Crying and B****ing about Trump

I always get a chill down my spine now whenever I hear something that begins, "There is nothing to be scared about, if you..."

You don't have to do anything. There is nothing TO be scared about. Period. He's not going to turn into a dictator and overthrow the whole government.

I always get a chill down my spine now whenever I hear something that begins, "There is nothing to be scared about, if you..."

You don't have to do anything. There is nothing TO be scared about. Period. He's not going to turn into a dictator and overthrow the whole government.

There are plenty of things to be scared about that aren't as bad as having the government overthrown. But ideally you're correct.

• Fire 1

There are plenty of things to be scared about that aren't as bad as having the government overthrown. But ideally you're correct.

Okay, I exaggerated a bit ;) I'm glad you see what I'm saying, though.

GBR, I hope you can appreciate that this is a lot more true for some people than others. And for the others -- they don't necessarily deserve it.

People's lives are going to be affected in ways that I struggle to understand how their hurt could be anybody else's gain. It's really heartbreaking.

As for how much it will affect me -- it will affect everyone. Me less than most, but perhaps more than others. I mean, a "Don't worry, you'll be fine" statement depends a lot, I think, on the person on the other end not being gay, or transgender, or so on. That, I think, we should all have some problem with.

I mean, the thing I'm most concerned about personally is how contraceptive access, cost, and reproductive care quality is going to be affected in the coming years. That's not nothing by any stretch, but there's a lot of first world within first world there.

• Fire 2

GBR, I hope you can appreciate that this is a lot more true for some people than others. And for the others -- they don't necessarily deserve it.
People's lives are going to be affected in ways that I struggle to understand how their hurt could be anybody else's gain. It's really heartbreaking.
As for how much it will affect me -- it will affect everyone. Me less than most, but perhaps more than others. I mean, a "Don't worry, you'll be fine" statement depends a lot, I think, on the person on the other end not being gay, or transgender, or so on. That, I think, we should all have some problem with.
I mean, the thing I'm most concerned about personally is how contraceptive access, cost, and reproductive care quality is going to be affected in the coming years. That's not nothing by any stretch, but there's a lot of first world within first world there.

Trump will not take away any LGBT rights- Those have already been set by the Supreme Court. I assure he is not worried about repealing human rights that have already been put forward. Not even he is that bad. He is worried about the political issues first, such as ISIS and Obamacare. In the end, I guarantee he will be no worse than any other president we have had. I see why people may be a bit unnerved considering what he has said, but not to fear. Checks and balances are always in play.

I have more time to reply now so that we can argue, or whatever. Heh.

I have two good friends I went to school with who are Muslim and they have plenty to fear even if there is no surveillance on them and they're not kicked out of the country. Even before this year at least one of them had people in Lincoln screaming at her from their car while she was walking, because she was wearing a hijab. Not that it should matter, but she's not even from a country that has had anyone commit terrorist attacks. It will likely get worse now, even if Trump doesn't do anything. The fact he's president makes people who want to do these things feel like doing them is fine or even patriotic, because of his previous rhetoric.

• Fire 3

Every human problem except one has a human solution. What a great opportunity for churches and any group with the heart to serve, to open and fund things like a free clinic or day care in the poorer parts of any city where the need is greatest. I've heard people like Warren Buffet and other elites claim that they would be happy to pay more taxes. This is where you go to start funding. Establish relationships with the people and let them know they matter to someone instead of the person tending to them acting like they are just a number.

• Fire 1

I feel like people think he's a dictator who holds infinite power, which is not even close to true. Much like you and me, he cares about the well being of this country, and won't run it in the ground. He won't be different from any other Republican president we've had. Yes, he has diarrhea mouth and I wish he didn't. But if you look closely, he has the same agenda as a normal republican president. And anything extreme has to go through congress first, and we all know they won't let him deport every Muslim.

He was voted in via the same process as the past 44 presidents were. Not everybody is going to like their president, I am not satisfied with Obama. But it's not a thing where I am going to go protest about it on college campuses. I don't need therapy because Obama is in office. People are ridiculously overreacting when at the end of the day, people are going to go and live their normal lives with Donald Trump as president, and in 4 years we can do this all again.

