Making America Great Again

Is this for subjective positive changes?

For example, if a Muslim ban and registry are instituted, I'm sure some of you would be jumping for joy.

However, when thinking critically about how such a thing would be a direct violation of the 1st amendment, one could draw a conclusion about how that would not be a "positive change."

There is nothing about the 1st Amendment that would prohibit any ban on immigration of anyone. Those rights in general apply to citizens of the United States and those here lawfully. No foreigner has a 'right' to enter the United States without the express permission and approval of the United States government. The law is that simple. The United Statesvia the laws and regulations thereunder, and I dare say the President alone under his express powers as Commander in Chief of the military and charged with the exeuction of the federal laws and of course protecting the country from foreign and domestic threats to our security, can ban anyone from entry in this country. Period. Conversely, the President does not have power to permit in violation of duly enacted laws anyone into the country.

Zoogs, this is just a question as I am not in tune to your thoughts here.

If someone is currently living here in the US, and they did not obtain legal rights to be here like all those who did it right, what do you suggest is the proper action of our government?

I am not saying I agree with, or disagree with the current policy, or potential new policy (tbd).

The U.S is a nation of immigrants, founded by immigrants many of whom were fleeing persecution in their home countries in search of a land where they could enjoy freedom.

Of course, the U.S. itself has a history of treating later arrivals as outsiders and even (which is what 84 was talking about), barring immigration from specific countries wholesale. A nation of immigrants, celebrating the executive office's power to selectively exclude any and all that he chooses?

All of this to me goes expressly against the sentiments enshrined in "The New Colossus" and emblazoned upon one of our most cherished national symbols.

This country wasn't created out of many so that the present generations could say "We're the real Americans, you guys out there should never be."

The U.S is a nation of immigrants, founded by immigrants many of whom were fleeing persecution in their home countries in search of a land where they could enjoy freedom.Of course, the U.S. itself has a history of treating later arrivals as outsiders and even (which is what 84 was talking about), barring immigration from specific countries wholesale. A nation of immigrants, celebrating the executive office's power to selectively exclude any and all that he chooses?All of this to me goes expressly against the sentiments enshrined in "The New Colossus" and emblazoned upon one of our most cherished national symbols.This country wasn't created out of many so that the present generations could say "We're the real Americans, you guys out there should never be."

Taking current affairs into account though, is it not prudent to give those who are going through the proper steps and channels a big kudo's, and for those who blatantly thumb their nose at our laws, to be sent to the back of the line. Also, how does having (XXXXX) # of illegal aliens in our country affect us born and raised Americans? Not in the physical sense, but by burden, taxes, health care cost and all the natural things that a average person has to deal with.

We were talking about stopping people of certain religions (or doing this by proxy via the selection of certain countries) from immigrating.

Illegal immigration is not a big problem here. And I think humane solutions can be applied; namely, a pathway to citizenship. Of course legal immigration is better. I'm all for the free flow of people. It's 2016.

The U.S is a nation of immigrants, founded by immigrants many of whom were fleeing persecution in their home countries in search of a land where they could enjoy freedom.Of course, the U.S. itself has a history of treating later arrivals as outsiders and even (which is what 84 was talking about), barring immigration from specific countries wholesale. A nation of immigrants, celebrating the executive office's power to selectively exclude any and all that he chooses?All of this to me goes expressly against the sentiments enshrined in "The New Colossus" and emblazoned upon one of our most cherished national symbols.This country wasn't created out of many so that the present generations could say "We're the real Americans, you guys out there should never be."

Taking current affairs into account though, is it not prudent to give those who are going through the proper steps and channels a big kudo's, and for those who blatantly thumb their nose at our laws, to be sent to the back of the line. Also, how does having (XXXXX) # of illegal aliens in our country affect us born and raised Americans? Not in the physical sense, but by burden, taxes, health care cost and all the natural things that a average person has to deal with.

What if you are sitting in Mexico in a drug lord infested area and your family is in danger, the only way to ensure their safety is to flee across the border?

Did that mother and father just "thumb their noses" at our laws? Or, did they do what is necessary to protect their family from being victims in something they don't have any control over?

As to the bolded, not nearly as much as one political side wants you to believe.

• Fire 1

It takes months and months to immigrate to the US now. Some people fleeing persecution don't have that kind of time.

How Long Does it Take for an Immigrant to Legally Come to the United States?

There are many ways to immigrate into the US, and each way of immigration has a different timeline. If you are the immediate relative of a US citizen, for example, you may be able to secure a green card relatively quickly. This is because there are no limits on the number of immediate relatives who can receive green cards. If you are the spouse of a US citizen, a minor (under the age of 21) child of a US citizen, or the parent of a US citizen (who is over 21 years of age) you are considered an immediate relative. Generally, if you fit into one of these categories, you can immigrate once the paperwork is completed. It will still require a waiting time, however, to get the paperwork completed. For example, the visa petition can take up to 8 months to be reviewed by the USCIS and being sent the paper work can take another one to three months. Scheduling an interview can take two to four months. If the applicant is already in the US, the whole process can take up to one year, and this timeline may be longer for people applying from outside the US.

• Fire 1

While I appreciate the heartfealt responses, and I know there are a lot of these types of stories out there (fleeing Mexico for good reason) the other side of that coin can be traced right back to the Omaha area, when the illegal, took someone's life, was released and I believe is still at large.

