Black Lives Matter Coalition Makes Demands as Campaign Heats Up.

+1, BLM seems to be more about getting free stuff for being black than anything else.

You know, if that were true, it would be pretty fair considering all of the free gifts and programs targeted specifically towards white folk in our country's history.

Such as? I am white and I guess I missed out on those freebie! In fact, I haven't seen many "Free for Whites Only" signs above huge stockpiles of goodies that all of us racist Whiteys want and need and deserve!

This one just goes way past reality into the twilight zone between reality and fantasy called liberalism

!

Sharecropping, The Homestead Act, the Federal Housing Administration, and the G.I. Bill, for starters.

Hmm, are those explicitly for whites, or really for anyone? BLM is wanting this stuff BECAUSE they are black and for blacks.

Wow. :(

Agree to disagree. I see a whole lot of eagerness to dismiss black issues, and not a lot of actual interest in addressing them.

Just so I am sure I understand what you mean. Is that statement aimed at me or at BLM? I would agree if you are talking about BLM.

+1, BLM seems to be more about getting free stuff for being black than anything else.

While there are of course exceptions to every general rule, it is in fact generally true that most people react to the behavior of others similarly. Someone acting irrationally or in a threatening manner will be responded to similarly.

There is a large majority of the public that would agree that there are many issues with today's educational system and its shortcomings are contributing greatly to our social and economic decline. A higher percentage of Blacks live in poverty as a result. This is about where the general agreement ends however. This divergence begins when the discussion starts to focus on what is wrong with the education and why and beyond the educational issues come underlying economic realities and government's response and involvement therewith.

After many many trillions of dollars spent in the 50 years long 'war on poverty' we have record levels of poverty! Something is fundamentally wrong with the treatment of the disease if, after that many years of 'therapy' for the disease and the end result is it is worse than ever! Focusing on taking personal responsibility for your lot in life and encouraging self sufficiency and independence might well be a better approach than creating more dependency and despair. Desegregration was Court enforced and after almost two generations of integrated 'education' it is apparent that it is the family life at home and not the bricks and mortar of the school buildings that foster learning and ultimately improvement in the economic and social well being of the students who attend the school.

Perhaps the better idea would be to quadruple the number of cops in the schools and triple the number 'school arrests' and detentions and expulsions, etc for disruptive and disrespectful students. In an environment of respect and student dedication, schools will be dramatically better. "No child left behind" was lambasted as some horrible notion when in fact, it is exactly the cure for the disease. No child should be allowed to fall behind and simply be discarded which has been the liberal program for many decades. "Social promotion' has been the typical response of the liberal mindset which simply says we don't need to keep score - just give out awards for participation and we all pass.

Nicely said!

I am horrified at some of the things I'm reading on this thread. The amount of denial just proves the reason this is a problem and that it is ongoing. I swore I would not get baited into this discussion but the ignorance is so disheartening to me.

A bit of history. No HuskerFan2000, these were not for whites only in theory, but they were set up to benefit whites more than blacks. The facts:

Sharecropping - this was a way to essentially keep slaves so poor and with so little prospect that they remained on the owners land working as indentured. It exploited an already poor population by tying them to money owed to the land owner, and because they couldn't get credit from a source other than the landowner they were tied to pricing and loans that they could never get ahead on. It was a way for landowners to keep "free men" as slaves.

Homestead Act - went into effect 3 years before slaves were freed, and was only an option to citizens. If you were a slave you couldn't be considered a citizen. So no, this wasn't available to african americans.

Federal Housing Act - you just need to read about this. It certainly helped all of us white folks, but absolutely blocked the ability of african americans to get loans (or for people living near black people to get loans). The lines drawn during this act lasted for years and impacted how mortgage banks looked at lending money. It has impacted african americans negatively for years, and probably still does.

GI Bill - this was established to get veterans back on their feet by offering including low-cost mortgages, low-interest loans and financial support after serving. It was open to black and white men, however the design put african american at an extreme disadvantage. Of the first 67,000 mortgages less than 100 went to black men. The VA and the American Legion as well as the Veterans of Foreign Affairs had the ability to approve or deny loan requests and denied black requests at an alarming rate. Banks also denied blacks applying for the GI Bill assistance, or they denied making a loan for a home in a black neighborhood. Lets say a black man got approval for a college loan guess what? Many colleges still wouldn't allow black students.

