Spring Practice - Offensive Line

Don't think it's Pelini-itis. It would help if we knew who was complaining but if it was the younger guys those are Cav's guys

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't really matter who is doing "the complaining."

And I suppose, to be fair, I should understand the context of the "complaining" but based on what Nick Gates said, it seems to revolve around the fact that the OL doesn't want to do the extra work.

It seems they want to do just enough to get by. Which is, in essence, the basis of "Pelini-itis."

All these guys have played for the current staff longer than they were with Bo. So, your theory doesn't hold water.

Hard work is taught by parents, not by a coach in 2 years. If you arent a hard worker at 18, i doubt you will all of a sudden be one at 20. Bo recruited guys who werent hard workers, simple as that. Cav is stuck with these guys, he cant just recruit 5 guys and start them all their freshman year. You cant coach attitude or hard work, that has to already be in you.

Can you objectively provide proof?

• Fire 2

Don't think it's Pelini-itis. It would help if we knew who was complaining but if it was the younger guys those are Cav's guys

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't really matter who is doing "the complaining."

And I suppose, to be fair, I should understand the context of the "complaining" but based on what Nick Gates said, it seems to revolve around the fact that the OL doesn't want to do the extra work.

It seems they want to do just enough to get by. Which is, in essence, the basis of "Pelini-itis."

All these guys have played for the current staff longer than they were with Bo. So, your theory doesn't hold water.

Not only that, but suggesting it is Pelini's fault almost three years later for poor line play is fairly disingenuous.

It's an excuse. I can kind of buy year one issues. Year 2 for the older guys, sure, ok, if that's your crutch. But year 3? No way. As a coach, you either replaced guys who didn't fit what you wanted, or they do fit your criteria.

The older guys in the program now have been through 3 springs and 2 full seasons with this staff. The Seniors and RsJr's may not be Riley recruits, but they've been with him longer than they were with Bo.

Hard work is taught by parents, not by a coach in 2 years. If you arent a hard worker at 18, i doubt you will all of a sudden be one at 20. Bo recruited guys who werent hard workers, simple as that. Cav is stuck with these guys, he cant just recruit 5 guys and start them all their freshman year. You cant coach attitude or hard work, that has to already be in you.

Can you objectively provide proof?

So not only were the Bo players toxic, they were also lazy? Interesting....

• Fire 2

News flash: this line didn't play for Pelini. There's a grand total of one guy on this line that played in a game under Bo. If Cavanaugh and Riley haven't taken control of this group and coached them up, well...

Clearly I was referring to the OL the last two years, which were ALL guys who were recruited by the former staff.

I think David Knevel is the last OL Pelini recruit although won't entirely swear to it.

I was talking about the OL the last two seasons. So not only does my "theory" hold water, it's a container the size of Jupiter.

• Fire 1

I was talking about the OL the last two seasons. So not only does my "theory" hold water, it's a container the size of Jupiter.

For year one it does, but last year these players would have played at Nebraska for two full seasons. Some of those players had played as long as if not longer for Mike than Bo in year two. So if they were Bo guys, they would have left.

• Fire 1

HuskermanMike said: For year one it does, but last year these players would have played at Nebraska for two full seasons. Some of those players had played as long as if not longer for Mike than Bo in year two. So if they were Bo guys, they would have left.

Except, Mike Riley redshirted his first two classes and how many of them saw the field the last two years? None? 1-2 at max?

Therefore, the last two years, the OL which played the majority of the snaps for Mike Riley, were in fact Pelini recruits.

They were recruited by Pelini, brought in, experienced the culture of laziness, liked it, and have carried that attitude forward to today.

So when Nick Gates says what he did in the article cited above, it makes logical sense that a LOT of our OL woes, the last two years, was due mostly to guys on the OL not really giving a ____.

But, I'm trying to be positive and wiping the OL slate clean. This is Mike Riley's 3rd year and in terms of the OL...this year's line is his. So any poor play, the focus will be on Riley and Cavanaugh.

HuskermanMike said: For year one it does, but last year these players would have played at Nebraska for two full seasons. Some of those players had played as long as if not longer for Mike than Bo in year two. So if they were Bo guys, they would have left.

Except, Mike Riley redshirted his first two classes and how many of them saw the field the last two years? None? 1-2 at max?

