Crying and B****ing about Trump

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't care for people endlessly denigrating our President.

That being said, just because I don't care for something doesn't mean other people should have to stop doing it. It is a free country after all.

I agree.

IMO, it's over the top and I'm tired of the whining.

The protests prior to him spending one day in office wreak of crybaby sour grapes.

If he F's stuff up big time, have at him.

Sure hope you didn't vote for Trump.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/266034630820507648

And a super duper ironic tweet from The Donald:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/266034957875544064

He deleted two more from that rant:

"The phoney electoral college made a laughing stock out of our nation. The loser one!"

"He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revolution in this country!"

Your president-elect, folks.

C'Mon Knapp....the damn democrats were mocking and giving Trump a hard time about not excepting the election results had he lost. Now it's the democrats who won't except the election results, bunch of hypocrites. However you slice it and dice it both sides are hypocrites.....except for one main difference.....there were no crybabies protesting back in 12'
  • Fire 3

I completely get their want to do it.

You have to understand the extent to which we are opposed to Trump -- something that I don't think merely falls along partisan lines. This isn't about policy and not getting our way (for example, on healthcare, Trump is /potentially/ a better result than Paul Ryan). This is everything #NeverTrump has been screaming at the top of their lungs about as we watched his horrifying, inexorable rise.

I probably won't but am not opposed to going to one. But I'm happy there's this show of solidarity and non-acceptance happening. Every time Trump said one thing or another (the list is truly ridiculous), I feel like those of all political stripes here were disgusted. That doesn't go away.

In all honestly, Trump is potentially better than lots of Republicans in a lot of ways. But where he's potentially worse, he's WAAAAAAAY worse.

• Fire 1

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't care for people endlessly denigrating our President.

That being said, just because I don't care for something doesn't mean other people should have to stop doing it. It is a free country after all.

I agree.

IMO, it's over the top and I'm tired of the whining.

The protests prior to him spending one day in office wreak of crybaby sour grapes.

If he F's stuff up big time, have at him.

Sure hope you didn't vote for Trump.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/266034630820507648

And a super duper ironic tweet from The Donald:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/266034957875544064

He deleted two more from that rant:

"The phoney electoral college made a laughing stock out of our nation. The loser one!"

"He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revolution in this country!"

Your president-elect, folks.

C'Mon Knapp....the damn democrats were mocking and giving Trump a hard time about not excepting the election results had he lost. Now it's the democrats who won't except the election results, bunch of hypocrites. However you slice it and dice it both sides are hypocrites.....except for one main difference.....there were no crybabies protesting back in 12'

Re-read what you wrote and try to find out how this is not the same thing and it's not hypocritical.

Trump was the one saying he would not accept the election results unless he won. It's expected that a percentage of the population will not accept the results. In every election. But this was Trump, a presidential candidate himself.

What did Clinton do after she lost?

Also, people aren't being crybabies. This isn't a bunch of people who lost a competition and are whining about it. They're worried about their friends' safety. It's not an overreaction, given some of the things Trump has said.

I completely get their want to do it.

You have to understand the extent to which we are opposed to Trump -- something that I don't think merely falls along partisan lines. This isn't about policy and not getting our way (for example, on healthcare, Trump is /potentially/ a better result than Paul Ryan). This is everything #NeverTrump has been screaming at the top of their lungs about as we watched his horrifying, inexorable rise.

I probably won't but am not opposed to going to one. But I'm happy there's this show of solidarity and non-acceptance happening. Every time Trump said one thing or another (the list is truly ridiculous), I feel like those of all political stripes here were disgusted. That doesn't go away.

That's fair.

I guess I feel like much of what he has said is a lot of bluster and bravado. But he did day some pretty nasty stuff.

I mean I'd say at least part of the argument is that Trump has been royally screwing up for almost a year, and in response to that we decided to make him President.

Just one anecdotal/hypothetical scenario. I personally know several women, friends of mine, protesting, because they have been victims of sexual assault and rape.

My friend Anna texted me last night saying, "People always ask why women are so hesitant or unwilling to come forward when they're sexually assaulted. It's because we live in a world where their abusers can become President."

Very good points.

To be fair, Hillary has had more than her fair share of screw ups, yet many (mostly on the left) still followed and voted for her. It's not like Bill and her are at all saintly.

GBR, the crux of your argument over the last half dozen or so posts seems to basically be, "Don't worry everybody, nothing will ever change for the worse because of checks and balances!" That seems to be at best fairly naive, and at worst just a terribly misinformed argument.

There are a lot of things that could get worse that don't really have anything to do with law, first of all. Accepted perceptions, biases, narratives of the general public for example. After 9/11, was it all of the sudden illegal to be Muslim in this country? No. Did Muslims in this country have to go through a hell of a lot more grief and sh#t than they did on 9/10 and beforehand? More than I could imagine.

Secondly, laws can actually change, and not always for the better. Take the Voting Rights Act, for instance.Maybe that doesn't hit close to home for you or seem like a huge deal being a young white male from Texas and now going to school in Lincoln, but since The Supreme Court gutted it, millions of Americans are now finding it incredibly difficult if not near impossible to even be able to vote -- the cornerstone of our democracy.

Further, even if things like gay marriage or Roe V Wade don't get overturned, that doesn't mean that those rights can't be made much more difficult and cumbersome to be grasped or obtained.

