School District Distributes Satanic Literature

This is absolutely absurd. I can understand potentially having books and reading materials that say it is OK not to believe in God which I am really conflicted about to be honest. But when they have a satanic children's coloring book and other Satanic books available for kids that is absolutely awful. If someone believes in Satan they obviously believe in higher powers, sowhy would we ever let children be let down the road of worshiping Satan? It's good versus evil so why would we ever open our kids to evil?

I fail to see why there is a controversy here. All the materialsboth the bibles and the Satanist coloring booksare voluntarily available upon request. If I understand correctly, they're not part of any school sanctioned curriculum, are they? :dunno:

I fail to see why there is a controversy here. All the materialsboth the bibles and the Satanist coloring booksare voluntarily available upon request. If I understand correctly, they're not part of any school sanctioned curriculum, are they? :dunno:

The controversy is the satanism coloring books didn't come with crayons; the child has to use their own blood.

This is absolutely absurd. I can understand potentially having books and reading materials that say it is OK not to believe in God which I am really conflicted about to be honest. But when they have a satanic children's coloring book and other Satanic books available for kids that is absolutely awful. If someone believes in Satan they obviously believe in higher powers, sowhy would we ever let children be let down the road of worshiping Satan? It's good versus evil so why would we ever open our kids to evil?

The teachings of Satanism aren't evil. You are being confused by the representation of Satan from the bible with the actual Satanic religion. If you looked into it with an open mind you would see this. This is not an endorsement of Satanism, just recognizing that there is some good philosophy in it...just as there is in the New Testament of the bible.

What other movements should we allow on campus to distribute their literature 'upon request'?

What other movements should we allow on campus to distribute their literature 'upon request'?

It's a travesty that they don't have Husker coloring books featuring Lil' Red. A TRAVESTY!!

It's a travesty that they don't have Husker coloring books featuring Lil' Red. A TRAVESTY!!

I am all for Husker coloring books in schools across the nation but the true travesty is that lil' Red exists. ;)

• Fire 1

"God is not dead" movies are just another chance for some Christians to promote the false narrative that Christians are persecuted in this country.

That said, the possibility of offending someone is never a reason not to make a movie. I don't know of any atheists that were offended by the movie...only amused.

I don't understand the use of persecution being used. Didn't feel that way at all about the movie and I consider myself a pretty emotional christian. So if I don't feel that way, dunno why non believers would.

Even the people behind these movies acknowledge that their central message lies in this supposed persecution of American Christians:

David A.R. White, the actor and producer behind the upcoming "God's Not Dead 2" film, has responded to accusations that the movie is full of so-called fake Christian persecution, by asking atheists why they are "so offended" by it if they feel it's not real.
"It's an interesting thing, because, if it wasn't real, why do they get so offended by it? I don't think it would annoy people if it wasn't true," White told TheBlaze earlier this week. "At the end of 'God's Not Dead 1′ and even part two, we throw up about 50 different court cases that are dealing with similar issues right now," he added.

