Good grief

mwj98

Hahaha! Ok Elf. Some of you guys just have a weird agenda.

No agenda here other than the truth. So many NU fans today only remember Osborne's 60-3 run over 5 years and have very little, if any, knowledge of what transpired the 20 years prior.

Yes, Osborne had some "struggling" years in his first 20 years, but he also won plenty of conference championships and was a play or two away from 2-3 national championships in those 20 years. Let's not also forget that.

83 was his best season (imo) prior to the 60-3 run. And yeah, that was one hell of a football team. Fryer, Gill and Rozier, the Triplets. :)

Prior to his 90's run, Osborne won 8 conference titles. (90's run...93 to 97) I dunno if I'd call that "plenty" because I can be a greedy bastard. ;)

No agenda here other than the truth. So many NU fans today only remember Osborne's 60-3 run over 5 years and have very little, if any, knowledge of what transpired the 20 years prior.
Yes, Osborne had some "struggling" years in his first 20 years, but he also won plenty of conference championships and was a play or two away from 2-3 national championships in those 20 years. Let's not also forget that.
83 was his best season (imo) prior to the 60-3 run. And yeah, that was one hell of a football team. Fryer, Gill and Rozier, the Triplets. :)

Prior to his 90's run, Osborne won 8 conference titles. (90's run...93 to 97) I dunno if I'd call that "plenty" because I can be a greedy bastard. ;)

NU was close in '78 (had beaten OU, then lost to Missouri the following week) and probably had the best team in '82, as well, but Penn State had the controversial win in Happy Valley.

NU was close in '78 (had beaten OU, then lost to Missouri the following week) and probably had the best team in '82, as well, but Penn State had the controversial win in Happy Valley.

I was at the OU game in '78 with one of my brothers. We got to use our grandmother's faculty tickets that day. Her seats were in the south end zone right behind the goal posts. My brother and I watched the goal posts get pulled down that day. :)

You are absolutely correct though, the '78 and 82 teams were pretty bad ass as well.

I was at the OU game in '78 with one of my brothers. We got to use our grandmother's faculty tickets that day. Her seats were in the south end zone right behind the goal posts. My brother and I watched the goal posts get pulled down that day. :)

You are absolutely correct though, the '78 and 82 teams were pretty bad ass as well.

That '78 game sounds like a cool moment.

The only thing I am trying to say is that the best years we have seen in the past 15 years were considered poor years during Osborne. I think some people try to go out of their way to prop up the recent coaching records by making those types of posts. Osborne had a lot of years we all would enjoy, even when he wasn't winning the national championship.

That '78 game sounds like a cool moment.

The only thing I am trying to say is that the best years we have seen in the past 15 years were considered poor years during Osborne. I think some people try to go out of their way to prop up the recent coaching records by making those types of posts. Osborne had a lot of years we all would enjoy, even when he wasn't winning the national championship.

Don't get me wrong, I've certainly enjoyed watching NU football all these years, and we have had some really good seasons. We've also been fortunate to only have a few really bad ones in the last half-century.

I think I can agree with the bolded part. My point in all of this is, it hasn't been all roses either. To many forget we had our struggles under Osborne even if that didn't include losing seasons.

I don't think next year is make or break for Riley. It will really be the first season of getting his pieces in place.

But if that's not paying off in 2018....yeah, the seat's hot.

I agree - I'm personally not ready to say it's a "make or break" type year, which to me has always suggested either he reaches an important goal or gets fired.

The question will be how much leeway the coaches are given. Do they receive a considerable amount of slack given they're breaking in a brand new starting quarterback, have some questions on the lines, lose WR depth and have to replace Nate Gerry? Or, do people end up looking at those thing as just excuses rather reasons?

I do know most of the starters next year will either be Riley recruits or will have spent just as much time (if not more) training under Riley than they did Pelini.

2017 - Had to break in a new QB, all the OL is young, not much depth at WR, look how many guys we lost from last year, ....

2018 - It's the B1G's fault - look at how tough that schedule is!, we were so far behind on DL recruiting that we're still trying to catch up, ....

2019 - .....

Save those...because they will be used. Next year NU will be the only team in the nation "breaking in a new QB", they will be the only team with "new WR's" and so on and so on

Got about half of them covered .... plus a couple...

I find it somewhat ironic that some fans are even trying to compare our team this year in Riley's second year to some of TO's teams when he'd been HC for two decades. Let that sink in for a moment. Our 90' and 91' squads were rather average. These were teams recruited and built by none other than TO. They were teams who couldn't compete with ranked teams. TO had been HC for two decades and was putting a product on the field that struggled.

We haven't had a single coach since TO last even half as long as TO did before his run. Bo lasted the longest, but he didn't even last as many years as it took TO to win his first outright Big 8 title. By only allowing a coach 4-7 seasons, we will never be a successful program again.

• Fire 1