All of us know that you can't get more wealth unless you have some wealth, and if you are always trying to play catch up to the Jones you'll never make it. Imagine that you're trying but the Jones get more assistance along the way (in the way of loans, land, education etc)

It is ignorant to say that African Americans have everything we do and that they are treated as equals. In theory yes, they are allowed everything we are but they started behind, and the majority will never catch up. We can't fix a problem until people acknowledge that there is one. Folks here are an example with comments like "there are no stockpiles of free stuff for whitey" and "getting free stuff just because they're black". Horrifying, ignorant, white, head in the sand comments.

• Fire 3

That whole "Hands up don't shoot" was nothing but a lie as the facts and evidence proved it to be

Yet the Justice Department still investigated the Ferguson police department and found awful, horrific systemic racism, which is what the protests were really about, using Mike Brown (erroneously, it seems) as a symbol.

Pretty sure everyone who is ever going to, already understands the effects of slavery and legislation to that effect would just be time wasted that could be spent doing something valuable.

The effects of slavery are still felt today. You really think everyone realizes that?

Don't want to get into a debate about the death penalty but, if you don't commit a crime that has that as the possible penalty, it shouldn't be a problem.

It shouldn't be, but it is. 1 in 25 people sentenced to death is innocent, and like most of these things, blacks are disproportionately represented in death row.

So, how are blacks disproportionately represented on death row?? Does that mean whites are disproportionately represented on death row too?? Smfh

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/race-death-row-inmates-executed-1976

current-us-death-row-population-by-race.

• Fire 1

That whole "Hands up don't shoot" was nothing but a lie as the facts and evidence proved it to be

Yet the Justice Department still investigated the Ferguson police department and found awful, horrific systemic racism, which is what the protests were really about, using Mike Brown (erroneously, it seems) as a symbol.

Pretty sure everyone who is ever going to, already understands the effects of slavery and legislation to that effect would just be time wasted that could be spent doing something valuable.

The effects of slavery are still felt today. You really think everyone realizes that?

Don't want to get into a debate about the death penalty but, if you don't commit a crime that has that as the possible penalty, it shouldn't be a problem.

It shouldn't be, but it is. 1 in 25 people sentenced to death is innocent, and like most of these things, blacks are disproportionately represented in death row.

So, how are blacks disproportionately represented on death row?? Does that mean whites are disproportionately represented on death row too?? Smfh

Well the simplest answer is because they make up 13% of the population and 35% of death row...

Related, blacks are more likely to be given the death penalty for the same committed crime than whites are.

do you know what disproportionate means?

• Fire 3

I don't think that link shows what you think it shows and it's unclear why you're syfh. In order to figure out whether a race is disproportionately represented on death row, we need to know the following:

The percentage of convicted murderers who are that race

The percentage of convicted murderers on death row who are that race.

If a higher proportion of Blacks are on death row than are convicted of murder, then a disproportionate number of Blacks are on death row.

Now if we really wanted to do it the right way we'd need to look further into what type of murders tend to receive the death penalty, and also look at the Black population in the areas where the death penalty exists.

As far as I can see the link doesn't show the proportions for convicted murderers. It only has victim stats and death penalty stats.

• Fire 1

So, how are blacks disproportionately represented on death row?? Does that mean whites are disproportionately represented on death row too?? Smfhhttp://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/race-death-row-inmates-executed-1976

Because they make up 13% of the population and 35% of death row... do you know what disproportionate means?

You're talking about people on death row. I wouldnt include the entire population. I would look at numbers of each race in prison. Its not disproportionate to that. So yes, i do know what it means but thanks for the great education.

I'm still waiting for an answer as to why BLM would want to remove body cameras from police. We can get into why they want to remove all the other tools police use to combat crime later but, for now, why the body cameras?

I would strongly encourage everyone to look at the link zoogs provided in post #31. Not sure how anyone can look at that BLM site and think, yeah, this is all good.

• Fire 3

So, how are blacks disproportionately represented on death row?? Does that mean whites are disproportionately represented on death row too?? Smfhhttp://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/race-death-row-inmates-executed-1976
I don't think that link shows what you think it shows and it's unclear why you're syfh. In order to figure out whether a race is disproportionately represented on death row, we need to know the following:

If a higher proportion of Blacks are on death row than are convicted of murder, then a disproportionate number of Blacks are on death row.

Now if we really wanted to do it the right way we'd need to look further into what type of murders tend to receive the death penalty, and also look at the Black population in the areas where the death penalty exists.

As far as I can see the link doesn't show the proportions for convicted murderers. It only has victim stats and death penalty stats.

I agree, as with most stats, they are used by people using them to show what they want. To fully figure it out you would most definitely have to dig much deeper. But to say they are disproportionately on death row comparing it to total population is even further from correct than what stats i posted.