I also spoke with an ICE agent in Texas not too long ago, and he was of Mexican decent. We were eating dinner at a table right next to him and his family, who originated from Mexico, came here legally, and was a criminal justice major. He got the job of being boarder patrol, then moved to ICE. He point blank told me that we needed to build the wall, because a majority of the people trying to get over the boarder illegally, are of the criminal element.

So where is the line in the sand?

What if you are sitting in Mexico in a drug lord infested area and your family is in danger, the only way to ensure their safety is to flee across the border?

Did that mother and father just "thumb their noses" at our laws? Or, did they do what is necessary to protect their family from being victims in something they don't have any control over?

As to the bolded, not nearly as much as one political side wants you to believe.

BRB, I am not naive to what you are stating. But I am also informed by virtue of my career path and life lessons, as well as communications with the very people who are burdened with trying to patrol our southern boarders.

No doubt, in the scenario you bring up, that is a hard pill to swallow. Tell me what would occur if we opened our boarders to all?

Could you not see a simuilar fall out as EU is now having to deal with? If not, how or why would it be different?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't respond to your bonded comment.

I would wager that those who are closer to the subject would argue this with you, because although the numbers might not seem large enough to be of concern to you or I here in our cushy state, they have to deal with 'real life' situations daily.

While I appreciate the heartfealt responses, and I know there are a lot of these types of stories out there (fleeing Mexico for good reason) the other side of that coin can be traced right back to the Omaha area, when the illegal, took someone's life, was released and I believe is still at large.

I also spoke with an ICE agent in Texas not too long ago, and he was of Mexican decent. We were eating dinner at a table right next to him and his family, who originated from Mexico, came here legally, and was a criminal justice major. He got the job of being boarder patrol, then moved to ICE. He point blank told me that we needed to build the wall, because a majority of the people trying to get over the boarder illegally, are of the criminal element.

So where is the line in the sand?

I live in an area that is very heavily hispanic. Quite frankly, I'm pretty dang sure many are illegal but I have no idea which ones so I don't judge.

I call complete and total BS on the bolded part. Are there some? Sure, but the majority? No.

• Fire 1

BRB; you can call it whatever you like. I have no reason to doubt what this ICE agent relayed to me. He is of Mexican decent and has to patrol the boarder from Brownsville up the coast. Why would he lie? I was not there in an official capacity and we were just talking off the record and as two individuals at a restaurant.

BRB, I am not naive to what you are stating. But I am also informed by virtue of my career path and life lessons, as well as communications with the very people who are burdened with trying to patrol our southern boarders.

No doubt, in the scenario you bring up, that is a hard pill to swallow. Tell me what would occur if we opened our boarders to all?

Could you not see a simuilar fall out as EU is now having to deal with? If not, how or why would it be different?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't respond to your bonded comment.

I would wager that those who are closer to the subject would argue this with you, because although the numbers might not seem large enough to be of concern to you or I here in our cushy state, they have to deal with 'real life' situations daily.

First of all, I am all for securing the border in a reasonable way. The wall is just plain one of the dumbest political promises I have seen people fall for in a very very long time. Even Trump has backed off on it now claiming it wouldn't be the entire border.

Well, we DO have a wall on a portion of the border and there have been tunnels and other ways to still smuggle across the border.

It's a political promise that sounds good but is total BS.

Second, I am not advocating just opening up the border for anyone and everyone to cross. Nothing I have said has indicated that.

The good ol Trumpster started off his campaign saying we are going to build this wall and then round up 12 million illegal immigrants and ship them back. Now, he is even smart enough to back off from that now, but, hey....that sure garnered a lot of support. USA USA USA....

What people don't realize when they discuss the "cost" that all of these despicable people are are causing by coming across the border is the other side of the equation and that is the economic good they provide. One thing that gets totally lost in this many times is the fact that one hell of a lot of these people still pay all applicable taxes. Let's say the packing plant in Grand Island hires 200 illegal employees. Those 200 employees still pay taxes. The company still withholds all appropriate deductions...etc.

I met a guy last summer that wanted to do some concrete work for me. He had worked for a local construction company for 30 years, raised a family, paid all taxes, sent his kids to college..etc. The company found out he wasn't documented because his family came across the border when he was 8-10 years old. So, he lost his job. He was trying to make a living doing odd jobs until he could get through the legal system to get things worked out.

This guy has not been a drain on our society. He has contributed to it. I would even say the country is better off with him and his family here. THESE are the stories we don't hear about because these people are living in fear of their stories being found out.

I completely agree that if someone is here illegally and they commit a felony, they should be deported.

But, you go to our local Walmart on a weekend, and I'll show you the people I would like to deport and it's not the hispanic families that are there who are clean cut, respectable, their kids behave, they are polite and family oriented. I would much rather get rid of the white trash walking around that looks totally unemployable to mop a floor.

BRB; you can call it whatever you like. I have no reason to doubt what this ICE agent relayed to me. He is of Mexican decent and has to patrol the boarder from Brownsville up the coast. Why would he lie? I was not there in an official capacity and we were just talking off the record and as two individuals at a restaurant.

I know military people who blow up stories to match their political beliefs too and at the same time, I'll have other military people tell me the guy is full of sh#t. Now, if I talked to the one person who blew up the story....why would I ever question him?

• Fire 1