Husker OL Has More Depth Than Thought

Mavric

The Nebraska offensive line plans before the season did not include walk-on Cole Conrad lining up across from NFL draft prospect Dawuane Smoot last Saturday during a close game with Illinois.

They also probably didn’t include Sam Hahn moving from right tackle to left guard after the Jerald Foster injury. Or Corey Whitaker having to replace Tanner Farmer at right guard at Northwestern, then start the Illinois game.

Each has just happened, and the Huskers so far have made it work.

“You have to adjust to it,” offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf said Monday. “But the kids that are playing, we just keep putting a new guy in there and he performs well, so we’ve been pleased with that. We are a little thin, but I think those guys are working and playing.”

OWH

• Fire 2

Pretty much what I've been saying since last year. I don't think the reasoning given for not rotating OL at least a little bit makes much sense. If "chemistry" is the main reason given, what happens when there are injuries that force you to rotate? And I think we've seen both last year and this year that the "gap" between the first and second team isn't as much as it's being made out to be. If we can take three guys who started as walk-ons - only one of whom was expected to be a starter before the year - and put up 200+ rushing yards against maybe the best defensive line we'll see all year including three potential NFL guys, I think that kind of shows the depth we have and how good these guys can be given a chance.

Here's the OL depth chart from early in fall camp:

LT - Gates, Gaylord
LG - Foster, Barnett
C - Utter, Decker
RG - Farmer, Whitaker
RT - Knevel, Hahn
And here's where it was (roughly) for most of the Illinois game (after Knevel went out) - changes highlighted:
LT - Gates, Gaylord
LG - Hahn, Barnett
C - Utter, Decker
RG - Whitaker, Hannon
RT - Conrad, Farniok
  • Fire 1

Yeah, offensive line was among my biggest concern coming into the year. (And D-line too, given the guys we lost from last year.) But the O-line play has been a pleasant surprise so far. I suspect this is due, at least in part, to the play calling. The screens, QB draws, and jet sweeps we've been running really keep the LBs and safeties on their toes. They can't put too many guys in the box without getting torched for a big gainer.

• Fire 1

A depth chart is somewhat of an opinion. The five games played are a fact.

The fact is that Nebraska has had good offensive line play with minimal penalties, at least "minimal" when compared to last year. I can't say who should play, as Nebraska's lineup is dictated as much by who is upright and mobile as any other factor. I am just happily surprised that the line has played well through these injuries, given that depth might have been a concern beforehand.

Random thought.... I'm surprised the move last Saturday wasn't Utter to a guard spot and Decker in at Center.

Saw a couple comments about that. Decker seemed to be right in the mix this spring. However he was apparently away from the team for awhile an unspecified reason this summer and now hasn't seemed to really be in the mix since fall camp started. Not sure what the story is.

However, they seem to really like Utter at center and I don't think you really want to change the center unless you absolutely have to.