Huskers Looking to be a Top 3 in the B1G Defense

Riley also wants more from the defense, coordinated by close friend and longtime confidant Mark Banker.

I think this is the problem

I would definitely say it's troubling. The numbers are there to show the mediocrity of Banker's D. His only saving grace is that he was obviously playing with much lower talent levels. IMO, if we aren't dramatically improved by year 3, even if the rest of the team is, he has to go.

Of all the new coaching staff, from the beginning I always saw MB as the weakest link. And with MR's "nice guy" persona, I don't see him correcting or cutting MB loose anytime soon.

Didn't take long for MR to cut loose Hank Hughes.

How long had HH been working for/with MR compared to that of MB?

Riley also wants more from the defense, coordinated by close friend and longtime confidant Mark Banker.

I think this is the problem

I would definitely say it's troubling. The numbers are there to show the mediocrity of Banker's D. His only saving grace is that he was obviously playing with much lower talent levels. IMO, if we aren't dramatically improved by year 3, even if the rest of the team is, he has to go.

Of all the new coaching staff, from the beginning I always saw MB as the weakest link. And with MR's "nice guy" persona, I don't see him correcting or cutting MB loose anytime soon.

Didn't take long for MR to cut loose Hank Hughes.

How long had HH been working for/with MR compared to that of MB?

I don't see Riley keeping anyone around at Nebraska that he doesn't think is getting the job done.

Some of these positions may take longer than the first season to decide what is working. DL coach was an easy one. DC may take another season. Maybe 2.

IMO, the biggest thing holding us back is the defense. Our offense was fine last year, we averaged 33 points/game (roughly the same as the last 5 or so years). Run the ball, pass the ball, whatever.

But the defense needs to drastically improve before we can even start thinking about winning a B1G title.

Against BYU, Illinois, and Wisconsin the D had chances to put the game away in the final minute, but couldn't get a stop. Against NW, we needed a stop in the final 4 minutes to get the ball back down 2, but couldn't get it.

Looking at last year, we need to be much better against the pass, both in coverage and finding a pass rush.

I don't see how one could argue that the D failed against Illinois or even Wisconsin.

You hold a team to 2 or 3 scores, and you should win.

However, I do have concerns about the D overall.

I'd argue the D failed against BYU, Miami, Northwestern, and Purdue though.

Yeah, because the D gave it to the other team 4 times in our own territory.

Our offensive gameplan failed us in the Purdue game.

BYU game....Sure, but first game of the season in a brand new system, things were bound to break down.

Miami...Ok. Yeah. TA ultimately did throw the last YOLO pick though.

Purdue had 100 more yards against us than their season average. We gave up 55 points to them. You can't say that the D did not fail against Purdue.

Our offense gave Purdue like 3-4 possessions with around 20 yards to go to score.

And our defense should have been able to stop Purdue.

Doesn't matter how good of a defense you have, giving a short field multiple teams to any offense is tough, especially when you do it on consecutive possessions.

IMO, the biggest thing holding us back is the defense. Our offense was fine last year, we averaged 33 points/game (roughly the same as the last 5 or so years). Run the ball, pass the ball, whatever.

But the defense needs to drastically improve before we can even start thinking about winning a B1G title.

Against BYU, Illinois, and Wisconsin the D had chances to put the game away in the final minute, but couldn't get a stop. Against NW, we needed a stop in the final 4 minutes to get the ball back down 2, but couldn't get it.

Looking at last year, we need to be much better against the pass, both in coverage and finding a pass rush.

I don't see how one could argue that the D failed against Illinois or even Wisconsin.

BYU game....Sure, but first game of the season in a brand new system, things were bound to break down.

Purdue had 100 more yards against us than their season average. We gave up 55 points to them. You can't say that the D did not fail against Purdue.

Our offense gave Purdue like 3-4 possessions with around 20 yards to go to score.

Doesn't matter how good of a defense you have, giving a short field multiple teams to any offense is tough, especially when you do it on consecutive possessions.

Also, our defense should have stopped a lot of teams over the last few years and didn't.

• Fire 1

Also, our defense should have stopped a lot of teams over the last few years and didn't.

Sad but true.

I just get riled up when people all/almost all the blame on our defense for games like that.

It doesn't matter how good of a defense you have if your offense cant hold onto the ball or sustain any drives.

Sad but true.

I just get riled up when people all/almost all the blame on our defense for games like that.

It doesn't matter how good of a defense you have if your offense cant hold onto the ball or sustain any drives.

I think the offense didn't help matters, of course. But Purdue scored 55 points. They didn't score above 38 in any other game. Defense allowed some sh#t that they shouldn't have.

• Fire 1

Sad but true.

I think the offense didn't help matters, of course. But Purdue scored 55 points. They didn't score above 38 in any other game. Defense allowed some sh#t that they shouldn't have.

This. I'll forgive the D for the short field issues. But what about the rest of that dumpster fire?

THBqDx.gif

Sad but true.

This. I'll forgive the D for the short field issues. But what about the rest of that dumpster fire?

THBqDx.gif

I guess we can take solace in knowing if it hadn't been for the short field scores, we would have won by double digits.

#moralvictories

Sad but true.

THBqDx.gif

And unless someone blew an assignment, which it doesn't appear they did, that was just a poor defensive call leaving the WR in single coverage (and a nice play by the QB and WR on the play).

Stuff happens.

Throwing Fyfe out there with that game plane was far more of foolish move than anything else I saw that day. And it was the biggest factor in the loss.

• Fire 1

THBqDx.gif

And unless someone blew an assignment, which it doesn't appear they did, that was just a poor defensive call leaving the WR in single coverage (and a nice play by the QB and WR on the play).

Stuff happens.

Throwing Fyfe out there with that game plane was far more of foolish move than anything else I saw that day. And it was the biggest factor in the loss.

There were three WRs and a RB in the pattern. Why was it a poor call to have THAT GUY in single coverage? Cockrell just got beat on that play. There was nothing wrong with the defensive call. As Bo loved to say, he 'failed to execute.'

THBqDx.gif

Stuff happens.

There were three WRs and a RB in the pattern. Why was it a poor call to have THAT GUY in single coverage? Cockrell just got beat on that play. There was nothing wrong with the defensive call. As Bo loved to say, he 'failed to execute.'
I am the first to say that sometimes a D just gets caught in a bad look. But like that man to man coverage was not the only option on that play, and a zone would have made it a tougher read for a QB who saw the strong side safety shoot at the snap.

Sad but true.

THBqDx.gif

Stuff happens.

Well, this might be one of the only things I've ever agreed with CM on.

The defense in general wasn't spectacular that game but the Offense(And offensive coaching staff) definitely deserves at least half credit for that dumpster fire.

THBqDx.gif

Stuff happens.

I am the first to say that sometimes a D just gets caught in a bad look. But like that man to man coverage was not the only option on that play, and a zone would have made it a tougher read for a QB who saw the strong side safety shoot at the snap.

There was nothing wrong with the call. Cockrell got beat, and that play is all on him, plus the WR just making a better play.