Crying and B****ing about Trump

It will likely get worse now, even if Trump doesn't do anything. The fact he's president makes people who want to do these things feel like doing them is fine or even patriotic, because of his previous rhetoric.

Wow. Following this line of thinking, all of the cowards who have executed a police officer in the last 7 and a half years have done so due to Obama's war on police.

Thanks again, Obama. (Serious)

GBR, the crux of your argument over the last half dozen or so posts seems to basically be, "Don't worry everybody, nothing will ever change for the worse because of checks and balances!" That seems to be at best fairly naive, and at worst just a terribly misinformed argument.

There are a lot of things that could get worse that don't really have anything to do with law, first of all. Accepted perceptions, biases, narratives of the general public for example. After 9/11, was it all of the sudden illegal to be Muslim in this country? No. Did Muslims in this country have to go through a hell of a lot more grief and sh#t than they did on 9/10 and beforehand? More than I could imagine.

Secondly, laws can actually change, and not always for the better. Take the Voting Rights Act, for instance.Maybe that doesn't hit close to home for you or seem like a huge deal being a young white male from Texas and now going to school in Lincoln, but since The Supreme Court gutted it, millions of Americans are now finding it incredibly difficult if not near impossible to even be able to vote -- the cornerstone of our democracy.

Further, even if things like gay marriage or Roe V Wade don't get overturned, that doesn't mean that those rights can't be made much more difficult and cumbersome to be grasped or obtained.

To a certain extent I actually agree with you (for example, not sure why Republicans were ever fearful of and are still fearful of, "OBAMA'S GONNA TAKE OUR GUNS AWAY!" But, to be fair, part of that was because Obama never said he was going to take guns away. You'll have to try and find it within you to forgive and understand Muslims, Latinx's, Blacks, LGBTQ+ people and others when they fear for their equality, protection and safety, because our new President made a campaign built in large part off of being anti-them, and whether he meant it or not, it worked, which means a lot of American citizens agree with the rhetoric.

• Fire 1

cornstar, what do you think serve and protect means? Because it sounds to me like the police utilizing their resources in response to protests is literally what their job description is.

Unless you think there also shouldn't be police presence after sports teams win championships, or 60,000+ concert crowds need traffic control either :dunno

• Fire 1

cornstar, what do you think serve and protect means? Because it sounds to me like the police utilizing their resources in response to protests is literally what their job description is.

Unless you think there also shouldn't be police presence after sports teams win championships, or 60,000+ concert crowds need traffic control either :dunno

Since no rights have been taken yet by Trump, there is nothing to protest.

The police have better things to do. There is plenty of crime they need to attend to. The police presence at a rally tonight was impressive. Lots of cops that could be working elsewhere.

GBR, the crux of your argument over the last half dozen or so posts seems to basically be, "Don't worry everybody, nothing will ever change for the worse because of checks and balances!" That seems to be at best fairly naive, and at worst just a terribly misinformed argument.

There are a lot of things that could get worse that don't really have anything to do with law, first of all. Accepted perceptions, biases, narratives of the general public for example. After 9/11, was it all of the sudden illegal to be Muslim in this country? No. Did Muslims in this country have to go through a hell of a lot more grief and sh#t than they did on 9/10 and beforehand? More than I could imagine.

Secondly, laws can actually change, and not always for the better. Take the Voting Rights Act, for instance.Maybe that doesn't hit close to home for you or seem like a huge deal being a young white male from Texas and now going to school in Lincoln, but since The Supreme Court gutted it, millions of Americans are now finding it incredibly difficult if not near impossible to even be able to vote -- the cornerstone of our democracy.

Further, even if things like gay marriage or Roe V Wade don't get overturned, that doesn't mean that those rights can't be made much more difficult and cumbersome to be grasped or obtained.

I agree with much of this, but can you explain how voting has become almost impossible? It was easier than ever for me. I requested an early ballot, filled it out on my time, and dropped it off on my way home from work. Not that voting has ever been difficult, but it was ridiculously easy this year.