To a certain extent I actually agree with you (for example, not sure why Republicans were ever fearful of and are still fearful of, "OBAMA'S GONNA TAKE OUR GUNS AWAY!" But, to be fair, part of that was because Obama never said he was going to take guns away. You'll have to try and find it within you to forgive and understand Muslims, Latinx's, Blacks, LGBTQ+ people and others when they fear for their equality, protection and safety, because our new President made a campaign built in large part off of being anti-them, and whether he meant it or not, it worked, which means a lot of American citizens agree with the rhetoric.

I get why they are scared, and they can continue being scared and it won't affect me personally. I am more talking to the protestors who are making a big deal over something that A) Has not even happened yet, B) May not even change, and C) They can't do anything about. For example, UNL gave out therapy dogs to anyone who wanted them this past week because of Trump's election. He will be a Republican president, and the government is going to be very Republican, which we all know I don't see as a bad thing but some of you guys might. Other than the normal Republican stuff happening, I don't see much changing drastically in the form of human rights. And it is not hard to vote. I got my registration card, gave it to someone after I filled it out, and got my ballot on Tuesday. Was not painful at all.

Keep in mind I have never called myself a Trump supporter. I never campaigned for him after he was nominated, just because I would have hated myself for doing so. It was even semi-painful to bubble his name on election day. I get that he is an idiot, but we should at least give him a chance before worrying too much.

• Fire 1

GBR, the crux of your argument over the last half dozen or so posts seems to basically be, "Don't worry everybody, nothing will ever change for the worse because of checks and balances!" That seems to be at best fairly naive, and at worst just a terribly misinformed argument.

There are a lot of things that could get worse that don't really have anything to do with law, first of all. Accepted perceptions, biases, narratives of the general public for example. After 9/11, was it all of the sudden illegal to be Muslim in this country? No. Did Muslims in this country have to go through a hell of a lot more grief and sh#t than they did on 9/10 and beforehand? More than I could imagine.

Secondly, laws can actually change, and not always for the better. Take the Voting Rights Act, for instance.Maybe that doesn't hit close to home for you or seem like a huge deal being a young white male from Texas and now going to school in Lincoln, but since The Supreme Court gutted it, millions of Americans are now finding it incredibly difficult if not near impossible to even be able to vote -- the cornerstone of our democracy.

Further, even if things like gay marriage or Roe V Wade don't get overturned, that doesn't mean that those rights can't be made much more difficult and cumbersome to be grasped or obtained.

To a certain extent I actually agree with you (for example, not sure why Republicans were ever fearful of and are still fearful of, "OBAMA'S GONNA TAKE OUR GUNS AWAY!" But, to be fair, part of that was because Obama never said he was going to take guns away. You'll have to try and find it within you to forgive and understand Muslims, Latinx's, Blacks, LGBTQ+ people and others when they fear for their equality, protection and safety, because our new President made a campaign built in large part off of being anti-them, and whether he meant it or not, it worked, which means a lot of American citizens agree with the rhetoric.

I get why they are scared, and they can continue being scared and it won't affect me personally. I am more talking to the protestors who are making a big deal over something that A) Has not even happened yet, B) May not even change, and C) They can't do anything about. For example, UNL gave out therapy dogs to anyone who wanted them this past week because of Trump's election. He will be a Republican president, and the government is going to be very Republican, which we all know I don't see as a bad thing but some of you guys might. Other than the normal Republican stuff happening, I don't see much changing drastically in the form of human rights. And it is not hard to vote. I got my registration card, gave it to someone after I filled it out, and got my ballot on Tuesday. Was not painful at all.

Keep in mind I have never called myself a Trump supporter. I never campaigned for him after he was nominated, just because I would have hated myself for doing so. It was even semi-painful to bubble his name on election day. I get that he is an idiot, but we should at least give him a chance before worrying too much.

Of course it's not hard for you to vote. You're not who he's talking about. In North Carolina, for example, they de-registered thousands of voters. It had to be overturned, and only about a week before the election. Most of these people happened to be Black.

As for the first paragraph, people aren't this upset just because a Republican got elected. I think you know that.

• Fire 2

Hillary conceded in a televised speech. President Obama had Trump over to the White House and shook his hand. Where is this myth that Democrats aren't accepting the results of the election coming from?

I think you can see folks not accepting the results in the riots occurring in some parts of the nation. I think it's safe to say those folks didn't vote for Trump and are probably democrats or why would they be out there?

• Fire 3

Hillary conceded in a televised speech. President Obama had Trump over to the White House and shook his hand. Where is this myth that Democrats aren't accepting the results of the election coming from?

I think you can see folks not accepting the results in the riots occurring in some parts of the nation. I think it's safe to say those folks didn't vote for Trump and are probably democrats or why would they be out there?

Do you think someone has to be a Democrat to think Trump getting elected is terrible? I don't.

• Fire 3

Decided I'm done with sitting around. If we can't impact the next 4 years in higher office then we have to do it from the ground up. I made significant donations today to Planned Parenthood of Nebraska (the chapter is the Heartland Chapter if you go looking for it - figured they needed the donation more than my east coast chapter), the ACLU and NPR.

I'll put the challenge out to anyone else ...

• Fire 1

You are spot on. This is what the progressive left has become...violent whiners that have been coddled into thinking they can get their way by throwing tantrums.

• Fire 4