Tim Miles Has Improved Huskers, Admin Should Look At Itself Before Denying Him Sixth Year (Barfknecht)

Mavric, when is the last time you posted something that put any coach at Nebraska under a positive light? It just feels like you are against every coach at Nebraska right now.

That's because you choose to ignore my other posts.

if you could list 2 examples that would make some of us happy!!!

No it won't.

What's wrong couldn't find 2. It would actually for a few minutes...

• Fire 2

Mavric, when is the last time you posted something that put any coach at Nebraska under a positive light? It just feels like you are against every coach at Nebraska right now.

No it won't.

That's what I mean. I could post a bunch but you'll just shrug them off and go back to your belief that I only post negative comments and go out of my way to be negative.

• Fire 1

No it won't.

That's what I mean. I could post a bunch but you'll just shrug them off and go back to your belief that I only post negative comments and go out of my way to be negative.

I don't think you go out of your way to be negative. I think it just comes natural to you. ;) You do post a lot of Severe stuff, but I think he is a lot like you and really into the statistical end of it. I am nore of an eye test guy. You can see that NU doesn't shoot the 3 or defend it all that well, I don't need a stat to tell me that. They do turn the ball over too much, but it often happens in bunches. They have really bad games and then better games, it is pretty inconsitant.

I don't think you go out of your way to be negative. I think it just comes natural to you.

Tell you what. You start a thread - not here, we've already cluttered this one enough - with a post where you were critical of one of our coaches. I'll respond with I post where I was positive. We'll see who runs out of material first.

I don't think you go out of your way to be negative. I think it just comes natural to you.

Tell you what. You start a thread - not here, we've already cluttered this one enough - with a post where you were critical of one of our coaches. I'll respond with I post where I was positive. We'll see who runs out of material first.

Well that touched a nerve. It was half in jest didn't you see my smirking smiley guy?

You say the results are the same, yes they are I guess. But as a fan I feel a lot better about this team than I did last year. They just look better. They aren't getting blown out. They are playing together. Guys have improved from the start of the year to the end. Roby, Jordy, and the Aussie all look better than they did at the beginning of the year.

It is partly the BIG being down some, but it also is the team. I don't go into a game and think they have no chance of winning the game this year like I have in the past. They could win all four of there final games this year, they probably won't but it would not be a huge surprise in my mind if they did. I still think they go 2-2 the rest of the way and win at least 1 in the tourney.

Well that touched a nerve. It was half in jest didn't you see my smirking smiley guy?

You say the results are the same, yes they are I guess. But as a fan I feel a lot better about this team than I did last year. They just look better. They aren't getting blown out. They are playing together. Guys have improved from the start of the year to the end. Roby, Jordy, and the Aussie all look better than they did at the beginning of the year.

It is partly the BIG being down some, but it also is the team. I don't go into a game and think they have no chance of winning the game this year like I have in the past. They could win all four of there final games this year, they probably won't but it would not be a huge surprise in my mind if they did. I still think they go 2-2 the rest of the way and win at least 1 in the tourney.

Sorry, I didn't pay close enough attention. I thought it was still GBRFAN replying to me. You guys need to change your avatars. ;)

I'm not saying there aren't any signs of progress. I really like Watson and Morrow and Jacobson is more of a factor that I gave him credit for. And the Freshmen look to have promise though they've got a ways to go. We have pretty good talent 1-3 and potential at the 4-5 spots. But the talk of having the most talent we've ever had is laughable at this point. Best talent 1-3 that we've had in 20 years. But not overall. Not yet.

I give Miles credit for putting together a pretty good defensive team considering that talent and personnel situation. And he did well to recruit two beasts on the boards in Morrow and Jacobson. But he doen't know how to put together an offense to save his life. That's why it always seems like Petteway/Shields/White/Webster are forcing things. His offense only works well for guys that can create their own shot. Those guys score well but also end up forcing a lot of things because the guys who can't create their own shot leave it up to the guys who can to bail them out at the end of the shot clock. Miles desperately needs an assistant who can bring some semblance of an offense. Because other than having top shelf individual offensive talent at every spot on the floor, his offenses are always going to struggle. Perhaps he can overcome that. But it's not looking promising as we near the end of year five.

• Fire 1

Sorry, I didn't pay close enough attention. I thought it was still GBRFAN replying to me. You guys need to change your avatars. ;)

I'm not saying there aren't any signs of progress. I really like Watson and Morrow and Jacobson is more of a factor that I gave him credit for. And the Freshmen look to have promise though they've got a ways to go. We have pretty good talent 1-3 and potential at the 4-5 spots. But the talk of having the most talent we've ever had is laughable at this point. Best talent 1-3 that we've had in 20 years. But not overall. Not yet.

I give Miles credit for putting together a pretty good defensive team considering that talent and personnel situation. And he did well to recruit two beasts on the boards in Morrow and Jacobson. But he doen't know how to put together an offense to save his life. That's why it always seems like Petteway/Shields/White/Webster are forcing things. His offense only works well for guys that can create their own shot. Those guys score well but also end up forcing a lot of things because the guys who can't create their own shot leave it up to the guys who can to bail them out at the end of the shot clock. Miles desperately needs an assistant who can bring some semblance of an offense. Because other than having top shelf individual offensive talent at every spot on the floor, his offenses are always going to struggle. Perhaps he can overcome that. But it's not looking promising as we near the end of year five.

