Athletic Department under review

Redux

Osborne is hardly infallible and Osborne himself would be the first to tell you that.

It's not about "infallibility". It's that the worst time our football program has seen in decades has been when Osborne was not involved, or was sidestepped.

What are you going to do when the man dies? At some point we have to move on from this idea that only Osborne can keep things together here at Nebraska. Reality is that eventually everyone dies.

So... cut him out before we have to because he'll be gone eventually? Interesting.

Wonder if Berkshire Hathaway shareholders would feel about a similar approach.

I'm not surprised you are intentionally being indigenous.

Is CM is an introduced species?

You said it, not me! biggrin1.gif

Error fixed, thanks for pointing it out. I have no idea what happened... biggrin1.gif

I don't think anyone is saying Tom Osborne was idfalliable. But I can't see a single reason why Harvey shouldn't have kept TO (or the regents) in the loop. Tom didn't need to have the final say, but not having him apart of the process is wrong.

It's the least he could have done considering Tom saved his job.

• Fire 1

And, of course, we can’t forget that Eichorst was selected by Perlman in a process that did not include Eichorst’s predecessor, Tom Osborne, a sore subject in a lot of parts of the state.

OWH

I laugh at the stupidity in bold. Unless Osborne is an employee/contractor of the University in some capacity then he should have ZERO say in what happens there. None. If Osborne wants to have a say in the Univeristy's dealings then maybe he should apply and get hired for an actual job there.

Tom Osborne was the Athletic Director of the University when this happened. Harvey didn't consult with TO regarding a replacement, while TO was still employed by the University.

I've also heard from a few different places that Harvey was looking for a replacement before Tom even said he was going to retire, which triggered the abrupt announcement/press conference that nobody saw coming.

Why did Perlman need to consult with Osborne regarding Osborne's replacement? Remember, the last time Osborne recommended an athletic director we got Steve Pederson.

Maybe because Harvey started contacting people before Tom had even said he was going to retire. Maybe because Harvey did it all on his own and didn't loop in the regents? Maybe because a desperate Harvey asked Tom to come save his butt after he F'd up the Pederson/Callahan boondoggle and cost the university millions by giving Bill and Steve extensions and raises 6 months before they were both fired.

Or maybe it's just because he's TOM OSBORNE and giving him a heads up that you're looking for his replacement while he's still employed is just a good idea?

I mean, consulting a conference rival who can't keep his head coaches is OK (Alvarez), but the guy who gave 40 years of his life to the program? Nah.

:facepalm:

Why do the Regents need to be involved in something the Chancellor is supposed to be able to do? If this is a requirement, then fine but if its not then why is this a big deal? If it wasn't a requirement then I see this as Perlman simply doing his job.

In regards to the bolded part, in all fairness I wouldn't be happy if that happened to me. That said, rumors that Perlman and Osborne don't get along have surfaced from time to time. When you don't get along with your boss, you are the one who generally loses.

My issue with needing Osborne's approval for anything to do with the Athletic Department and/or football program is that Osborne is not employed by the University in any manner that I am aware of. Anyone who isn't being employed by the University should have zero say in what goes on there. If you want his input, hire him either as an employee or a consultant. Otherwise just let the man go fishing. And as Knapp pointed out, Osborne is hardly infallible and Osborne himself would be the first to tell you that.

Uh, Tom was an employee of the University at the time in which we are discussing. That's why it's an issue.

What intrigues me is where would be today if Turner Gill had been given the reigns instead of Frank.

Pretty much where NU finds itself now, a football program gravitating towards mediocrity.

Because the two idiots, SPEM and Prickman, who discarded all the efforts of those before them, made the decisions then, and would have made the same decisions if Turner were HC.

How anyone can think Turner would have exceeded Solich's accomplishments, which included a Conference Championship, a Heisman trophy winner (among other awards), and a MNC appearance. Yet, that wasn't enough for the two idiots. They wanted change. And change, they (and sadly, the rest of us) got.

I like Turner, and would have supported him if he were chosen as HC. But, he didn't have the experience then to run NU's program. Ask Kansas.

I'm glad Turner didn't get the HC, because he too would have been vilified by so called "Husker fans" like Solich has been, all to justify the sorry decisions of two of the most anti-Husker football idiots ever to disgrace the halls of the AD.

I think Perlman and Osborne can share a lot of the blame for what is ailing Husker sports right now. Especially in men's sports.

Osborne? But, not SPEM? Or, Ickyhorst?

Wow! So much appreciation for Osborne, who got the task of cleaning up Prickman's original mess, Yet got cut out of the process which could have prevented Prickman from making yet another sorry decision.

Honestly, I find it pretty gross that you leave out Osborne's involvement in the Pedersen hire.

Not me. Osborne wasn't the one who actually hired SPEM. Neither was he the one who, despite the football program's gravitation towards mediocrity, gave him an ill-advised extension (along with his coach), costing NU unnecessary payouts when SPEM was, thankfully, fired.

I think Perlman and Osborne can share a lot of the blame for what is ailing Husker sports right now. Especially in men's sports.

Osborne? But, not SPEM? Or, Ickyhorst?

Wow! So much appreciation for Osborne, who got the task of cleaning up Prickman's original mess, Yet got cut out of the process which could have prevented Prickman from making yet another sorry decision.

What are you? 12?