Athletic Department under review

Redux

How many other ADs have picked two coaches in a row that posted .700+ records?

I've picked this bone with you, and others, on this board before - particularly in relation to Pelini, he was 8-17 vs. AP ranked teams (3-9 on the road), had no BCS bowl appearances, no conference titles, had at least 3 losses every year and he was 3-4 in this last 7 November games.

Supporting Pelini by saying he had a .700+ win record is as ridiculous as damning Pelini because he had really poor sideline behavior. Relying on either/or is equally absurd and does not tell the whole story of Bo Pelini and why he was fired. He had very legitimate, well-document performance failures that supported his release.

What you said is why I laugh every time someone like cm husker brings up Frank and Bo's winning percentages. There are well documented reasons as to why Frank was fired as well.

Well documented? How about you provide one single link to these off the field reasons.

People who know and like Frank Solich were not surprised when he got a DUI in his first season at Ohio. This part at least is documented and linked, and only half of the scenario the University of Nebraska was concerned about.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/news/story?id=2240823

http://espn.go.com/college-football/news/story?id=2240823

The other half? I guess you'll just have to trust me and a lot of peers and young women who were around Frank years before Pedersen entered the picture. Frank was definitely a player. However you felt about infidelity itself, some of the young ladies were getting a little too young, and society was getting less forgiving about unwanted advances. If you believe people who told stories about Carl Pelini banging an alumni's wife, and if you believe stories about Bo Pelini being really nice when you meet him in person, you need to believe that Frank was indeed a party machine.

I do believe he could have banged the entire cheerleading squad if he'd brought home an NC or simply avoided that 7-7 season, but that's another story.

If you honestly search your memory banks: while many people didn't think Solich should have been fired, it was fans and alumni, not the administration, publicly grumbling about Solich breaking Nebraska's historic streak of winning seasons, running an undynamic offense, embarrassing itself in big games and losing recruiting battles to schools Nebraska used to dominate. Hard to believe, but back then a lot of folks already felt Nebraska football was sliding into irrelevance.

If private Solich was increasingly a liability, there was enough public dissatisfaction to give the University cover. Once the deed was done, I think most Nebraskans were genuinely curious and hopeful about the coach they could attract. It was a wake-up call to all of us that good candidates might not come to the University of Nebraska just because we want them. Bill Callahan was the offensive minded NFL head coach one year removed from the Super Bowl. Bo Pelini was the defensive guru on the previous year's NCAA championship team. Both hires were defensible at the time, and don't need any conspiracy theories to explain themselves. It also doesn't work to blame any one person, even if you desperately want to blame the pencil-necked administrator who Nebraskan fans also thought was a good hire at the time.

sh#t happens.

Guy's post is consistent with what I have heard for years from a lot of different sources. I've heard stories of Frank's drinking & philandering for as long as I can remember. The only proof I have personally came from my grandparents. They frequented one of Frank's favorite Lincoln restaurants for years. They would often see Frank there with a woman - not his wife and rarely the same woman. I heard similar stories in college from those that grew up around Lincoln. When I have spoken about the alcohol/womanizing with former Solich players, they have said this was his reputation.

I have also heard from a couple people working in the AD in the late 90s that Frank agreed to curb these activities when he took the HC position. His failure to do so gave SP the ammunition he wanted (again rumor). When SP was hired, I recall hearing from a number of sources about SP & Solich having a huge rift in the early-/mid-80s which led to SP leaving UNL. This was well before Solich was fired but still nothing more than a story/rumor...

I don't know how much truth there is to any of this as none of it is first-hand knowledge. It has been a very consistent story/rumor I have heard for decades. The only other story I recall persisting so consistently over an extended period of time relate to Bob Devaney and his "partying"...

As GC, Enhance, Knapp, Saunders, Moraine & other consistently reasonable posters have indicated, these situations are multi-faceted but not necessarily overly complex. This doesn't make it a conspiracy nor does it completely define the people involved. Even the greatest people in history were fallible human beings. Why couldn't this be the case with AD/Coaches/etc??

• Fire 4

I thought Peterson was a jack ass and wasn't in favor of firing Frank at that point in time.

However, I've let it go and moved on. Some other people need to do the same thing.

Yup. People seem to think that thinking Franking being fired was correct, while also thinking Steve Pederson sucked at his job are mutually exclusive stances.

I don't get it.

• Fire 1

I thought Peterson was a jack ass and wasn't in favor of firing Frank at that point in time.

However, I've let it go and moved on. Some other people need to do the same thing.

Yup. People seem to think that thinking Franking being fired was correct, while also thinking Steve Pederson sucked at his job are mutually exclusive stances.

I don't get it.

I have no problem with Frank being fired. But the way the hiring of the new coach was handled showed Pederson's ineptitude.

I also had no problem with Callahan being fired. But I think Osborne didn't do enough homework on finding the correct replacement.

I had no problem with Pelini being fired. And I am not at a point to say whether Eichorst made a good decision or not for hiring Riley.

• Fire 3

Interviewing people that got canned seems like a waste of time...

The word is that Paul Meyers was forced out. I think his insights would be valuable in assessing culture.

He was...

And yes, this is inside information.

Do you have any insight into why he'd be forced out?

I think Perlman and Osborne can share a lot of the blame for what is ailing Husker sports right now. Especially in men's sports.

Osborne? But, not SPEM? Or, Ickyhorst?

Wow! So much appreciation for Osborne, who got the task of cleaning up Prickman's original mess, Yet got cut out of the process which could have prevented Prickman from making yet another sorry decision.

The nicknames are as obnoxious as hell. Cut it out.

You might want to check your dictionary. SPEM is an acronym. As for what I use to refer to the current Chancellor and his AD, it is the best I can come up with for those who deserve absolutely no respect for the way they have allowed the NU football program to gravitate into mediocrity.

I think Perlman and Osborne can share a lot of the blame for what is ailing Husker sports right now. Especially in men's sports.

Wow! So much appreciation for Osborne, who got the task of cleaning up Prickman's original mess, Yet got cut out of the process which could have prevented Prickman from making yet another sorry decision.

You might want to check your dictionary. SPEM is an acronym. As for what I use to refer to the current Chancellor and his AD, it is the best I can come up with for those who deserve absolutely no respect for the way they have allowed the NU football program to gravitate into mediocrity.

You could just be an adult

Or maybe that is too difficult for you to do

Unless this is a way to show your sense of humor

Seriously, you need to be more creative

Unless this is the best you can do

Certainly wouldn't hurt for you to try

Keep trying, though. Maybe you'll get it one day

• Fire 1

I agree the UNL AD is doing new & creative things with technology. I doubt they use the Software Process Engineering Metamodel though I suppose it is possible...