Adam Carriker on Unsportsmanlike Conduct

If you did catch him, Carriker was on Unsportsmanlike Conduct earlier giving his insights on the 3-4:

https://soundcloud.com/unsportsmanlike-conduct-1/jan-20-seg-12-adam-carriker-former-blackshirt

Says it's going to take a while to learn the new system... as in Years.

Says new system is total opposite of old system... could not be more different.

Says "nose guard" is critical in 3-4... says "we don't have one".

Well it took Diaco 3 years to get great performance from the Notre Dame defense with the 3-4. I am unsure whether his predecessor at Notre Dame was also using the 3-4 or something different. Let's hope we are not waiting until the 2019 season to see great things from our defense.

We haven't had a great defense since around 2010 (give or take 1 year) - I would be happy with a solid defense the next 2 years and a great defense in 2019.

If you did catch him, Carriker was on Unsportsmanlike Conduct earlier giving his insights on the 3-4:

https://soundcloud.com/unsportsmanlike-conduct-1/jan-20-seg-12-adam-carriker-former-blackshirt

Says "nose guard" is critical in 3-4... says "we don't have one".

Well it took Diaco 3 years to get great performance from the Notre Dame defense with the 3-4. I am unsure whether his predecessor at Notre Dame was also using the 3-4 or something different. Let's hope we are not waiting until the 2019 season to see great things from our defense.

With Notre Dame players.

Notre Dame recruits at a high level... they were recruiting at a high level before he got there and they are still recruiting at a high level... now.

We don't recruit at a high level.

Welp that settles it, guess we better just give up then.

But really, we have talent at the linebacker position and have some guys are can be better in the 3-4 than they were in the 4-3 (Stoltenberg). Our defensive backs are going to be solid too. I know we don't have a nose guard at this point and we will probably have to use one of the Davis's in a spot where they aren't as effective. I still believe we aren't looking at a 3 year process and won't see a huge drop off while they learn.

The sky is not falling even though it does make for better message board conversations.

• Fire 2

He also says that it immediately creates a much more unpredictable alignment for offenses to decipher. That is a big bonus in my opinion.

You are right that it sounds like an awful lot of education that is about to come our players way, but I trust that he is a solid teacher and we definitely have position coaches that will get buy in fairly quickly. He did also state that these are young guys and as opposed to NFL guys don't have a huge amount of muscle memory in the 4-3. They will be able to pick it up I think. Won't be perfect right away obviously, but I don't think it will be years till we see the benefits.

We don't have the players to run the new system...

And even if we do eventually recruit the needed players (who knows when ?)... it will take them years to learn it.

Sound familiar ?

Outside of NG what other positions do you think we are lacking players in for this system?

Adam said that OLBs are the most important position in Diaco's defense, and the NG is 2nd most. I don't know if we do have the OLBs to run his system. I know we don't have the prototype NG.

An article I read on his defense said that the NG is the most important, and the SS is second most important. Not sure which is true.

When I heard his name being thrown around for DC, I really liked it. I'm sure he's better than Banker, but the more I learn about this hire, the less excited I am about it.

• Fire 1

Did you not here him say his first year at UCONN they were a top 15 defense? I think his system is adaptable and effective just based on that. He will construct the system around the players we have.

Look who they played. They play in the American Athletic Conference.

And he was not the Defensive coach of that team... he was the head coach...

Of a team that went... 2-10... 6-7... 3-9... in his 3 years as head coach.

i wouldn't be so quick to sh#t on the AAC. Probably betteR than the big 12 this year

He also says that it immediately creates a much more unpredictable alignment for offenses to decipher. That is a big bonus in my opinion.

You are right that it sounds like an awful lot of education that is about to come our players way, but I trust that he is a solid teacher and we definitely have position coaches that will get buy in fairly quickly. He did also state that these are young guys and as opposed to NFL guys don't have a huge amount of muscle memory in the 4-3. They will be able to pick it up I think. Won't be perfect right away obviously, but I don't think it will be years till we see the benefits.

