Crying and B****ing about Trump

The sad part is that the over-whelming majority of Trump voters simply don't care about people being marginalized or discriminated against.

They care about themselves being marginalized. They care about being able to feed their families, send their kids to college, and they care about their way of life not disappearing. I disagree with them, but of course they would vote for Trump if they think that the democrats and liberals have forgotten them. Why wouldn't they? And why would they think their vote is a vote against other people? They don't know those people. Not a ton of muslims, LGBTQ+, blacks or any minority other than hispanics in small-town, agriculture/industry based Nebraska/Kansas/Ohio/Indiana/Florida/etc.

• Fire 2

I would agree with MC here. A vote for Trump fundamentally is a dismissal of those other people against whom he has railed. Not happening to know many of them is a poor and inadequate excuse for not regarding them as people. It's better to be honest: those things you mention that they do care about, they care about a lot more than whether or not these abstract groups are marginalized. They have decided that this is an acceptable outcome and all should bear all the criticism that comes with that acceptance.

That's the optimistic treatment. A smaller (we hope) segment of Trump voters actively cheer on this marginalization.

It's much harder to hate someone if you know them. Most people in the center of the country who hate Muslims likely don't know any, and never met any.

Hate is easy online, when you're typing words onto a screen. It's tough to look a real person on the eye and be hateful toward them.

• Fire 1

I would agree with MC here. A vote for Trump fundamentally is a dismissal of those other people against whom he has railed. Not happening to know many of them is a poor and inadequate excuse for not regarding them as people. It's better to be honest: those things you mention that they do care about, they care about a lot more than whether or not these abstract groups are marginalized. They have decided that this is an acceptable outcome and all should bear all the criticism that comes with that acceptance.

That's the optimistic treatment. A smaller (we hope) segment of Trump voters actively cheer on this marginalization.

Of course they care about those things more - what reason do they have to care about marginalized people groups that they don't know and don't interact with and are completely ignorant of, especially to care about that more than they care about their own personal well-being?

Oh, it's certainly understandable; I agree with that. I think it should also be phrased in accurate terms for what it is -- something that anyone who subscribes to these very American, very Western ideals of freedom, justice, and equality, should be able to recognize as antithetical to their basic humanity.