TDB: How Russia dominates your Twitter feed to promote lies (and Trump, too)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/06/how-russia-dominates-your-twitter-feed-to-promote-lies-and-trump-too.html

Two or three tweets called for prayers for U.S. service members potentially in harms way, suggesting Americans were again being overrun in another Benghazi type scenario. More than 10 percent of English speakers citing #Incirlik contained the word “Trump” in their user profile information. From the public view, it’s difficult to determine which of these English accounts are real Americans supporting the Trump campaign or instead manufactured accounts inciting support for the Trump campaign and fomenting dissent amongst the U.S. electorate.

This melding of Russian-friendly accounts and Trumpkins has been going on for some time.

I created this list of Russian trolls,” writer Adrian Chen told the Longform podcast in December 2015. “And I check on it once in a while, still. And a lot of them have turned into conservative accounts, like fake conservatives. I don’t know what’s going on, but they’re all tweeting about Donald Trump and stuff.”

Interesting, isn't it?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/06/how-russia-dominates-your-twitter-feed-to-promote-lies-and-trump-too.html

Two or three tweets called for prayers for U.S. service members potentially in harms way, suggesting Americans were again being overrun in another Benghazi type scenario. More than 10 percent of English speakers citing #Incirlik contained the word “Trump” in their user profile information. From the public view, it’s difficult to determine which of these English accounts are real Americans supporting the Trump campaign or instead manufactured accounts inciting support for the Trump campaign and fomenting dissent amongst the U.S. electorate.

This melding of Russian-friendly accounts and Trumpkins has been going on for some time.

I created this list of Russian trolls,” writer Adrian Chen told the Longform podcast in December 2015. “And I check on it once in a while, still. And a lot of them have turned into conservative accounts, like fake conservatives. I don’t know what’s going on, but they’re all tweeting about Donald Trump and stuff.”

Interesting, isn't it?

Not surprised. When you see some of the most biased, offensive tweets the profiles are also typically beautiful women, which I also find interesting. Especially since we know how he's performing with that population.

That is very interesting.

One part of social media that I have been very frustrated at and find it interesting at the same time is the very very VERY obvious fake stories that get passed around Facebook...etc. Right wingers just LOVE to pass these around. Also the emails that get sent and resent and if someone would just stop and actually think about it....they would realize it's stupid.

I always wondered...who makes these or writes the fake news articles.

Hmmm...maybe it's the Russians and right wingers are just easy prey. :dunno

• Fire 1

Interesting, isn't it?

Not surprised. When you see some of the most biased, offensive tweets the profiles are also typically beautiful women, which I also find interesting. Especially since we know how he's performing with that population.

I'm confused at the population that you're referring to here. Are you saying that Trump isn't doing well with "beautiful" women? If so, how are you measuring this?

Interesting, isn't it?

I'm confused at the population that you're referring to here. Are you saying that Trump isn't doing well with "beautiful" women? If so, how are you measuring this?

He is performing the best with white males. Off the top of my head I can't recall the age range. Maybe my comment was too broad, but I'll stand by it :-)

• Fire 3

Interesting, isn't it?

He is performing the best with white males. Off the top of my head I can't recall the age range. Maybe my comment was too broad, but I'll stand by it :-)

I can't imagine why you would say that.

LINK

LINK

Clinton has opened a wide lead among women in particular — 58 percent to his 35 percent. Among college-educated women, she leads Trump by 19 percentage points, 57 percent to 38 percent.

LINK

The Democratic and Republican nominees and their surrogates are making direct appeals to female voters in campaign appearances in the suburbs of North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania and other battleground states; in television ads on channels such as Bravo and shows such as “Dancing With the Stars”; and on Facebook, where people’s feeds inundate them with campaign commentary.

But polls and focus groups, as well as interviews with women here in the battleground state of New Hampshire, show that Trump — who spent the past week haranguing a Latina former beauty queen over her weight — has a considerable challenge with many female voters.

“It’s very clear that Trump is doing extremely well among white non-college-educated men . . . but white women with a college degree is a huge impediment to getting where he needs to be,” said Whit Ayres, a veteran Republican pollster. “I’m not sure what he can do about it given all the comments he’s made about women over the last 15 months.”

• Fire 1

Back on topic: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/10/07/497093001/u-s-accuses-russia-of-election-year-cyber-meddling

The United States has officially blamed Russia for the hacking of computers of the Democratic National Committee and other political organizations, and accused Moscow of trying to interfere with this year's election process.
The charge came in a strongly-worded statement released by the Department of Homeland Security and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence on Friday.
"The U.S. intelligence community is confident that the Russian government directed the recent compromises of e-mails from U.S. persons and institutions, including from U.S. political organizations," said the joint statement.

If these polls are supposedly accurate, why can Hillary only pull a couple hundred people to her rallies while Trump routinely brings in 20-30,000+?

Everyone should do themselves a favor. Don't trust anything in MSM. Nothing.

Look at trending on Facebook. Several thousand people are talking about Trump's audio tape, but well over a million are talking about wikileaks. Most people aren't stupid enough to consider voting for Hillary, but unfortunately, those people are still out there.

If these polls are supposedly accurate, why can Hillary only pull a couple hundred people to her rallies while Trump routinely brings in 20-30,000+?

Look at trending on Facebook. Several thousand people are talking about Trump's audio tape, but well over a million are talking about wikileaks. Most people aren't stupid enough to consider voting for Hillary, but unfortunately, those people are still out there.

This is an altogether weird post. Rally size is not correlated with the general population's support of a candidate, and is therefore not relevant.

And I don't think you know what the word "most" or "stupid" mean. Unless you're talking about the entire population and not voters.

• Fire 1

Dude, if you think counting the people that go to rallies to watch the Trump show is a fair way to judge his potential you're pretty naive. And I'm pretty confident none of his rallies had 30k attendees.

Most people aren't stupid enough to still be supporting Trump in public much less voting for him, but unfortunately, those people are still out there.

• Fire 1

Ahhh yes, the Rally size = votes argument. I love that one. Please ignore the fact that the Trump campaign has been caught multiple times using fake pictures to artificially inflate perceived audience size.

Can we talk about how many yard signs and bumper stickers we've seen too? I think this Giant Meteor person is a serious dark horse.

Ahhh yes, the Rally size = votes argument. I love that one. Please ignore the fact that the Trump campaign has been caught multiple times using fake pictures to artificially inflate perceived audience size.

Can we talk about how many yard signs and bumper stickers we've seen too? I think this Giant Meteor person is a serious dark horse.

Might as well look at the number of likes people's Huskerboard posts get to decide who's winning the election.