"The missile"

Rigoni diversifies skills, strives to up time on defense

By: JOE BONGE

Issue date: 4/11/06 Section: Sports

PrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 2 next > Listen to Brandon Rigoni's philosophy on football, and it's easy to see what he's about.

The senior free safety Lincoln Southeast High School graduate approaches life much the way he does football.

``It's better to play three plays in a game and make two big plays than to play 50 snaps and be an average player,'' Rigoni said. ``Whatever opportunities you get, make the most of them.''

The 5-foot-6 Rigoni has made a name for himself as a gunner on NU's punt coverage for the last two seasons while dishing out some vicious hits to players sometimes nearly a foot taller than he.

This spring, he has seen action at the No. 2 free safety spot behind senior Andrew Shanle and is looking for an opportunity he has yet to see as a Cornhusker: significant playing time on defense.

``I want to contribute more on defense,'' Rigoni said. ``I want to be more a part of this team as far as leadership. We have a lot of great leaders, but we could always use more.''

Rigoni started dreaming of the opportunities as a child while attending Nebraska football games with his father, Chuck Rigoni.

Throughout high school, Rigoni never thought about playing anywhere else.``He's a very goal-oriented person,'' Chuck Rigoni said. ``Each thing he obtains, he always sets a new goal. He always wants more.''

Rigoni walked onto Frank Solich's program in 2002, the season after Nebraska lost in the national championship game to Miami.

He practiced on the scout team for two years and was forced to return to the stands with his father to watch the games.

But all the time spent practicing without suiting up is where Rigoni found his niche of being a big hitter.

``I was taking on crack blockers every play in practice because all we did was run the option,'' Rigoni said. ``I made a living off of taking receivers out that were coming to crack me.''

After Rigoni's second year, Solich was fired and Coach Bill Callahan brought in a new staff.