Sipple: No good excuses for being pummeled by ordinary Iowa team

Saunders

Why did Iowa beat Nebraska 40-10?

Because offensively we had to rely on a Quarterback with a busted hamstring to chuck it around who has never been that accurate chucking it around. Defensively I have no clue what the hell happened, that was just piss poor on staff and players alike.

This is not what we HAD to do.

It is what we chose to do.

Why are people still surprised when we go pass heavy?

To be fair, I don't think anyone is surprised when we go pass heavy. As you say, that is Langs and Riley's desire and natural tendency. I think the surprise and dissatisfaction creeps in because of the circumstances and situations in which we go pass heavy, and the personnel we do it with. Tommy slinging around a bunch of yolos....yeah, people are going to question that. Just like we question running zone reads with an immobile quarterback. Just like we question attempting to run right up the gut into the defensive strength of the opponent rather using misdirection or edge speed. And just like we question why in the 12th game of the season is an injured 4th year qb, who still can't go through pass progressions and who showed time and again he isn't capable of making simple throws, our best option against a weak pass D team.

I would've loved to see us go pass heavy, with somebody else at qb, and with enough runs to half ass keep the D honest. It was not a well called game by Langs and it was also a sh**ty defensive performance. I'm surprised that is the game plan they chose to go with especially after the first 2 quarters when it was a proven losing plan.

Imho...you lost because your program is built around a few select star players. Iowa played you with our own banged up QB wearing a damn keg under his jersey and without our best receiver. We max out our 2 star utility players on both sides of the ball and your coach hasn't had time to do it yet. We r predictable. Riley doesn't have to be. That might be your key to a conference championship someday. Calling your Iowa loss unacceptable is an entitled losing attitude that I guarantee Michigan didn't adopt and you are no Michigan...yet. Was this not a good season for you?

This was an average or below average season.

This team losing to Iowa isn't unacceptable, but losing like THAT was.

Iowa fans need to be somewhat satisfied with Ferentz. For all of their warts, he and his staff are much better than this Nebraska staff at getting the best out of what they have.

Because offensively we had to rely on a Quarterback with a busted hamstring to chuck it around who has never been that accurate chucking it around. Defensively I have no clue what the hell happened, that was just piss poor on staff and players alike.

Who else were we going to put in?

I didn't say we had to put someone else in. We could have called different plays.

That play calling was like a$$ against Iowa........ No excuse....It was as if the staff had no game plan at all. None, nada, nyet, nine,..........

And no clue as to how to stem the tide.

Why are people still surprised when we go pass heavy?
Langs is as Langs does.

It's not a surprise, it's just the wrong approach.

Went pass heavy because we couldn't run, plain and simple. Couldn't run inside or outside.

First, I disagee.

Second, we couldn't pass either. Newby and Bryant averaged more YPC than TA did YPA.

So why is it never "we couldn't pass so we had to go run heavy?"

We averaged 2.9 YPC on 31 attempts. That is not going to get it done when you are down by 3 scores.

The sad part is we only averaged 3.4 yard per reception. Either way, I think we had a better chance of a comeback by throwing it. All TA had to do was hit a couple open pass and it could have changed Iowa's gameplan.

Went pass heavy because we couldn't run, plain and simple. Couldn't run inside or outside.

Look at the play by play.

NU came out and ran two IB plays for 7 yards, then a QB draw for 2 yards and then a FB run to pick up the first.

After that, NU threw it 10 times, completing 3 of those passes for about 25 yards, which each of those 4 possessions ending in a punt.

During that same span, NU ran it 8 times for almost 20 yards. That's not a great average, but let's not pretend we tried to run a bunch with zero success but had indications of early success through the air.

I'd be curious to see how often, if ever, Langs dials up a run on 2nd and 8+ or on 3rd and 4+.

First, I disagee.

Second, we couldn't pass either. Newby and Bryant averaged more YPC than TA did YPA.

So why is it never "we couldn't pass so we had to go run heavy?"

We averaged 2.9 YPC on 31 attempts. That is not going to get it done when you are down by 3 scores.

The sad part is we only averaged 3.4 yard per reception. Either way, I think we had a better chance of a comeback by throwing it. All TA had to do was hit a couple open pass and it could have changed Iowa's gameplan.

Newby averaged 3.9 ypc. Bryant averaged 3.7. Neither is great but both are better than TA's 3.6 ypa.

And we weren't down by three scores the entire game. It's not like we only went to the YOLOBombs when we were down. We were doing that the entire game.

If we do things differently early, perhaps we're not having to come back from three scores down.