Therefore, the last two years, the OL which played the majority of the snaps for Mike Riley, were in fact Pelini recruits.

They were recruited by Pelini, brought in, experienced the culture of laziness, liked it, and have carried that attitude forward to today.

So when Nick Gates says what he did in the article cited above, it makes logical sense that a LOT of our OL woes, the last two years, was due mostly to guys on the OL not really giving a ____.

But, I'm trying to be positive and wiping the OL slate clean. This is Mike Riley's 3rd year and in terms of the OL...this year's line is his. So any poor play, the focus will be on Riley and Cavanaugh.

If they are so lazy, why are they playing? The one time the line complained was during finals week because these guys were exhausted from studying and going to practice. They had a lot to worry about with getting good grades and Gates in particular had to worry about a top DE rushing him on every down.

This is a big year for Cav and he needs to get the line to play much better. The five guys on the field will be watched closely by a lot of the fans because if our o-line can't produce, it might be another 9 win season.

• Fire 2

According to the player profiles, there is a mass of talent to work with (mostly developing or waiting in the wings).

Inside of Cav's cookie jar:

Nick Gates - JR (23 starts)

Gates was regarded as the top player in Nevada and one of the top 25 offensive tackles in the country.

Tanner Farmer - JR (11 starts)

Participated in the Under Armour All-American game. Rivals.com listed Farmer as the No. 4 offensive guard prospect in the country and the 82nd-ranked 2014 recruit overall.

David Knevel - SR (10 starts)

Knevel was regarded as the top overall prospect in Canada and ranked among the top 250 overall prospects by 247 Sports, which listed him among the top 20 offensive tackles.

Cole Conrad - JR (5 starts)

Conrad joined the NU program as a walk-on and made his first career start at Ohio State. He earned first-team Class C-2 all-state honors as an offensive lineman from the Associated Press, Omaha World-Herald and Lincoln Journal Star as a senior.

Jerald Foster - JR (4 stsarts)

Foster was rated as the top prospect in the state of Nebraska by Rivals.com, and among the nation’s top 25 guards.

Michael Decker - SO

Decker was ranked among the top 50 offensive guards in the country by several outlets, while Scout listed him as the nation’s No. 7 center prospect.

John Raridon - RFR

Raridon participated in the Army All-American Game and was a consensus choice as one of the top 10 offensive guards in the nation, including No. 2 by Scout.com.

Boe Wilson - RFR

Wilson participated in the Under Armour All-American game and was ranked among the top 10 offensive guards in the country by both Scout.com and ESPN.

John Farniok - RFR

Farniok played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and was ranked as the No. 129 overall prospect by 247 Sports and checked in at No. 257 in the ESPN300. Farniok was a consensus pick as one of the top 25 offensive tackles in the country.

Brian Brokop - RFR

Brokop was a consensus choice as one of the top 10 prospects in llinois. He was ranked among the top 25 offensive guards in the country by both Scout.com and Rivals.com.

Christian Gaylord - SO

Gaylord was ranked as the top prospect in Kansas by 247Sports and the No. 2 player in the state by Rivals.com. He was regarded as one of the top 50 offensive tackles in the country by all major recruiting services.

Jalin Barnett - SO

Barnett was ranked as the No. 4 offensive guard in the country by ESPN and was also among the top 15 offensive guards by 247Sports and Scout.

Player profiles from Huskers.com (http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?spid=22&spsid=4)

In my opinion, aside from Gates and Farmer, it should be a free-for-all battle. I like Foster, but he's played 4 more games the Boe Wilson and the others that haven't started either.

• Fire 2

According to the player profiles, there is a mass of talent to work with (mostly developing or waiting in the wings).

Gates was regarded as the top player in Nevada and one of the top 25 offensive tackles in the country.

Participated in the Under Armour All-American game. Rivals.com listed Farmer as the No. 4 offensive guard prospect in the country and the 82nd-ranked 2014 recruit overall.

Knevel was regarded as the top overall prospect in Canada and ranked among the top 250 overall prospects by 247 Sports, which listed him among the top 20 offensive tackles.

Conrad joined the NU program as a walk-on and made his first career start at Ohio State. He earned first-team Class C-2 all-state honors as an offensive lineman from the Associated Press, Omaha World-Herald and Lincoln Journal Star as a senior.