To a certain extent I actually agree with you (for example, not sure why Republicans were ever fearful of and are still fearful of, "OBAMA'S GONNA TAKE OUR GUNS AWAY!" But, to be fair, part of that was because Obama never said he was going to take guns away. You'll have to try and find it within you to forgive and understand Muslims, Latinx's, Blacks, LGBTQ+ people and others when they fear for their equality, protection and safety, because our new President made a campaign built in large part off of being anti-them, and whether he meant it or not, it worked, which means a lot of American citizens agree with the rhetoric.

Can't disagree with you more. But it's not worth discussion at this point.

• Fire 1

The police have better things to do. There is plenty of crime they need to attend to.

If no rights have been taken away, then obviously they still have the right to protest regardless of how you feel about it, and the mandate of police is to respond accordingly. It's cool that you don't personally believe it's legitimate, but that's not what 'protect and serve' really implies for the job of a policeman when people exercise their legal rights. I guess it's an opinion that the police have better things to do, unless you have, like, a list of all things police do or are asked to do ranked from first to last in order of priority?

• Fire 1

I agree with much of this, but can you explain how voting has become almost impossible? It was easier than ever for me. I requested an early ballot, filled it out on my time, and dropped it off on my way home from work. Not that voting has ever been difficult, but it was ridiculously easy this year.

Here's a good breakdown of it, complete with confessions from some Republican lawmakers of the real reasons that states have been trying to enact these policies. I can't find it right now, but just within the last few days there was also a transcript of someone admitting to gerrymandering explicitly to try and suppress mostly black voters who voted Democrat.

• Fire 1

The police have better things to do. There is plenty of crime they need to attend to.

If no rights have been taken away, then obviously they still have the right to protest regardless of how you feel about it, and the mandate of police is to respond accordingly. It's cool that you don't personally believe it's legitimate, but that's not what 'protect and serve' really implies for the job of a policeman when people exercise their legal rights. I guess it's an opinion that the police have better things to do, unless you have, like, a list of all things police do or are asked to do ranked from first to last in order of priority?

All true.

I'd prefer if the police were tracking down gang members, rapists, and murderers, not babysitting the hissy fit the entitled mob was having because the election didn't turn out to their liking.

Cool, I agree those are all important, so let's forget about things like speeding tickets and noise complaints too ;) I'd love if the police forego all that stuff to focus on real crime. Then again, I might have a personal investment in them ignoring those types of things...

LOMS - are you talking about the North Carolina government, or something else?

Possibly? I remember seeing it, but offhand can't recall the context - I just remember seeing the paragraph and thinking exactly what John Oliver says in his bit. "Holy sh#t, you just said the thing that everybody knows but that you're not actually supposed to admit."

Cool, I agree those are all important, so let's forget about things like speeding tickets and noise complaints too ;) I'd love if the police forego all that stuff to focus on real crime. Then again, I might have a personal investment in them ignoring those types of things...

Haha. I get that.

Sorry, I'm just really frustrated and bewildered by these protests. I understand the protester's concerns, but I don't get their want to do it now.

If they peaceably protest during the campaign, cool. If they do so if and when Trump screws up, great. But now? I just don't get it.

I completely get their want to do it.

You have to understand the extent to which we are opposed to Trump -- something that I don't think merely falls along partisan lines. This isn't about policy and not getting our way (for example, on healthcare, Trump is /potentially/ a better result than Paul Ryan). This is everything #NeverTrump has been screaming at the top of their lungs about as we watched his horrifying, inexorable rise.

I probably won't but am not opposed to going to one. But I'm happy there's this show of solidarity and non-acceptance happening. Every time Trump said one thing or another (the list is truly ridiculous), I feel like those of all political stripes here were disgusted. That doesn't go away.

• Fire 1

I mean I'd say at least part of the argument is that Trump has been royally screwing up for almost a year, and in response to that we decided to make him President.

Just one anecdotal/hypothetical scenario. I personally know several women, friends of mine, protesting, because they have been victims of sexual assault and rape.

My friend Anna texted me last night saying, "People always ask why women are so hesitant or unwilling to come forward when they're sexually assaulted. It's because we live in a world where their abusers can become President."

• Fire 1