Homestead Corridor Trail

I heard there is another trail in Lincoln that goes to Eagle.

That would be the MoPac trail. It's pretty nice. About a 20 mile ride to Eagle I think. It's on an old railway corridor and has some nice views in the spring and summer (only timea I've ridden it).

A few years back I worked up to riding from city campus to about 2 miles past 84th and O with the goal of making it to Eagle. But I really hated riding on gravel. It seems about 1.5x the effort of riding on pavement. Plus my bike was made about 30 years ago. It's very heavy for a mountain bike and I don't think the tires are ideal for gravel.

Anyhow I'm hoping to start doing 15-20 mile rides again this summer.

So the answer is no :P

I've ridden the crushed-rock trails around Lincoln quite a bit, but not the Homestead Trail. Homestead is a reclaimed rail line, like the MoPac trail that goes out to Eagle. I would imagine it's a fine trail, pretty well-maintained like the rest of the trails around here. I suppose if you're only used to riding pavement then crushed-rock is a bit harder like Moiraine said, but I grew up on gravel roads so it's pretty much like riding pavement to me.

According to Map My Ride, from Saltillo Road where the trail head is to Court Street where the trail ends in Beatrice, it's 31.5 miles. It starts at 1,200 feet at Saltillo Road and peaks at 1,450ft at Firth Road 12 miles into the ride. There are no steep grades on this ride (being a former rail line), so even though it's uphill for 12 miles it's a soft slope. From Firth Road it's downhill most of the way to Beatrice, another 19 miles.

Here are some reviews of the trail from Trail Link.

Here's the elevation chart from Map My Ride.

VyNBk3w.png

• 1 month later...