OWH: Outgoing UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman leaves with unmet goal: Huskers’ return to top

Truly, the clueless part about this is people believing Osborne handled Phillips in order to help him through the structure of football. And not because he wanted to win games.

If Osborne really believed this, he could have re-instated Phillips and NOT played him at all the rest of the season. But instead he did the opposite. He claims the team took a vote. Like his hands were tied to what the players wanted.

bullsh#t.

He played LP because it was the best way for him to showcase that he was worthy of a 1st round pick in the draft so he could dump him to a pro team and let him be their headache.

If you don't see that, then there is no help for you.

I mean Osborne said so himself...

“I felt the only thing I could put in a place that would keep him on track was football, because that was probably the only consistent organizing factor in his life,’’ Osborne said, adding that Phillips was required to get counseling as a condition of rejoining the team.

“When he was in the NFL, I told his agent he absolutely needed to stay in counseling,’’ Osborne added. “As I recall, the agent said that would happen. But I’m pretty sure it didn’t. That was a difficult thing.

Link:http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/01/13/lawrence-phillips-dead-prison-tom-osbourne-nebraska/78767044/

Do you think Osborne didn't care about LP and only cared about winning? I don't think it was mutually exclusive.

I don't believe for a second that Osborne handled LP the way he did to help him in the long run.

How many troubled individuals have you helped, how did you do it, and how did they turn out in the long run? Serious question.

Your arguments are very confused.

You believe TO played LP because of a "win at all costs" attitude and that he played him to get him off of the team?

I guess it's not impossible to reconcile those views, but they do seem inconsistent.

Then you tack on an odd statement like "he cared about him after he was off of the team."

This happens all the time on every team. What is hard to understand about it?

TO played him to win and boost LP's draft status so he could be someone else's problem. That doesn't mean he didn't care bout him.

You believe TO played LP because of a "win at all costs" attitude and that he played him to get him off of the team?

I guess it's not impossible to reconcile those views, but they do seem inconsistent.

Then you tack on an odd statement like "he cared about him after he was off of the team."

TO played him to win and boost LP's draft status so he could be someone else's problem. That doesn't mean he didn't care bout him.

You ignored my question above.. Which games was he played to ensure the win? Do you not realize no game was close to require this "win at all cost" attitude you claim he had? Even the Florida game, even though LP had good stats, he wasn't needed. Green was doing very well (over 7 yards per carry).

• Fire 1

He didn't need LP to win. He didn't play LP to win. Your narrative that TO was a "win at all costs" coach is completely unfounded and petty and agenda-driven.

You said TO's hand was a constant like Perlman's, but clearly that's not true. I'm not sure why that realization would prompt a personal insult.

We will agree to disagree. We see it differently. But the reasons to insult you go beyond this.
The difficult thing is understanding how you can see TO as being as responsible as Perlman. TO's picks went a combined 125-46 (73-22) and finished ranked (or were ranked at time of firing) during 11 of 13 seasons - with several division wins, a conference champ win and a NC appearance.

Those records amount to some of the best by first time coaches EVER.

It was Perlman that decided to fire those coaches and replace them with Callahan and Riley.

My one solice is that I actually like Riley as a person. Just wish people would quit tearing down TO, Frank, Bo and their players as a method of defending Riley.

Also wish Perlman would quit bringing the topic up in an effort to justify his idiotic moves.

TO was a poor judge of character then...They might have been decent football coaches but they had other issues that led to their dismissal. Why you can't get that through your damn head is beyond me. But whatever.

1) Because those rumors have never been substantiated beyond internet smear campaigns regarding solich.

2) And I never had major issues with Pelini on the sideline because (a) I knew he and his players had a special relationship and (b) figured he'd grow out of it as he matured as a coach. So I don't consider his behavior a "character flaw."

1) Yes they have. You can keep saying they haven't, but you will continue to be wrong.

Let's focus on this one because the rest is debatable opinion.

Please post links to (1) what rumors you're referring to, and (2) any actual evidence demonstrating that the rumors are substantial.