Foster was rated as the top prospect in the state of Nebraska by Rivals.com, and among the nation’s top 25 guards.

Michael Decker - SO

Decker was ranked among the top 50 offensive guards in the country by several outlets, while Scout listed him as the nation’s No. 7 center prospect.

John Raridon - RFR

Raridon participated in the Army All-American Game and was a consensus choice as one of the top 10 offensive guards in the nation, including No. 2 by Scout.com.

Boe Wilson - RFR

Wilson participated in the Under Armour All-American game and was ranked among the top 10 offensive guards in the country by both Scout.com and ESPN.

John Farniok - RFR

Farniok played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and was ranked as the No. 129 overall prospect by 247 Sports and checked in at No. 257 in the ESPN300. Farniok was a consensus pick as one of the top 25 offensive tackles in the country.

Brian Brokop - RFR

Brokop was a consensus choice as one of the top 10 prospects in llinois. He was ranked among the top 25 offensive guards in the country by both Scout.com and Rivals.com.

Christian Gaylord - SO

Gaylord was ranked as the top prospect in Kansas by 247Sports and the No. 2 player in the state by Rivals.com. He was regarded as one of the top 50 offensive tackles in the country by all major recruiting services.

Jalin Barnett - SO

Barnett was ranked as the No. 4 offensive guard in the country by ESPN and was also among the top 15 offensive guards by 247Sports and Scout.

Player profiles from Huskers.com (http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?spid=22&spsid=4)

In my opinion, aside from Gates and Farmer, it should be a free-for-all battle. I like Foster, but he's played 4 more games the Boe Wilson and the others that haven't started either.

DJ Foster will play, he is one of if not the best run blocker on the team. The injury last year held him back from having more starts. so lets hope he stays healthy and the line gels well together.

At the risk of...

dedhoarse

The 2017 Nebraska football team will go as far as the OL is willing to take them.

Who ever plays at QB, RB, TE, WR, FB...they're all going to play well. The defense, under Diaco, is more than likely going to play well.

Cavanaugh, and the OL, remains the unknown in this equation.

Because we don't have Tommy Armstrong anymore* and Tanner Lee, more often than not, will not be able to escape any type of pressure (at least not compared to TA)...so the OL has got to come through.

* I will miss Tommy Armstrong's: 1) elusiveness, 2) ability to escape pressure, and 3) being able to tuck the ball and run.

What I won't miss is his erratic passing or his expletive it, ima yolo this play with a 40 yard bomb down the field into double coverage.

Foster was rated as the top prospect in the state of Nebraska by Rivals.com, and among the nations top 25 guards.

Michael Decker - SO

Decker was ranked among the top 50 offensive guards in the country by several outlets, while Scout listed him as the nations No. 7 center prospect.

John Raridon - RFR

Boe Wilson - RFR

John Farniok - RFR

Brian Brokop - RFR

Christian Gaylord - SO

Jalin Barnett - SO

DJ Foster will play, he is one of if not the best run blocker on the team. The injury last year held him back from having more starts. so lets hope he stays healthy and the line gels well together.

He's played 4 games!!! That's a small sample size for being "the best run blocker"

Yes I do hope for him to stay healthy. He's Gate's buddy and Cav likes him. But he still has much to prove

One of the biggest things a coach (or any sort of leader) needs to be able to do is take control. You might have good players and be a good coach in every other respect, but if you can't be The Man in the eyes of the team, it's not gonna be pretty. Frankly, Turner Gill at KU is a good example of this: good guy, good coach, but he never really took control of his players and he was rightly fired for it. (Granted, KU is a good place to go if you want your career to die, but still.)

So, Pelini OL recruits did ok enough for us to have a good offense when Bo was here, but when he left, they got lazy? Just let me know where we're moving the goalposts to, so I can keep up.

Maybe, they just weren't that good? Or maybe, Cav wasn't doing something right? But "lazy" seems like an easy copout excuse.

• Fire 4

Funny how 'lazy Bo players' produced the #19 rushing offense in the country in Bo's last year, but could only manage #73 under Riley, ain't it Chimi? (Oh, I'm sure that was all Ameer, and not the guys who had to clear a path for him. Nevermind that it continued to go downhill from 2015 to 2016 with basically the same players...)

• Fire 3