You don't need therapy because of Obama because Obama didn't run on a campaign where he explicitly stated he was going to deport you, or your friends or loved ones.

Those people Donald said he's going to deport - I know some of them and consider them my friends. I'm really supposed to just be happy the president-elect has explicitly stated he'll deport them? Or the fact that 59 million people endorsed that man?

You are right GBR...he won this election fair and square, and the whining on the left continues.

Knapplc-Did those you are worried about getting deported follow the rule of law and come here the right way?

• Fire 3

I have two good friends I went to school with who are Muslim and they have plenty to fear even if there is no surveillance on them and they're not kicked out of the country. Even before this year at least one of them had people in Lincoln screaming at her from their car while she was walking, because she was wearing a hijab. Not that it should matter, but she's not even from a country that has had anyone commit terrorist attacks. It will likely get worse now, even if Trump doesn't do anything. The fact he's president makes people who want to do these things feel like doing them is fine or even patriotic, because of his previous rhetoric.

I can say the Trump supporters that are taking this too far are stupid, and all I can do is apologize for their actions. I am sure that Trump himself would not condone them. There are also people on the other side shooting Trump supporters, setting them on fire, etc. There are as many people doing that stuff as there are bad Trump supporters, which I think we can both agree are a very small percentage of each side.

• Fire 1

There is a lot of fear in this country even before this recent election. I know several police officers who, under Obama's administration and the anti-cop divisiveness he has helped to cultivate, no longer drive home in their police uniforms. They change at the station into regular clothes in order to not be targeted.

• Fire 1

Trump will not take away any LGBT rights- Those have already been set by the Supreme Court. I assure he is not worried about repealing human rights that have already been put forward. Not even he is that bad. He is worried about the political issues first, such as ISIS and Obamacare. In the end, I guarantee he will be no worse than any other president we have had. I see why people may be a bit unnerved considering what he has said, but not to fear. Checks and balances are always in play.

I have stated this at least once on HB already but I will walk you through it. Trump HAS stated he will take away LGBT rights. Let's start there and assume he was not bold-face lying.

Newt Gingrich, Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, and Mike Huckabee have stated it is Constitutionally valid & legal for the POTUS to ignore or defy a Supreme Court ruling. Further, the GOP partially funded research for a book published in 2015 to dispel the myth of "Judicial Supremacy" or the idea that only the Supreme Court can interpret law & Constitutionality. Again, in 2015, the GOP researched whether it would be legal for HRC, should she become president, to ignore the Supreme Court decision re: Citizen's United and act against them. The Conservative Research Group determined that would Constitutionally valid.

Gingrich, Carson, Cruz, and other GOP Conservatives have cited as precedent actions by Presidents Andrew Jackson, Abe Lincoln, FDR, Thomas Jefferson, Eisenhower, and Obama. While most of these are murky at best, Jackson, Lincoln, and FDR are more or less examples of the POTUS defying Judicial Supremacy. Further, these Conservatives have argued the only reason for the POTUS to support Supreme Court rulings is based on what? Tradition would be the answer...

Lastly, the only possible way the POTUS could be held in check in defying Judicial Supremacy of the Supreme Court is if Congress unilaterally took action against the POTUS.

Do you honestly believe a Republican Congress would do that to the Republican President on an issue the Republication Party unilaterally opposes? Is it more likely DT will hold to tradition as POTUS? Or, is it more likely, as an outsider brought in to "Drain the Swamp" DT would break from tradition?

Some light reading on the topic:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/05/19/the-myth-of-judicial-supremacy/

http://reason.com/blog/2015/06/04/can-the-president-lawfully-ignore-a-supr

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lyle-denniston/gingrich-supreme-court_b_1017418.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-05-12/ben-carson-invokes-dred-scott-decision-as-precedent-for-ignoring-supreme-court-rulings

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/01/25/obama-immigration-and-10-words-in-the-constitution-that-mean-mr-president-dont-be-a-king/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/may/29/mike-huckabee/huckabee-supreme-court-cant-overrule-other-branche/

Some relevant google searches:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=1101&q=can+the+president+overrule+the+supreme+court&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8ubf_mqLQAhVX-mMKHbtCCu8Q1QIIigEoAg