The film traffics in the laziest tropes to establish its battle lines. (“Battle lines” being the film’s preferred schema — one pastor says: “We’re at war.”) This is the sort of movie where good people are super excited to say the words “Declaration of Independence” out loud and atheists all but cackle when a Christian doubles over in pain. When one hero’s cancer is cured, she chalks it up to the power of prayer rather than the efficacy of her doctors; that’s how we know she’s one of the good guys. Going to elite universities and watching Pretty Little Liars make you bad. Watching Duck Dynasty makes you good. And the problem with atheism, we are told by a Wise Old Man, is that “it doesn’t take away the pain, it just takes away the hope.” It also apparently turns you into the embodiment of evil.
Ray Wise is perhaps best known for his role in Twin Peaks as a man who serially raped and brutally murdered his own daughter, but here he plays by far his most vicious role: that of a sneering atheist attorney for the ACLU named Peter Cain (ahem, it’s actually spelled “Kane,” in an uncharacteristically subtle move). And throughout the film, the letters “ACLU” are uttered with the same solemn intonations with which previous cinematic warriors pronounced the word “Mordor.”
The movie is propaganda pitched at its own team (preaching, yes, to the choir). I don’t think that GNG2 actually has the power to convince a soul who wasn’t already sold on its various tenets; it is far too unsubtle in its construction and self-righteous in its proclamations to win over any new converts.
What it does instead is reinforce an echo chamber, provide a bolster for conservative Christians who may have been on the fence about whether or not to adopt a live-and-let-live attitude in the face of widening acceptance for gay rights or healthcare requirements that enshrine a woman’s right to contraception. Do not live and let live, the film enjoins. Stand up. Fight back. The system is wrong and you are right. The truths you hold in your heart are more valid and more mighty than any “law” or “judicial ruling.”
GNG2 is designed to be a springboard to activism; its website is replete with “Church kits,” encouraging viewers to take the fight home with them. And just before the end credits roll, we see a list of lawsuits, in which Christians were “condemned for their faith.” Many of the cases were litigated by the Alliance Defending Freedom, the conservative lobbying group that has described the right to an to abortion as “concocted,” and has referred to separation of church and state as a “myth.”
  • Fire 3

Here is something for everyone in this article. I've copied a large portion of it. I agree 100% wt what I placed in bold, underlined, large letters at the bottom. That is why I'm not 'afraid' of the modern day 'persecution' of Christians in America. Now if I was living in Iraq, Syria, etc that would be a different story - that is real persecution. But even wt that (Iraq & Syria) "To Die is Gain" being wt Christ as Paul proclaimed.

Regarding the God is Not Dead movies - I sometimes see a generational thing at work here. Us older Christians don't mind it for entertainment and for the way we learned (probably wrongly) how to evangelize the world - get them to church or to a church movie or to an event and then 'they' will change their mind. I think the younger generation sees it a lot differently. My 29 year old son doesn't care for these Christian movies (and he is a strongly committed Christian) because he thinks in the world of information available to all at a click of the button these types of presentations don't convince anyone and just reinforces the choir. He believes, and I agree, it is all about relationship. Our influence can be felt through long term relationship and by serving others wtout expectation of return (a faith commitment or not for example).. This was one of the reasons the church grew so fast in the 1st century - the church served and met the needs of its neighbors .

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/5/christians-facing-increased-persecution-america-po/

One Statement:

A poll finds that, in just two years, the number of Americans who think Christians are facing growing intolerance in the U.S. has drastically increased.

Sixty-three percent of respondents in the LifeWay Research survey said they agree or strongly agree that Christians are facing growing levels of persecution, up from 50 percent in 2013. The bulk of that surge comes from respondents who said they “strongly agree” with the statement, a number that increased from 28 percent to 38 percent.

A similar number, 60 percent, said religious liberty is on the decline in America, up from 54 percent in 2013.

The other side:

Although the poll shows higher rates of anxiety about the state of religious freedom, it also indicates that the issue is increasingly becoming polarized. A growing number of people in the survey said Christians “complain too much about how they are treated,” up from 34 percent in 2013 to 43 percent in 2015.

The heart of the article:

That decision has intensified the debate about where religious liberty ends and discrimination begins. Gay couples contend that their rights are violated when religious wedding vendors decline to service same-sex wedding ceremonies, while religious bakers and florists believe their right to religious freedom is the one being trammeled.

Several states have moved to enact legislation to protect the free exercise of religion, but liberals say such laws are discriminatory and businesses have made severe backlash threats in some states.

Greg Jao, director of campus engagement and vice president of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, said heightened media attention on those sorts of issues could be skewing the numbers in the short run.

“Because of the high media attention on a couple of key cases, I think Christians are more aware and feel more persecuted or less tolerated than they did before,” Mr. Jao said.

What has not helped their plight, he said, are reactions that at times are perceived as “histrionic.”

