Bowls, Bowls for everyone!!!

Redux

How many Bowls is enough?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Where's the option: let the market decide?

As long as taxpayers aren't asked to foot bills, I don't care how many bowl games there are. The more the merrier, imo

If it was up to the market teams would play 2 bowls a season. Tax payers will be asked to chip in.
Chicken little, is that you?
Nope, just a guy with an opinion.

Opinions are awesome.

Here are some facts: http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2014/01/01/do-the-economics-of-bowl-games-make-sense-for-schools-sponsors/#6d9225964af4

• Fire 2

I'm surprised by the sheer number of:

"I don't care, let Kansas and UCF play a bowl game!" followed by "Of course I'd never watch that."

Uhhhh

Believe it or not, there are fans outside of Nebraska (or this board) who would watch it.

I didn't watch the cotton bowl last year, so we should cancel it, right?

• Fire 2

"I don't care, let Kansas and UCF play a bowl game!" followed by "Of course I'd never watch that."

Uhhhh

Believe it or not, there are fans outside of Nebraska (or this board) who would watch it.

Yeah, that was the point he was making....

As long as taxpayers aren't asked to foot bills, I don't care how many bowl games there are. The more the merrier, imo

If it was up to the market teams would play 2 bowls a season. Tax payers will be asked to chip in.

Opinions are awesome.

Here are some facts: http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2014/01/01/do-the-economics-of-bowl-games-make-sense-for-schools-sponsors/#6d9225964af4

Not sure what that was supposed to prove

Opinions are awesome.

Not sure what that was supposed to prove

Who needs proof?

You're just a guy with an opinion, right?

• Fire 1

Uhhhh

Yeah, that was the point he was making....

It's the logical conclusion of his point.

Does King Redux just get to establish the "proper" number of bowls by edict?

• Fire 2

You have put a limit on supply of bowl games available in order to create a higher demand for getting into one. Letting the market decide the number of bowl games would trend toward an equilibrium of S&D, which is sort of what we have now. More coming in adds too much to supply.

However we may not have reached an equilibrium of money generated from the bowls, which contributes to more wanting to enter the market.

I enjoy college football very much and personally wish we had spring football in addition to the fall season. Heck, even year around with games about every 3 week-end might be perfect. I miss the games from New Years until September. Why would anyone seriously complain if there were more football games? Call them bowls or call them bowells, what's the difference - give us football. I frankly much prefer college over pro as the spirit and passion and fan interest is better IMO.

Bowls are ways to extend the season so the teams' fans can have one more game, one more tailgate and literally many hours of lively debate about the next game, last game, current game, etc. They can be fun little getaways for the fans and a few of their closest friends.

This is a difficult call for me, more bowl games = more football. Which is a good thing, on the other hand if everyone made a bowl game it would just be pointless. Case in point, my long loved Arena league has 8 teams this season and they have an 8 team playoff....forcing some, including myself to refer to the regular season as "The 16 week preseason" and add to my declining interest.

As far as numbers of bowls go, it could be really simple:

1. Stop adding new bowls (which they just did)

2. Let the lesser bowls die off until their are only 32

Why 32? 128 1-A teams, half of that is 64 slots, I think half of all 1-A teams going to a bowl game is plenty. If the number of 1-A teams goes up so can the number of bowls but a 50% mark should be the goal

3. If you want to start a new bowl wait for one to die off or more teams added to 1-A, seems to happen about every year anyway (more teams added and bowls going down the tubes, remember all the dot com bowls ?). This would force folks to have their ducks in a row to ensure solid financial backing before creating yet another bowl. Maybe take bids on the next slot, so only the strongest survive to fruition as a bowl.