Tim Miles Has Improved Huskers, Admin Should Look At Itself Before Denying Him Sixth Year (Barfknecht)

BTN last night asked the talking heads what team in the Big Ten does a top ranked team NOT want to play in the tourney. The first one said "Nebraska!" Because of our guard play and we are mostly healthy now. I would say Miles has earned a contract extension.

What !! He's 20 games under 500 since the 10 game stretch 3 years ago. I guess if you are ok with 500 ball or worse, then fine. I'd prefer to win more games then we lose.

Not to be negative as I prefer to find the positives when I can but frankly the Nebraska men's basketball discussions over fire the coach - hire a new coach, etc etc. read and sound the same as they have for about 50 years. We don't need to fire Miles and hire XXX coach or YYY coach as the outcomes will be the same, basically. Nebraska is NOT a basketball school for whatever reasons and never has been or will be. The names have changed but the product remains the same. Nothing of much significance has since Slippery Joe Cipriano was screaming from the courtside so long long ago. It would have been the same for all the prior coaches. Nebraska never won a championship and never will, absent a "miracle on ice" kind of moment when all the planets and stars align in some mystical pattern for a brief moment.

Miles is as good a coach as any we've had, perhaps with exception of Moe Iba (my personal choice as Nebrasaka's 'best' coach). His teams were smart, disciplined, careful and deliberate and we seemed competitive with almost anyone and rarely lost by double digit points, even to mighty Kansas, etc. He recruited well "for Nebraska". But, in the end, we weren't a conference champion EVER. I seriously don't think we ever will be. The Gods just didn't include us in the blessed list when it comes to winning on the hardwood. I would rather we keep our coach and given him another 5 years as I would think we could reduce his salary a hundred grand a year and he'd be happy to stay and know he was employed.

We need to put our eggs back in the football basket as football ticket sales, etc are 'ify' enough already. No need to split or divide the limited fan base anymore. In my view, we didn't need the new arena for the same basic reasons. A new arena is not going to make a difference and after this long it is not making any difference. We are still mediocre or less in men's basketball. Period.

It is not inconceivable that a mega splash hire of a coach (an NBA legend or some KU or Duke or Tarheels or something of that level) could be magnetic enough to pull in the top ten caliber players quickly enough but it's not going to happen. The only way possible for Nebraska to seriously become nationally relevant in BB would be for home grown, local superstar to join the team. The next Larry Bird or Jordon or Kareem or James has got to grow up on the streets of Lincoln or Omaha or otherwise have some deep ties or connections. About the same chances as winning the lottery I'd say.

Another poster that's fine with losing every year. Is it fun to watch them lose more then they win ?? Please explain

Fun fact: Miles has the worst winning percentage among the last 6 Nebrasketball coaches, going all the way back to Jerry Bush in the 1950s:

Joe Cipriano: .564

Moe Iba: .599

Danny Nee: .572

Barry Collier: .494

Doc Sadler: .532

Tim Miles: .481

• Fire 2

We need to put our eggs back in the football basket as football ticket sales, etc are 'ify' enough already. No need to split or divide the limited fan base anymore. In my view, we didn't need the new arena for the same basic reasons. A new arena is not going to make a difference and after this long it is not making any difference. We are still mediocre or less in men's basketball. Period.

I don't get this part of your post. Are you thinking that by having a popular basketball team will pull away from ticket sales from the football team? If you are I highly doubt that. I know a lot of people that would readily get season tickets for both if both were mediocre at best and already do.

I don't think anyone is expecting Nebraska basketball to win the NCAA tourney, it would just be nice if we were routinely in the mid-to upper tier of the Big 10 Conference and make the tourney every 3-4 years and heck even win a tourney game for once. If we could work our way to where McDermott has taken Creighton everyone would be very happy.

A week ago, I wasn’t sure firing Miles was a political option, even if Eichorst wanted to. The backlash would’ve been too heavy. Now I think Eichorst is free to go either way. Thursday felt like the night when public opinion shifted from pro-Miles to anti-Miles, or at least 50-50. It reminded me of the Nebraska-Minnesota football game in 2014 — the last straw for Bo Pelini.

Sunday night at Pinnacle Bank Arena — even if he wins — might be the last time Miles coaches a game in Lincoln. I think the 15,000 fans in the seats will be revved up. It’s the five on the floor I’m not so sure about.

OWH