Spring Practice - Offensive Line

Funny how 'lazy Bo players' produced the #19 rushing offense in the country in Bo's last year, but could only manage #73 under Riley, ain't it Chimi? (Oh, I'm sure that was all Ameer, and not the guys who had to clear a path for him. Nevermind that it continued to go downhill from 2015 to 2016 with basically the same players...)

Well they had one RB that left a lot of yards on the field because he couldn't help but get tackled by his shoestrings and had trouble reading blocks.

In my opinion, aside from Gates and Farmer, it should be a free-for-all battle. I like Foster, but he's played 4 more games the Boe Wilson and the others that haven't started either.

Wilson replaced Farmer for much of the spring game. At first I assumed Farmer was dinged up, but then I saw him in with the 2nd team.

Funny how 'lazy Bo players' produced the #19 rushing offense in the country in Bo's last year, but could only manage #73 under Riley, ain't it Chimi? (Oh, I'm sure that was all Ameer, and not the guys who had to clear a path for him. Nevermind that it continued to go downhill from 2015 to 2016 with basically the same players...)

You are talking about 2 different schemes that produced 2 different results.

Players are more likely to be lazy in practice then they are in games. I witnessed first hand a number of players being lazy during S&C sessions. Dobson didn't hold them accountable and Bo didn't really give a sh#t.

Players are more likely to be lazy in practice then they are in games. I witnessed first hand a number of players being lazy during S&C sessions. Dobson didn't hold them accountable and Bo didn't really give a sh#t.

Sort of. I say they were plenty lazy in games as well.

When Bo was still here, we were wondering why we always lost four games.

Looking back on it, how many times under the former coach did the team basically only play 2 two quarters of even decent football?

Often Nebraska had to play furiously in the 4th Q just to try and win. They'd spend usually the 2nd and 3rd Q just half-assing it.

It's an ugly truth that some Nebraska fans can't won't admit: Nebraska's players under Bo were lazy, had no pride, and really didn't give a damn. All they cared about was getting "9 wins" and after that, they didn't care if they lost or how badly they lost.

They get smashed by Wisconsin and 70 points hung on them, they'd still be on the sideline laughing, yucking it up...they didn't care.

I'm hoping that in Mike Riley's 3rd year that lazy attitude is in the past, but only time will tell.

Which side are you even trying to argue? :blink: "Dobson didn't hold them accountable and Bo didn't really give a sh#t"? So you're saying that Riley & co 'fixing' the problem is what made it nosedive? And don't feed me some BS about different schemes when Riley himself said he wanted to be a top 3 rushing team - he sure as hell ain't trending in the right direction for that!

• Fire 1

Which side are you even trying to argue? :blink: "Dobson didn't hold them accountable and Bo didn't really give a sh#t"? So you're saying that Riley & co 'fixing' the problem is what made it nosedive? And don't feed me some BS about different schemes when Riley himself said he wanted to be in the top 3 in rushing, but sure as hell ain't trending in the right direction for that!

Come on Toe, you're way smarter than this.

I'm not sure when exactly, possibly after "the tape" was leaked, it (in hindsight) was obvious that Bo no longer wanted to be at Nebraska.

I mean short of going out and committing an armed robbery, Bo did everything he could to get fired.

The team's work ethic eroded, players were lazy, the S&C staff let them be lazy, and apathy set in.

We're in the midst of trying to dig ourselves out of that hole. Not to mention Bo's gawd awful recruiting which resulted in no depth across at least half the roster: QB, OL, TE, DL, LB.

Not that I'm defending the 'lazy Bo player' assertion, but the program ran very different schemes in 2014 compared to 2015. If you're going to criticize the rushing, then you should praise the passing game turnaround in 2015.
As for Ameer, he certainly doesn't deserve all the credit for the #19 ranked rushing offense, but he played behind lines that never once produced an All-American, had one first team all conference player (2012) and had very little NFL caliber talent.

If you're going to criticize the rushing, then you should praise the passing game turnaround in 2015.

What turnaround?! Armstrong went from being a 53.3% completions/12 int/24 TD/133.04 QB efficiency rating. passer in 2014 to 55%/16 int/22 TD/128.64 effic in 2015. Yeah, he had about 300 more passing yards, but statistically that's almost purely from more attempts, and it came at the expense of about 300 rushing yards. He had slightly fewer picks in his senior season, but the rest of his stats went downhill in 2016, completing a career-worst 51.4% and only 14 TDs. Tommy left Nebraska as pretty much the same YOLO bomber that couldn't complete a screen to save his life that he was the day he set foot on campus, and in the process he lost half of his rushing.

• Fire 2

If you're going to criticize the rushing, then you should praise the passing game turnaround in 2015.

What turnaround?! Armstrong went from being a 53.3% completions/12 int/24 TD/133.04 QB efficiency rating. passer in 2014 to 55%/16 int/22 TD/128.64 effic in 2015. Yeah, he had about 300 more passing yards, but statistically that's almost purely from more attempts, and it came at the expense of about 300 rushing yards.

You presented a rankings argument, not specific stats surrounding a player. Nebraska went from being the 76th ranked passing team to the 33rd ranked passing team after Bo left.

Now, explain to me why you can also diminish more passing yards 'purely from more attempts' in 2015 while seemingly ignoring that we had more rushing yards in 2014 while having more rushing attempts. You do see the obtuse nature of that argument, yes?

• Fire 3

What turnaround?! Armstrong went from being a 53.3% completions/12 int/24 TD/133.04 QB efficiency rating. passer in 2014 to 55%/16 int/22 TD/128.64 effic in 2015. Yeah, he had about 300 more passing yards, but statistically that's almost purely from more attempts, and it came at the expense of about 300 rushing yards.

You presented a rankings argument, not specific stats surrounding a player. Nebraska went from being the 76th ranked passing team to the 33rd ranked passing team after Bo left.

Now, explain to me why you can also diminish more passing yards 'purely from more attempts' in 2015 while seemingly ignoring that we had more rushing yards in 2014 while having more rushing attempts. You do see the obtuse nature of that argument, yes?

Yes, I see it plain as day. Good job shining the light on this poor excuse of an argument. :D

• Fire 1

*facepalm* Alright, fine, how about the bigger picture on offense? #14 scoring offense in 2014, #43 scoring offense in 2015, #79 scoring offense in 2016. Any volunteers to put a nice sunshine and roses spin on that?

*facepalm* Alright, fine, how about the bigger picture on offense? #14 scoring offense in 2014, #43 scoring offense in 2015, #79 scoring offense in 2016. Any volunteers to put a nice sunshine and roses spin on that?

If you want to look at those stats in a vacuum then yes, Nebraska's offense has gotten worse.

Here's another vacuum sealed stat: Nebraska finished 2016 with the 19th ranked total defense. The last time they were anywhere close to that number? 2010 when they were ranked 23rd.

• Fire 1

If you want to look at those stats in a vacuum then yes, Nebraska's offense has gotten worse.

Here's another vacuum sealed stat: Nebraska finished 2016 with the 19th ranked total defense. The last time they were anywhere close to that number? 2010 when they were ranked 23rd.

Yup, an example of how a blanket stat doesn't mean much, which is why I like the S&P+ system. Our defense was mostly a mirage covered up by bad offenses.

• Fire 1