But Mr. Jao said the poll is not just perception. He said the nation is “re-evaluating the privileged place that religion had in its past.”

“A couple of decades ago, for instance, universities were delighted when we started a chapter, because we were considered a moral and calming influence on campus excess,” he said. “They thought it was excellent — they needed help leavening the party culture. Now, of course, Christians are no longer considered to be morally virtuous additions to a community. I think Christians are actually considered moral problems to solve, particularly because of human sexuality issues.”

Chris Stone, founder of Faith Driven Consumer, said the poll reflects an increasingly influential progressive movement that champions diversity but hypocritically works to exclude Christians from the mainstream culture.

“As the diversity-inclusion movement grows, and more and more companies become diversity-centric, what you really begin to see is a glaring gap that exists,” Mr. Stone said. “As a Christian, you begin to see that you’re being excluded from the culture, excluded from the conversation.”

“We’re seeing language that changes ‘free exercise,’ which is the Constitution, to ‘freedom of religion,’ which means you can do what you want within the four walls of your church, but you can’t bring it out,” he said.

Mr. Jao concurred with the view that the diversity movement has blacklisted Christians by selectively applying an “outdated definition of inclusion, welcome and tolerance.”

“They’re using essentially a ‘melting pot’ analogy — everyone should come together and blend together, and therefore everything should be accessible to everyone,” Mr. Jao said. “In fact, nobody teaches the melting pot analogy anymore in elementary school, because we’ve all realized that a melting pot analogy silences the people on the margins and those who are different, and assumes that we should all become homogenous and assimilated.”

Mr. Jao said exclusion of Christians in America “will get worse” but becoming part of the counterculture can free the church to pursue the tenants of the faith more honestly.

“Certainly Christianity in its origins was a minority religion working and being propagated in an environment that was profoundly antithetical and actively antagonistic toward Christian belief, and Christianity flourished,” Mr. Jao said. “Christianity is actually at its strongest when it’s not in charge.”

• Fire 1

I can understand these movies not being your "cup of tea".

However, it's interesting that some people just flat out don't like them and wish they weren't ever made.

If you don't like them, just don't watch them.

It's not that I just don't like them. I think they are damaging, unhelpful, deceitful and make me look bad by association.

Like if the ESPN 30 for 30 on the 90's Huskers teams comes out and it's basically a slam piece talking about county scholarships and steroids and everyone being a thug felon, you'd be pissed, and rightfully so. It's an unfair and misguided misrepresentation and in this case, it's the kind of sh#t that I'd imagine Jesus would turn over temple tables to get rid of.

• Fire 1

However, it's interesting that some people just flat out don't like them and wish they weren't ever made.

I will fight anyone on the notion that any movie 'should not be made'. And I completely agree with you about not watching something if it isn't your cup of tea.

But you have to admit its Christian groups that are usually the ones protesting certain movies, television shows, albums, books, etc. because they don't like the content.

It's not that I just don't like them. I think they are damaging, unhelpful, deceitful and make me look bad by association.

Like if the ESPN 30 for 30 on the 90's Huskers teams comes out and it's basically a slam piece talking about county scholarships and steroids and everyone being a thug felon, you'd be pissed, and rightfully so. It's an unfair and misguided misrepresentation and in this case, it's the kind of sh#t that I'd imagine Jesus would turn over temple tables to get rid of.

I understand where you are coming from but when I see something like 'Gods not dead', or a Kurt Cameron film, or even the Westboro Baptist Church and their shenanigans, I don't think its a representation of American Christianity. I see it as one of many views within Christianity in this country.

Not sure I follow. Are you saying that Christians are never put in the position to defend their belief to people who vehemently don't like it? That's all this movie is portraying.

Not sure I follow. Are you saying that Christians are never put in the position to defend their belief to people who vehemently don't like it? That's all this movie is portraying.

I'm saying that the story in the film has no bearing on reality and would never happen anywhere close to the way that it does in the movie.