I did some looking around and in specific states they've found that there are a disproportionate number of Blacks on death row (when comparing to the proportion of convicted murderers which is the only relevant comparison) but there hasn't been a conclusive study on it nationwide.

What I did find is that people who kill Whites are far more likely to be sentenced to death than people who kill Blacks or Hispanics.

Nationally, nearly 80% of murder victims in cases resulting in an execution have been white, even though nationally only 50% of murder victims generally are white.

Another interesting tidbit:

In a two-year study of over 100 felony cases in Dallas County, the prosecutors dismissed blacks from jury service twice as often as whites. Even when the newspaper compared similar jurors who had expressed opinions about the criminal justice system (a reason that prosecutors had given for the elimination of jurors, claiming that race was not a factor), black jurors were excused at a much higher rate than whites. Of jurors who said that either they or someone close to them had had a bad experience with the police or the courts, prosecutors struck 100% of the blacks, but only 39% of the whites

http://www.capitalpunishmentincontext.org/issues/race

From a study in California:

Those who kill non-Latino whites are over three times more likely to be sentenced to die as those who kill African-Americans.

Those who kill non-Latino whites are over four times more likely to be sentenced to die as those who kill Latinos.

In cases where only one victim was killed and no felony was involved, those who kill non-Latino whites are over seven times more likely to be sentenced to die as those who kill African-Americans.

In cases where only one victim was killed and no felony was involved, those who kill non-Latino whites are over eleven times more likely to be sentenced to die as those who kill Latinos.

http://deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=54

I agree, as with most stats, they are used by people using them to show what they want. To fully figure it out you would most definitely have to dig much deeper. But to say they are disproportionately on death row comparing it to total population is even further from correct than what stats i posted.
Can you elaborate on where you're getting that idea? Because... it's mathematically incorrect unless I'm completely missing what you're seeing. But nobody else on here is arguing that point. Here's from the current death row chart:

BLACK 1227 41.69%

LATINO 383 13.01%

WHITE 1251 42.51%

OTHER 82 2.79%

Edit: I just now saw your post further up about prison populations. I don't necessarily agree with you there but I get what you're saying now. Neither the population nor the prison population actually answer the question.

I'm still waiting for an answer as to why BLM would want to remove body cameras from police. We can get into why they want to remove all the other tools police use to combat crime later but, for now, why the body cameras?

I would strongly encourage everyone to look at the link zoogs provided in post #31. Not sure how anyone can look at that BLM site and think, yeah, this is all good.

That makes no sense. Anyone who argues for Michael Brown or any other controversial figure killed by the police should want the police to have body cameras. It defies logic for anyone to not want them. They would help the police who are doing the right thing, and help any future victims of the police doing the wrong thing, and I don't have time to look it up but I swear I've seen studies where they lower the number of incidents between the police and the people they're stopping because both parties know they're on camera.

• Fire 2

Can you elaborate on where you're getting that idea? Because... it's mathematically incorrect unless I'm completely missing what you're seeing. But nobody else on here is arguing that point. Here's from the current death row chart:

BLACK 1227 41.69%

LATINO 383 13.01%

WHITE 1251 42.51%

OTHER 82 2.79%

If you see that and think Blacks aren't disproportionately killed by the death penalty compared to the population proportion then you're misreading it. If you're talking about something else please elaborate.

And how do you get that Whites are overrepresented given that chart? Whites make up 62.6% of the population. Proportionate representation on death row compared to the population would mean that 62.6% of death row is Whites. I'm wondering if you're thinking it should be 25% for each group. I can't figure it out.

You make things too difficult. I'm saying its not right to compare blacks on death row to total population. Its not even completely right to compare blacks on death row to prison population per race, but its better than comparing it to total population percentage. I believe you are correct in it being best to be compared to murder convictions per race or something more specific like that.

BLACK 1227 41.69%

LATINO 383 13.01%

WHITE 1251 42.51%

OTHER 82 2.79%

If you see that and think Blacks aren't disproportionately killed by the death penalty compared to the population proportion then you're misreading it. If you're talking about something else please elaborate.

And how do you get that Whites are overrepresented given that chart? Whites make up 62.6% of the population. Proportionate representation on death row compared to the population would mean that 62.6% of death row is Whites. I'm wondering if you're thinking it should be 25% for each group. I can't figure it out.

You make things too difficult. I'm saying its not right to compare blacks on death row to total population. Its not even completely right to compare blacks on death row to prison population per race, but its better than comparing it to total population percentage. I believe you are correct in it being best to be compared to murder convictions per race or something more specific like that.

Hey. I just edited my post right before you posted this