• Fire 2

Maybe you should pay more attention to academics also...Might do you some good. [/size]

Is this the general notion? That a university president's most important function is fielding a football team? I don't think any other university president out there will base their legacy upon the [/size]

successes and failures of a f'ing football team.[/size]

I guess I have to be that guy that keeps bringing this up, since we have guys that seem to keep ignoring it: Nebraska is the only university to ever lose their AAU accreditation by a vote...and it happened on Perlman's watch. I know people can give me a million reasons why it happened, how it wasn't fair, etc., etc., but in the end Perlman didn't keep it from happening.

In what way has losing AAU accreditation hurt UNL?

Yeah, I don't get the anguish over this. I'm not a big HP fan, and losing the AAU accreditation was embarrassing, frustrating and disappointing, but other than that, how has it really hurt UNL, save for a little more embarrassment when a media outlet brings it up again?

If you know and understand how that all came about then it isn't embarrassing or frustrating at all. It was inevitable.

Maybe you should pay more attention to academics also...Might do you some good. [/size]

Is this the general notion? That a university president's most important function is fielding a football team? I don't think any other university president out there will base their legacy upon the [/size]

successes and failures of a f'ing football team.[/size]

I guess I have to be that guy that keeps bringing this up, since we have guys that seem to keep ignoring it: Nebraska is the only university to ever lose their AAU accreditation by a vote...and it happened on Perlman's watch. I know people can give me a million reasons why it happened, how it wasn't fair, etc., etc., but in the end Perlman didn't keep it from happening.

In what way has losing AAU accreditation hurt UNL?

Yeah, I don't get the anguish over this. I'm not a big HP fan, and losing the AAU accreditation was embarrassing, frustrating and disappointing, but other than that, how has it really hurt UNL, save for a little more embarrassment when a media outlet brings it up again?

If you know and understand how that all came about then it isn't embarrassing or frustrating at all. It was inevitable.

Why do you seem to be assuming I don't know and understand how it all came about?

That is was inevitable is the frustrating part.

And how did you corrupt the post code so badly?

Osborne had a perfectly reasonable argument that to cut Lawrence Phillips out cold from the only structure, authority, motivation and friendships he knew in the world was dangerous to Lawrence Phillips, and perhaps even to the victims Phillips would blame for his outcasting. Tom was not only his couch, he has a psychology degree. Tom wasn't wrong about keeping Lawrence Phillips in the protective bubble of Nebraska football.

But Tom was mistaken in how the rest of the country would view it. Pretty much the way they viewed the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson situations. And even a bit of Joe Paterno. The rest of the country wasn't necessarily wrong, either.

Complex situation.

But I do think this was a moment -- and be prepared for 30 for 30 to be all over it -- where Tom Osborne realized he had been sacrificing character to get some of the coveted recruits that would finally take him over the top. Faustian bargain stuff that included profound ugliness from The Peter Bros. Terrell Farley and others. Had it played out at Oklahoma or Miami -- and frankly it did -- Nebraska fans weren't likely to plead for understanding.

• Fire 2

If Osborne showed up at parties in fur coats with coeds on each arm, I'd treat him more like Switzer. If he'd fast roped into the stadium, I'd treat him more like a host of Miami coaches.

But, he didn't.

Again, it's back to that "benefit of the doubt" thing.

• Fire 2

Osborne had a perfectly reasonable argument that to cut Lawrence Phillips out cold from the only structure, authority, motivation and friendships he knew in the world was dangerous to Lawrence Phillips, and perhaps even to the victims Phillips would blame for his outcasting. Tom was not only his couch, he has a psychology degree. Tom wasn't wrong about keeping Lawrence Phillips in the protective bubble of Nebraska football.

But Tom was mistaken in how the rest of the country would view it. Pretty much the way they viewed the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson situations. And even a bit of Joe Paterno. The rest of the country wasn't necessarily wrong, either.

Complex situation.

But I do think this was a moment -- and be prepared for 30 for 30 to be all over it -- where Tom Osborne realized he had been sacrificing character to get some of the coveted recruits that would finally take him over the top. Faustian bargain stuff that included profound ugliness from The Peter Bros. Terrell Farley and others. Had it played out at Oklahoma or Miami -- and frankly it did -- Nebraska fans weren't likely to plead for understanding.

It's not that Osborne let him back on the team. It's that he played him where he went terribly wrong.