We don't have the players to run the new system...

And even if we do eventually recruit the needed players (who knows when ?)... it will take them years to learn it.

Sound familiar ?

Outside of NG what other positions do you think we are lacking players in for this system?

Adam said that OLBs are the most important position in Diaco's defense, and the NG is 2nd most. I don't know if we do have the OLBs to run his system. I know we don't have the prototype NG.

An article I read on his defense said that the NG is the most important, and the SS is second most important. Not sure which is true.

When I heard his name being thrown around for DC, I really liked it. I'm sure he's better than Banker, but the more I learn about this hire, the less excited I am about it.

Adam comes from the front 7 so I would assume he might have some bias as far as important positions. That being said, I am comfortable with who we have for Defensive backs and outside linebackers. I'm not saying top 10 from the start, but I feel like we might be able to rein in some of those horrific defensive performances right away. Oregon on the road is going to be an immediate test. All that speed in a tough environment. I know they went 4-8, but I bet they rebound and Diaco is going to have a showcase type game to show off what has or has not been accomplished in his short tenure.

Let's not forget Diaco himself has said his scheme is not a traditoinal 3-4 and that there's a lot of flexibility. There's a variety of schemes that can be played from the 4-3; think about the difference between McBride's, Cosgrove's, Pelini's (2003 vs as HC), and Banker's systems, and those were all 4-3 based defenses. I'm sure the 3-4 has a similar variety of differences that don't all require the same personnel, such as a war daddy NT.

• Fire 4

Let's not forget Diaco himself has said his scheme is not a traditoinal 3-4 and that there's a lot of flexibility. There's a variety of schemes that can be played from the 4-3; think about the difference between McBride's, Cosgrove's, Pelini's (2003 vs as HC), and Banker's systems, and those were all 4-3 based defenses. I'm sure the 3-4 has a similar variety of differences that don't all require the same personnel, such as a war daddy NT.

Nailed it! He was extremely personable during the conference, but I almost felt as if he was slightly offended when discussing the 3-4. He almost started coaching and teaching right then and there about how it's not as simple as what it's been made out to be thus far. I think Diaco is going to be pretty excited to dig into variations and sets that maximize what we have at this time.

• Fire 1

no noseguard, tiny linebackers that cant tackle.

Wisconsin is going to score 70 again.

What is this? Wisconsin needed overtime to crack 20 points.

Don't think our linebackers are tiny either..

umm, you looked at the roster lately? Typical 3-4 linebackers need to be able to repeatedly handle linemen coming to the second level. Theres barely a LB cracking 230, and theyve been proving to not even handle fullbacks or tight ends, let alone a nasty big ten guard

• Fire 1

Quayshon Alexander 235

Tyrin Ferguson 225

Pernell Jefferson 225

Sedrick King 250

Colin Miller 235

A.J. Natter 260

Marcus Newby 235

Greg Simmons 240

Dedrick Young 220

May have missed some but Looks like we only have 3 under 235. Also Freedom is listed as 255 and we already know he's bumped up to 280 so some of these guys could be even bigger already. You're also telling me some of these guys can't put on 5, 10 or more pounds of good weight in the off season? Also many of these guys are pretty darn young too. Their frames will fill out. Size of the linebackers is not a major concern.

Also recognize that we are going to be needing these guys to run and cover as well. As wonderful as 260 or whatever the number you have in your head is, it may not meet the needs of everything this position will be asked to do. I mean if your so worried about size, slap DaiShon Neil in there too at 270, but he'd have to drop some, unless you want a 270 pound guy running with a back.

In the end a 3-4 scheme is meant for the front three to eat up blockers and for the linebackers to run and make plays either in the run game, pass rush, or pass coverage. Our group looks to be pretty darn good at this.

• Fire 1