OWH: Outgoing UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman leaves with unmet goal: Huskers’ return to top

I was going to step out of this thread. But two of you really need to go back and look at the facts.

TO told LP that if he did A, B and C, he'd have a chance to be reinstated/play. Most of that involved staying out of additional trouble, attending counseling and staying up in school.

When LP achieved those goals, should TO have welched because it would have been the politically expedient thing to do?

No.

don't bother, these guys have their agenda and nothing will change that.

• Fire 1

I was going to step out of this thread. But two of you really need to go back and look at the facts.

TO told LP that if he did A, B and C, he'd have a chance to be reinstated/play. Most of that involved staying out of additional trouble, attending counseling and staying up in school.

When LP achieved those goals, should TO have welched because it would have been the politically expedient thing to do?

No.

The way you can view certain things with such delusions of granduer yet view other things with such negative pessemism is frankly befuddling.

Let this dunpster fire of a thread die. The board needs it to.

Truly, the clueless part about this is people believing Osborne handled Phillips in order to help him through the structure of football. And not because he wanted to win games.

If Osborne really believed this, he could have re-instated Phillips and NOT played him at all the rest of the season. But instead he did the opposite. He claims the team took a vote. Like his hands were tied to what the players wanted.

bullsh#t.

He played LP because it was the best way for him to showcase that he was worthy of a 1st round pick in the draft so he could dump him to a pro team and let him be their headache.

If you don't see that, then there is no help for you.

Ok, lets look at this "win at all costs" statement.. Which games did you consider as "win at all costs", or do you think just because he played, that by itself, means win at all costs?

• Fire 1

No.

The way you can view certain things with such delusions of granduer yet view other things with such negative pessemism is frankly befuddling.

I very seldom agree with CM, but what part of what he said, in the post you quoted, is delusional?

• Fire 1

No.

I'm saying there should have never been a parameter to meet that allowed him on the field again that year.

No.

I'm saying there should have never been a parameter to meet that allowed him on the field again that year.

And that's a fine opinion to have.

But don't assume that anyone with a different opinion is acting out of selfish motives.

• Fire 3

No.

But don't assume that anyone with a different opinion is acting out of selfish motives.

just so nobody wonders who it was.. I gave the +1

• Fire 1

No.

It's referred to as weight of evidence.

Some have earned the benefit of the doubt. Others haven't. And still others have earned doubt.

• Fire 2

No.

And yet I am the one being accused of having the agenda....

• Fire 1

No.

And yet I am the one being accused of having the agenda....
Probably because you've attacked TO in a very personal way and seem unwilling to express any ability to admit it was a complex situation.

And I get it. You don't see it as complex. If you had simply stated "under no circumstance should LP have been allowed to play again" and left it at that, I doubt anyone would have accused you of harboring an agenda.

It seems that the agenda among some is to discredit TO, by any means possible, in order to justify NU twice going against his intentions when it comes to NU football coaches, replacing each of his choices with a definite downgrade and a possible downgrade, respectively.

Really, it's a common theme. Rather than address the issues with the replacements, many have made their failures about others. TO revisionism is just one of the more egregious examples.

• Fire 2

Truly, the clueless part about this is people believing Osborne handled Phillips in order to help him through the structure of football. And not because he wanted to win games.

If Osborne really believed this, he could have re-instated Phillips and NOT played him at all the rest of the season. But instead he did the opposite. He claims the team took a vote. Like his hands were tied to what the players wanted.

bullsh#t.

He played LP because it was the best way for him to showcase that he was worthy of a 1st round pick in the draft so he could dump him to a pro team and let him be their headache.

I mean Osborne said so himself...

“I felt the only thing I could put in a place that would keep him on track was football, because that was probably the only consistent organizing factor in his life,’’ Osborne said, adding that Phillips was required to get counseling as a condition of rejoining the team.

“When he was in the NFL, I told his agent he absolutely needed to stay in counseling,’’ Osborne added. “As I recall, the agent said that would happen. But I’m pretty sure it didn’t. That was a difficult thing.

Link:http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/01/13/lawrence-phillips-dead-prison-tom-osbourne-nebraska/78767044/

Do you think Osborne didn't care about LP and only cared about winning? I don't think it was mutually exclusive.

bullsh#t.

“I felt the only thing I could put in a place that would keep him on track was football, because that was probably the only consistent organizing factor in his life,’’ Osborne said, adding that Phillips was required to get counseling as a condition of rejoining the team.

“When he was in the NFL, I told his agent he absolutely needed to stay in counseling,’’ Osborne added. “As I recall, the agent said that would happen. But I’m pretty sure it didn’t. That was a difficult thing.

Link:http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/01/13/lawrence-phillips-dead-prison-tom-osbourne-nebraska/78767044/

Do you think Osborne didn't care about LP and only cared about winning? I don't think it was mutually exclusive.

I don't believe for a second that Osborne handled LP the way he did to help him in the long run.

bullsh#t.

I don't believe for a second that Osborne handled LP the way he did to help him in the long run.

Do I think Osborne had some of his own best interests at heart? Yes. Do I think Osborne didn't give a sh#t about LP and didn't want to help him figure his life out? Not for a second. Look at the way LP spoke of Osborne and kept in contact with him, even from jail. Why would TO even bother maintaining a relationship like that if he didn't care?

bullsh#t.

Do I think Osborne had some of his own best interests at heart? Yes. Do I think Osborne didn't give a sh#t about LP and didn't want to help him figure his life out? Not for a second. Look at the way LP spoke of Osborne and kept in contact with him, even from jail. Why would TO even bother maintaining a relationship like that if he didn't care?

I'm sure Osborne cared about every player he had. And I am sure he cared about LP greatly. Especially when he was gone from the team.

Your arguments are very confused.

You believe TO played LP because of a "win at all costs" attitude and that he played him to get him off of the team?

I guess it's not impossible to reconcile those views, but they do seem inconsistent.

Then you tack on an odd statement like "he cared about him after he was off of the team."

• Fire 2