Terrorism, Russia, NATO, Trump

NATO members have agreed to pay 2% of their GDP by 2024.

This is a start. Enforce that pledge and perhaps scale back the US percent spending (currently 3.62% of our GDP) in the future, and shut up about leaving.

Trump, as usual, is operating from a position of ignorance. NATO is the chief blanket of support for Europe from Russian aggression. Do you know what happens when you bust up NATO? We're going to have a lot more annexations like Crimea. Russia will seek to take as much power as you give them. Trump strikes me as someone that would join Putin in that quest for power. Until Putin wants to turn on him and then boom, maybe we have another Cold War on our hands.

North Korea says Trump isn't screwy at all, a wise choice for president

OK, let's keep a tally. That's North Korea, Russia, and 0 past US presidents who want Trump to win.

41201964.jpg

• Fire 1

Is Putin the new Hitler, Sadaam, or BoogeyMan? I can't tell.

Aggression against Russian seems to backfire. Actually using proxy warriors like NATO likes to do always backfires. Ask the good people of Libya who had their country ruined.

Those Wahhabis sure are friendly when you want them to kill russians. When they're done with them then they won't kill anyone else.

charlie_wilson300.jpg

I have absolutely zero desire to be the world police if at least Europe doesn't contribute proportionately. In fact, I would prefer them to take the lead in hot spots and we do supply and support for their men and women being on the ground and in the line of fire.

They are the ones right now having a much bigger problem with terrorism...etc.

When we take the lead and go do something big, we get criticized from foreign leaders. So....hey.....you're the one with the problem, you be the leader and go fight your fight. We're behind you 100%.

Do you want the former Sovient Union countries to be alone in fighting Russia? They will lose. They simply can't afford to take Russia on by themselves. When did people decide they were okay with Russia gaining more power? Why did we help Kuwait when we did? I just don't get it.

I also don't get why we are so vehemently against terrorism in Europe but are fine with Russia killing more people.

Also, believe it or not (RE: your previous reply) I didn't post this because of anything Clinton said or because of the emails. The DNC isn't innocent just because someone revealed the emails. I've been annoyed at people admiring Putin for a long time. Months ago people were basically saying Obama should be more manly like Putin. The same Putin who has journalists killed if they say things he doesn't like.

I did not say anything about those countries going it alone. I want Europe to step up and take the lead. We will support their efforts.

I have equal problems with both terrorism and Russia killing more people.

I'm not sure why these comments are towards me. I think I've made it clear I despise the one candidate who thinks Putin is the greatest thing since pockets on a shirt.

It wasn't all specifically directed at you and not the middle sentence at all. But for the record I find it much more worthwhile to reply to you than some others who've posted in this topic because your replies aren't worthless.

1.The U.S provoked the "invasion" of Russia by backing a coup of a Democratically elected President.

2. How many countries has the U.S. invaded since WWII? How many coups has it backed? Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Egypt, plenty in South America, etc

3. Russia isn't the Soviet Union.

4. Bretton Woods needs to be reconsidered and NATO is a cold war fossil that needs to be retired.

I'll repeat: Russia has killed 5 times more Europeans than have terrorists in the last two years. What this topic is mostly about is our completely lopsided reactions to these two things. Instead of calling out Russia, Trump acts amused that Putin likes him. I feel like because Russia hasn't attacked us we think they're not a big deal. Or maybe we're overreacting to terrorism. We should do everything we can to protect the U.S. but not at the expense of the 4th amendment.

I'm aware Russia isn't the Soviet Union and I'm not sure why you're pointing it out. That being said Putin has been very positive about Stalin lately and he's now been the president or prime minister of Russia for nearly 17 years.

1.The U.S provoked the "invasion" of Russia by backing a coup of a Democratically elected President.

2. How many countries has the U.S. invaded since WWII? How many coups has it backed? Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Egypt, plenty in South America, etc

4. Bretton Woods needs to be reconsidered and NATO is a cold war fossil that needs to be retired.

I'll repeat: Russia has killed 5 times more Europeans than have terrorists in the last two years. What this topic is mostly about is our completely lopsided reactions to these two things. Instead of calling out Russia, Trump acts amused that Putin likes him. I feel like because Russia hasn't attacked us we think they're not a big deal. Or maybe we're overreacting to terrorism. We should do everything we can to protect the U.S. but not at the expense of the 4th amendment.

I'm aware Russia isn't the Soviet Union and I'm not sure why you're pointing it out. That being said Putin has been very positive about Stalin lately and he's now been the president or prime minister of Russia for nearly 17 years.