And we've come to the crux of the argument. Add to the fact that he can't coach end-of-game situations.

I don't know if you are right or wrong on the offensive stuff. I have actually started watching quite a bit of college basketball over the last couple of years. But I do know pretty much every team that is worth its salt has at least a couple of guys that can create their own shot, that is the way I always see basketball being. We just don't have a lot gus that shoot real well all the time.

I like the pick and roll stuff they are starting to work with Jordy, he just has to learn to keep the ball higher and finsh. He gets striped to easily. He misses too many bunnies. I think they are better at getting Jack M an open shot, and they need to get Jacobson taking more shots. He really has a nice 12-14 foot jumper. He takes and makes 1 or 2 a game, they need to get him shooting that more like 5-6x a game.

So you aren't the first person to say they need to run more offense and not just a 4 and 1 weave.

I don't know if you are right or wrong on the offensive stuff. I have actually started watching quite a bit of college basketball over the last couple of years. But I do know pretty much every team that is worth its salt has at least a couple of guys that can create their own shot, that is the way I always see basketball being. We just don't have a lot gus that shoot real well all the time.

I like the pick and roll stuff they are starting to work with Jordy, he just has to learn to keep the ball higher and finsh. He gets striped to easily. He misses too many bunnies. I think they are better at getting Jack M an open shot, and they need to get Jacobson taking more shots. He really has a nice 12-14 foot jumper. He takes and makes 1 or 2 a game, they need to get him shooting that more like 5-6x a game.

So you aren't the first person to say they need to run more offense and not just a 4 and 1 weave.

I don't watch a lot of college basketball other than the Huskers. But to some extent, that is how basketball is now-a-days. And you absolutely have to have at least a couple guys that can create their own shot. But we run almost nothing off-ball to get guys open. It's almost entirely pick-and-roll or an individual play. And - like I said - for the couple guys who can create their own shot, that's great. And we get some other guys looks going to the rack off the pick and roll.

But it should be pretty obvious by now that we can't only have that. We're almost entirely dependent on shooting the ball well to win. To some extent, everyone is that way - you have a better chance to win when you shoot well. But we're not a great shooting team. So we kind of have to be on an exceptional (out of the ordinary) night to win rather than a run-of-the-mill night otherwise we're in trouble. We have too many guys that are below-average offensively - Morrow, Jacobson, Jordy (although he's showing signs) - to have to win like that. They get most of their points off of offensive rebounds and easy pick-and-roll looks. Which is great for them but a lot of the time they're doing nothing in the offense. That's why we go through long scoring droughts almost every game. We're making it very hard on ourselves because we don't have much of anything off-ball to try to get a quick pass for an open shot. It's all on-ball where the defense in concentrated.

Illustrating how shooting-dependent we are. This is quite a disparity.

• Fire 1

The "I feel better about this team" line is interesting. I don't think they look all that bad but the stats seem to show that they are actually pretty horrible.

Another thing to remember is how horrible the Big Ten is this year.

OSU: Worst Matta team in 10 years

MSU: Worst Izzo team in 19 years

Illinois: 2nd worst team in the last 10 years

Indiana: Worst team since Creans first/second year

And remember that Webster and his ability to get to the rim and his points will be gone.

I know that a lot of you love Jordy but last game showed just how far away he really is from being consistent.

• Fire 2

I don't watch a lot of college basketball other than the Huskers. But to some extent, that is how basketball is now-a-days. And you absolutely have to have at least a couple guys that can create their own shot. But we run almost nothing off-ball to get guys open. It's almost entirely pick-and-roll or an individual play. And - like I said - for the couple guys who can create their own shot, that's great. And we get some other guys looks going to the rack off the pick and roll.

But it should be pretty obvious by now that we can't only have that. We're almost entirely dependent on shooting the ball well to win. To some extent, everyone is that way - you have a better chance to win when you shoot well. But we're not a great shooting team. So we kind of have to be on an exceptional (out of the ordinary) night to win rather than a run-of-the-mill night otherwise we're in trouble. We have too many guys that are below-average offensively - Morrow, Jacobson, Jordy (although he's showing signs) - to have to win like that. They get most of their points off of offensive rebounds and easy pick-and-roll looks. Which is great for them but a lot of the time they're doing nothing in the offense. That's why we go through long scoring droughts almost every game. We're making it very hard on ourselves because we don't have much of anything off-ball to try to get a quick pass for an open shot. It's all on-ball where the defense in concentrated.

Illustrating how shooting-dependent we are. This is quite a disparity.

I guess I am not sure why that is surprising to you. We don't have deadly 3 pt shooters. Webster is streaky, McVeigh has been doing better though. Watson is probably the most consistant. They are good ball players, but these guys weren't getting offers from Duke, NC, and Kentucky. As I said I don't coach Bball I know some things, but I do know it works better when you got guys that can knock down shots consistantly. Wisconsin doesn't look real good when their outside guys are not hitting 3's, Happ just gets doubled and shut down.