Spring Practice - Offensive Line

You presented a rankings argument, not specific stats surrounding a player. Nebraska went from being the 76th ranked passing team to the 33rd ranked passing team after Bo left.

Now, explain to me why you can also diminish more passing yards 'purely from more attempts' in 2015 while seemingly ignoring that we had more rushing yards in 2014 while having more rushing attempts. You do see the obtuse nature of that argument, yes?

*facepalm* Alright, fine, how about the bigger picture on offense? #14 scoring offense in 2014, #43 scoring offense in 2015, #79 scoring offense in 2016. Any volunteers to put a nice sunshine and roses spin on that?

If you want to look at those stats in a vacuum then yes, Nebraska's offense has gotten worse.

Here's another vacuum sealed stat: Nebraska finished 2016 with the 19th ranked total defense. The last time they were anywhere close to that number? 2010 when they were ranked 23rd.

Yup, an example of how a blanket stat doesn't mean much, which is why I like the S&P+ system. Our defense was mostly a mirage covered up by bad offenses.

Agreed - and it shows how blanket stats can be manipulated to create a very basic, often misleading, analysis.

To counter-argue myself, the defense's s&p+ rating is good for 33rd in country. Still good, but quite a difference from just looking at our total defense.

• 2 weeks later...

HuskermanMike said: For year one it does, but last year these players would have played at Nebraska for two full seasons. Some of those players had played as long as if not longer for Mike than Bo in year two. So if they were Bo guys, they would have left.

Except, Mike Riley redshirted his first two classes and how many of them saw the field the last two years? None? 1-2 at max?

Therefore, the last two years, the OL which played the majority of the snaps for Mike Riley, were in fact Pelini recruits.

They were recruited by Pelini, brought in, experienced the culture of laziness, liked it, and have carried that attitude forward to today.

So when Nick Gates says what he did in the article cited above, it makes logical sense that a LOT of our OL woes, the last two years, was due mostly to guys on the OL not really giving a ____.

But, I'm trying to be positive and wiping the OL slate clean. This is Mike Riley's 3rd year and in terms of the OL...this year's line is his. So any poor play, the focus will be on Riley and Cavanaugh.

So, Pelini OL recruits did ok enough for us to have a good offense when Bo was here, but when he left, they got lazy? Just let me know where we're moving the goalposts to, so I can keep up.

Maybe, they just weren't that good? Or maybe, Cav wasn't doing something right? But "lazy" seems like an easy copout excuse.

How is "lazy" a cop-out excuse when Nick Gates said in an article they were lazy?

And you got 5 "+1's" for that? Seriously?

Players come out in the media, admit the were often lazy, didn't play as hard as they could have, and you're just going brush that aside, as if that type of attitude has no impact on how the team plays or the record they have at the end of the season?