Fall Camp Position Battles - Receivers and Tight Ends

So, can anyone top our 2 deep in the B1G?

Slot: Westerkamp, Spielman, DPE

WR: Reilly, Morgan, Moore, Grim

I just feel like with these 7 guys healthy, we can alternate every play and not even have much of a drop off... Assuming the 2 FR as as good as advertised. Heck, I'm probably forgetting about a couple guys as well.

I just feel like with these 7 guys healthy, we can alternate every play and not even have much of a drop off... Assuming the 2 FR as as good as advertised. Heck, I'm probably forgetting about a couple guys as well.

Did you just put a true frosh ahead of an All-American pick?

Oh, and who picked him to be an all American this year?

Previous All-American. No one picked him, he played a full season and earned the title. I get what you're saying though, I understand it wasn't a depth chart.

Previous All-American. No one picked him, he played a full season and earned the title. I get what you're saying though, I understand it wasn't a depth chart.

Also, he was an AA for PR, not WR. Yes, still extremely electric with ball in hands. Still needs work in a few areas as a WR to be AA caliber. Not trying to turn this into a debate about DPE, love that guy.

Sam's take after 2 weeks of practice:

» Wide receiver/tight end: One of the most talented groups Nebraska has had in years. Several legitimate NFL prospects — tight end Cethan Carter might be at the top of the list — give Armstrong and the rest of the quarterbacks every reason to succeed and little room for excuses, presuming the protection holds up. Reilly, Alonzo Moore and Stanley Morgan are a strong trio on the outside, with Morgan being a high-level blocker on top of being a good pass-catcher, while Moore and Reilly make acrobatic catches downfield. De’Mornay Pierson-El, coming off a knee and foot injury last season, doesn’t quite look like the same guy, but he hasn’t shut it down yet and he’s important as a punt returner. Pierson-El doesn’t seem to be hitting top-end speed a lot. Why? Watch for freshmen JD Spielman — a converted running back still learning the position — and Derrion Grim, along with walk-ons Gabe Rahn and Bryan Reimers. Another walk-on, Conor Young, is a year away. Among the other tight ends, Sam Cotton is a giant target who should be better in the red zone than he is, while Trey Foster is a nice blocker in short yardage. The team doesn’t have a proven guy behind the three seniors, and that’s a huge problem — for next year. Westerkamp should be the first name in the section but, in a sense, he’s better as the last one, because, when Nebraska absolutely needs a jump-start play, when it’s down to its last shot, it’s Westerkamp to whom Armstrong looks. Westy’s the bedrock — perhaps of the whole offense.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/mckewon-husker-defense-shows-progress-offense-looks-about-same/article_2989c575-3b95-56d7-8cb5-597bc1424cff.html

• Fire 1

Latest word: Plenty of reason for optimism, with returnees Jordan Westerkamp, Brandon Reilly, Stanley Morgan and Alonzo Moore combining for 154 receptions and 20 touchdowns last season. The Huskers also get back De’Mornay Pierson-El after his sophomore year was limited to five games because of injury. Westerkamp would shatter the NU career receiving record if he can repeat his junior season.

Latest word: Three seniors assure Huskers of solid experience, with Cethan Carter leading the way. After a slow start last season that included a two-game suspension, Carter had five games with at least three catches and added runs of 32 and 16 yards. He also bolsters the running attack with his physical blocking. Sam Cotton and Trey Foster are set to contribute again.

OWH