I guess we need a new villain of the week since we killed everyone else. Syria had gas, Iraq had WMDs, etc. Putin has been chosen as the new boogeyman.

Once again, the Ukrainian situation was helped along and caused by the U.S.. Russia was just the response. I'd imagine that if someone backed a coup in Canada with arms then the U.S. would act. Just a hunch since they are one of the biggest trading partners. So the real question is, how much blood is on the hands of the U.S. and NATO in Europe?

Anyone can support Stalin in something. Getting rid of Trotsky, the father of the Neo-Con playbook(Read "The Permanent Revolution" ) and America's current foreign policy, was a great move. Give me context.

Speaking of bloodlust and NATO, Why is Trump not denouncing Putin a bigger issue than a candidate who helped illegally invade a sovereign country and murder its leader? I don't have to tell you what chaos that country is in now but "They have elections" so its ok.

Hillary makes Dick Cheney look like Mary Poppins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlz3-OzcExI

I guess we need a new villain of the week since we killed everyone else. Syria had gas, Iraq had WMDs, etc. Putin has been chosen as the new boogeyman.

Once again, the Ukrainian situation was helped along and caused by the U.S.. Russia was just the response. I'd imagine that if someone backed a coup in Canada with arms then the U.S. would act. Just a hunch since they are one of the biggest trading partners. So the real question is, how much blood is on the hands of the U.S. and NATO in Europe?

Anyone can support Stalin in something. Getting rid of Trotsky, the father of the Neo-Con playbook(Read "The Permanent Revolution" ) and America's current foreign policy, was a great move. Give me context.

Speaking of bloodlust and NATO, Why is Trump not denouncing Putin a bigger issue than a candidate who helped illegally invade a sovereign country and murder its leader? I don't have to tell you what chaos that country is in now but "They have elections" so its ok.

What is your infatuation with Russian being the victim? They stifle free speech, civil rights, and fund proxy wars the same as we do. Putin critics have an uncanny way of ending up dead.

• Fire 3

I've been speaking out against Putin for month/years. He's an actual villain whether you want to believe it or not. The U.S. didn't force Russia to invade and take over part of another country. And having a Ukrainian leader who was friendly with the EU was likely not going to stop them from letting Russia access Crimea. It was all just the excuse Putin wanted.
  • Fire 2

Gotta protect that U.S. Constitution abroad. Bringing Freedom all over the world. " 'Merica" and so forth. Civil rights, freedom, etc. All the same platitudes. Free Speech? The creators of eBAY were called to France to face years in prison for allowing someone to buy/sell Nazi Paraphernalia on their site within France. Why aren't we fighting French lack of free speech? Because its not politically beneficial.

The first to act in Ukraine was The U.S. backed Coup against a democratically elected government. Are we proponents of Democracy OR not?

The U.S. provokes unrest because its good for business(once again see Trotsky). WMDs, Gas, etc.

If Putin is a villain, then undoubtedly almost every U.S. president since WWII is a villain. Putin is a rank amateur compared to these people.

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...

Cybersecurity firm links state election hacks to Russian activity in Europe

Putin on DNC hack: "Does it really matter who hacked this data?"

The hacking and release of nearly 20,000 emails from the Democratic National Committee earlier this year was a public service, Russian President Vladimir Putin said in an interview published Friday.

But the former KGB officer and subsequent director of the country's Federal Security Service sharply denied the notion that the Kremlin was responsible for the hack.

“Listen, does it even matter who hacked this data?’’ Putin told Bloomberg on Thursday. “The important thing is the content that was given to the public.’’

Intelligence officials and cybersecurity experts in the United States see the fingerprints of the Russian government on the DNC server attacks earlier this year, prior to the release of the emails just before the Democratic National Convention that led to the resignation of DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz and several other top officials.

“There’s no need to distract the public’s attention from the essence of the problem by raising some minor issues connected with the search for who did it,” Putin said. “But I want to tell you again, I don’t know anything about it, and on a state level Russia has never done this.”

Cybersecurity expert James Lewis remarked to Bloomberg of Putin's denial, "Nice try, but no goal."

Yep, sounds good to me. Nothing to see here, folks. This sounds like a good man who we need to work more closely with. Let's elect the pro-Russia guy!

Russia continues to try to exert their influence on both our election and our allies around the world. And we have a major candidate who is at best indifferent, most likely an unwitting agent, and at worst a deliberate enabler of furthering Russian interests and strength worldwide.

This crap isn't really funny anymore. I mean, old hat for Russia, trying to stick their nose in our business. But the fact that we're one election away from embracing this horrible, autocratic authoritarianism is really worrisome.