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=1101&q=can+the+president+defy+the+supreme+court&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8ubf_mqLQAhVX-mMKHbtCCu8Q1QIIiwEoAw

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=1101&q=how+does+the+supreme+court+enforce+its+decisions&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8ubf_mqLQAhVX-mMKHbtCCu8Q1QIIjAEoBA

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=1101&q=can+the+president+override+a+supreme+court+decision&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8ubf_mqLQAhVX-mMKHbtCCu8Q1QIIjQEoBQ

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=1101&q=who+enforces+supreme+court+decisions&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8ubf_mqLQAhVX-mMKHbtCCu8Q1QIIjgEoBg

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=1101&q=can+congress+overturn+a+supreme+court+decision&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8ubf_mqLQAhVX-mMKHbtCCu8Q1QIIjwEoBw

• Fire 3

I feel like people think he's a dictator who holds infinite power, which is not even close to true. Much like you and me, he cares about the well being of this country, and won't run it in the ground. He won't be different from any other Republican president we've had. Yes, he has diarrhea mouth and I wish he didn't. But if you look closely, he has the same agenda as a normal republican president. And anything extreme has to go through congress first, and we all know they won't let him deport every Muslim.

He was voted in via the same process as the past 44 presidents were. Not everybody is going to like their president, I am not satisfied with Obama. But it's not a thing where I am going to go protest about it on college campuses. I don't need therapy because Obama is in office. People are ridiculously overreacting when at the end of the day, people are going to go and live their normal lives with Donald Trump as president, and in 4 years we can do this all again.

You don't need therapy because of Obama because Obama didn't run on a campaign where he explicitly stated he was going to deport you, or your friends or loved ones.

Those people Donald said he's going to deport - I know some of them and consider them my friends. I'm really supposed to just be happy the president-elect has explicitly stated he'll deport them? Or the fact that 59 million people endorsed that man?

He cannot legally deport citizens. If he did, he'd be impeached instantly. There is nothing to be scared about unless you are here illegally, and even if that is the case, he probably won't get around to deporting even illegal immigrants.

I hated Trump in the primaries and I was sickened when he was named the Republican nominee. I hated that I had to vote for him. I wish it wasn't like this but it is. Here's the lowdown: Gay marriage will not go away, the Supreme Court has already ruled that. Muslims will not be deported, that's dumb. Women will still be equal to men. Everything legislatively that is in place, will still be in place.

First, there is precedent for repealing granted citizenship for foreign-born citizens. Secondly, there is precedent under GW for potentially ignoring the citizenship status with Gadahn I believe.

So, DT disenfranchises a segment of population then acts against that segment and what? A Republican Congress will impeach a sitting Republican President when there is murky precedent for the actions? No party would impeach their own President.

For reference, Clintion was a Democrat with impeachment effort by Republicans. Nixon was a Republican with impeachment effort by Democrats. Andrew Johnson was a Democrat with impeachment effort by Republicans. No other Presidents have seen progress on impeachment.

• Fire 3

As a small addendum to all that light reading ( :D), I think it's important to point out that while overturning Obergefell is probably a pipe dream, it doesn't take that to undermine the rights of those we don't think deserve it.

That's why it's really been a fight for dignity, in more than an abstract sense, for people who by default have none. Lest we make this partisan, those deficiencies have been true under Democratic administrations as well as Republican ones.

There's no indication Trump will be a vigorous advocate for these causes, and every indication he'll at minimum be given to the influence of those fiercely opposed.

• Fire 2

You realize that's the job of the police, right?

Thanks for dodging the question. But the police are supposed to serve and protect, not babysit entitled anti American malcontents who can't deal with the fact that their candidate lost.

And that describing lawful protests as "cry babies" is unnecessary hyperbole, right?

One of the best gifs going around right now says something to the effect of "protesting when your rights haven't been taken from you isn't protesting, it's whining. "

At this point there is nothing to protest. If the shoe fits....

If you want to decry the violent protesters, fine. I'm right there with you. Violence in the face of political defeat is ridiculous.

But that's a fraction of the protesters.

I agree.