Memorial Stadium Construction...

Up in Brookings, South Dakota, Daktronics had the bid to put in the Nebraska football screen, until around February when they were undercut by a Japanese firm, Mitsubsi or Sanyo or Sony or someone like that.

If Daktronics had got the bid, they can have the screen installed within 60 days after an accepted, so it would have been competed by late May.

Since a Japanese firm is putting it in, the pieces are all coming from Tokyo, so who knows how long they will take to get to Lincoln.

Almost every other Pro and college football scoreboard in the United States over the past 6 years has been installed by Daktronics. But since this will be the largest college scoreboard in the U.S. the Japanese firm wanted the bid (along with the New York Yankees scoreboard) for name recognition purposes. They bid lower than the cost to make the scoreboard (by several million dollars) because they will make it up the difference on other projects these bragging rights create worldwide. So, although Nebraska is getting a great deal costwise on the scoreboard, I still would have liked to see the money go to South Dakota'a economy rather than Japan's economy. But heck, we buy everything else from Asia, so why not our scoreboards too. Anyway, probably more informatin than you wanted. But the scoreboard may take longer to complete than originally planned.

Thanks SDHusker...however if they are doing this deal for bragging rights I doubt it will be late cause that would not say much on their part....

I am not so sure that's true. On the surface, even if it's late it will still be amazing. and that's what they are going for. That they put up the biggest screen.

But, you are right in the sense that if it's late and someone comes asking about it for their arena I am sure the university will tell them about it.

Up in Brookings, South Dakota, Daktronics had the bid to put in the Nebraska football screen, until around February when they were undercut by a Japanese firm, Mitsubsi or Sanyo or Sony or someone like that.

If Daktronics had got the bid, they can have the screen installed within 60 days after an accepted, so it would have been competed by late May.

Since a Japanese firm is putting it in, the pieces are all coming from Tokyo, so who knows how long they will take to get to Lincoln.

Almost every other Pro and college football scoreboard in the United States over the past 6 years has been installed by Daktronics. But since this will be the largest college scoreboard in the U.S. the Japanese firm wanted the bid (along with the New York Yankees scoreboard) for name recognition purposes. They bid lower than the cost to make the scoreboard (by several million dollars) because they will make it up the difference on other projects these bragging rights create worldwide. So, although Nebraska is getting a great deal costwise on the scoreboard, I still would have liked to see the money go to South Dakota'a economy rather than Japan's economy. But heck, we buy everything else from Asia, so why not our scoreboards too. Anyway, probably more informatin than you wanted. But the scoreboard may take longer to complete than originally planned.

Sure...built in South Dakota...with all parts from Japan, China, Taiwan, etc. :rolleyes:

Big difference.

Mitsubishi has some nice equipment. I don't really care who does it, as long as it looks great and lasts.

Any more, it's like buying a Honda...the company is Japanese...but guess where the workers building the car are from?

Very true. Even though brookings sucks.......haaa

Speaking of the project...are they upgrading the sound system as well? It was ok before, but if you're going to amaze people visually, you better have a sound to back it up as well, I'd say! :clap

I agree any word on a new sound system. I assume the Jumbotron comes with a few speakers but does anyone know for sure.

so just to feed our egos...this is the biggest in college or the world of sports?