Mark Philipp S/C

Warrior10

I agree Mark Phillip has made the big difference but I'd like to give Boyd Epley an assist. Boyd identified the problems from the past regime in the weight / conditioning by testing all of the athletes according to his specs. He blew the whistle on the sloppy shortcut habits that had been developed and got some push back for de-emphasizing the 'new' records that had been set. Boyd was also on record as saying it was going to take a year to get the department back on track - now we are finally seeing some results under Phillip's leadership.

I had the same thought and I remembers Boyd putting out a time line for how long it would take.

Sam McKewon was on TBL today, and made a good comment about Nebraska just having physical superiority against 3 of the 4 opponents so far. That superiority is not only S&C, but simply having better players and more of them, and that enables Nebraska to take control of those games in the 2nd half. He notes that last season, Riley and his staff struggled to do that. They didn't appreciate the pure physical advantage (through recruiting and talent) that NU is going to have over a number of opponents. The coaches were too caught up in the scheme and matchups. Sometimes, the coaches need to think "If we keep doing what we are doing for 4 quarters, eventually we are going to beat this team up", and that's what has happened.

I'm not trying to poo-poo what Phillip is doing with the S&C, because I think he is doing a great job. But, Nebraska is a program that should be able to recruit a far number of better players where they have a big talent advantage over half of the teams in conference and they should be able to enforce their will and get the win through 4 quarters of play.

Have to agree with this. Again, not trying to take anything away from our S/C guys but we've had three of our opponents totally out-manned and are significantly more physical than the fourth. It would be quite worrisome if this wasn't the case.

Now, if this continues to be the case through the second half of the season, then we'll be on to something.

Sam McKewon was on TBL today, and made a good comment about Nebraska just having physical superiority against 3 of the 4 opponents so far. That superiority is not only S&C, but simply having better players and more of them, and that enables Nebraska to take control of those games in the 2nd half. He notes that last season, Riley and his staff struggled to do that. They didn't appreciate the pure physical advantage (through recruiting and talent) that NU is going to have over a number of opponents. The coaches were too caught up in the scheme and matchups. Sometimes, the coaches need to think "If we keep doing what we are doing for 4 quarters, eventually we are going to beat this team up", and that's what has happened.

I'm not trying to poo-poo what Phillip is doing with the S&C, because I think he is doing a great job. But, Nebraska is a program that should be able to recruit a far number of better players where they have a big talent advantage over half of the teams in conference and they should be able to enforce their will and get the win through 4 quarters of play.

Have to agree with this. Again, not trying to take anything away from our S/C guys but we've had three of our opponents totally out-manned and are significantly more physical than the fourth. It would be quite worrisome if this wasn't the case.

Now, if this continues to be the case through the second half of the season, then we'll be on to something.

It depends on the opponent. Teams like Illinois, Purdue, and Maryland, NU should be able to physically dominate and win.

It depends on the opponent. Teams like Illinois, Purdue, and Maryland, NU should be able to physically dominate and win.

Yeah, I agree. I was still considering Illinois and Purdue as the "first half." I was directing my comment towards Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa and - to some extent - Minnesota.

Yeah, I agree. I was still considering Illinois and Purdue as the "first half." I was directing my comment towards Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa and - to some extent - Minnesota.

I read it as "rest of schedule" but that was my misunderstanding. We are on the same page. It's good to wear down opponents, but for half of Nu's schedule, I would expect it to be that way. That's through a combination of recruiting, roster depth, and S&C.
  • Fire 1