gill as AHC, Brown and the list goes on (Epley in the weight room).

If you think the '07 staff was better, or even this current staff, more power to you. I think you'd find few who agree, particularly about '07.

Nah, you are in the minorty. That is a absoulty terrible coaching staff. The funny part is that you don't realize that the only reason Frank had any kind of winning record as a HC was because he was lucky enough to have four years of Tom's recruits. He was handed Heisman talent and depth that saved his butt for 4 years. Once they were gone in year five, then the embarrassment began.

Great staff? Frank was a bad HC and allowed the program to slip for the reasons that have been brought to your attention numerous times (that you choose to ignore). Tom could have came back in 2004 and coached the team and would have struggled to win 6 or 7 games with only three DL on scholarship and Joe Daliey who is the worst QB in modern NU history (Mike Grant can breath a sigh of relief) as the only scholarship QB on that team.

Pellini was a great DC? If so then why are his defenses responsible for 7 of the 10 worst performances in school history? Everyone likes to (deservedly) rag on Cozgrove for his bad defenses here, but Bo's were statically worse. But people like you give him a pass because Tom once again picked the wrong guy for the job. Since Tom picked him then he can't fail because in your mind Tom apparently isn't human and never makes mistakes.

Cotton and Gill are jokes for coaches, nothing more than a part of the "good old boy" system that protected unproductive coaches. At lease Gill had some success at Buffalo (and routinely kicked Franks butt), Barney has never had any success to speak of. Most of the time you had to try to figure out what exactly Barney was getting paid to do other than sleep at his desk.

That 07 staff was far better than the 2003 staff. Everyone can see that except you. They left Bo enough talent to make everyone think that he was going to be decent, once those guys left, his defenses started to set records in a bad way.

Don't feed the troll. There is a convenient feature on this board where you can ignore a specific user's posts. The only problem is when other user's quote that guy and you still see his crazed rants.

That is what got me hooked into this tired conversation in the first place.

Pelini is actually a good DC.......if he has great talent to use. If he has to recruit them himself the production drops significantly.

Gill was pretty good at Buffalo. He was atrocious at Kansas.

I totally agree, he was good at OU and LSU with Stoops and Miles talent. He did well with Bill's players here.

That continues to prove that the staff from 2003 is a MAC level coaching staff. Which isn't a bad thing if you are at Ohio U or Buffalo, but if you are at Nebraska, well you saw the results.

None of the coaches being talked about had or has what it takes to be successful as head coach at Nebraska. Solich, Gill, Cotton, Callahan, Pelini, while they had their different strengths and weaknesses, all failed (or would have). Arguing over which sucked worse years after the fact seems pretty pointless.

The jury is still out on Riley, but I see a lot of things I like. Recruiting is off to a good start, we finished the season with quality wins and momentum, and our coach's personality is a great fit for the culture of the state.

• Fire 1