Leon Jackson: Comments uncalled for

Leon Jackson: Comments uncalled for

Published Monday, May 8th, 2006

In response to the comments made by Steve Graff on April 16, "Jackson Exits Nebraska Football Program." I am surprised and disappointed at the negative comments made by Coach Steve Graff. I am in contact with my son Leon daily and he was stunned as well.

Thanks, Coach Graff! What do you say about other former Pasco athletes that have also looked up to you. I don't seem to recall any unhappy attitudes with Leon's performance when he helped win the state title. Why diminish his character?

Since Graff is a Pasco educator and role model I would expect a simple "no comment" instead of these destructive comments. What right does he have to comment when he has never talked to Leon.

Let me inform you of how proud I am of my son Leon. He is one of the most private, humble, honorable and caring individuals anyone would want to get to know. He grew up and experienced life's ups and downs like anyone else; yet you say he is not mentally tough? You don't know what all he has experienced throughout his 19 years so far.

The only person with integrity in this situation seems to be Leon for not making any comments! Please, unless you have something positive to say about him do not make any more comments to the press. I and our family consider them an insult!

DEBORAH WRIGHT, Proud Mother of Leon Jackson and proud Pasco High Alumni

Some kids take tough love to get through to them. This may just be that. If his comments made Leon come back great, but will he stay is the question. I have been on the Leon bandwagon since I first saw his recruiting videos. But he needs to man up and do what he committed to do. Some times it takes a smack in the mouth to understand what is gong on.

Having his mommy make comments indicates to me what the coach says is true. We shall see.

I am sick of all this PC BS. These kids come here to play football, not to be coddled around. Do what you said you would do. If it isn't good enough be man enough to admit it and try harder or move on. Enough theatrics for me.

Both parties are right. He probably shouldn't have said those things but is he really wrong?

I'd have to agree. His coach didn't need to make those comments, but maybe he was still trying to coach Leon and essentially kick him in the ass for wanting to leave what the coach feels is a golden opportunity. Perhaps LJack does need to get mentally tougher. Who knows, it didn't need to be said through the media though.

I thinks it's something that anyone would do for a family member, you just don't want those kinds of things said to the public. As for the coach, for all we know maybe he intended to tell Leon these things on the phone but since he didn't answer any calls, this was the only way to get to him. Perhaps the coach knew just how to get to Leon and it worked.

I thinks it's something that anyone would do for a family member, you just don't want those kinds of things said to the public.  As for the coach, for all we know maybe he intended to tell Leon these things on the phone but since he didn't answer any calls, this was the only way to get to him.  Perhaps the coach knew just how to get to Leon and it worked.

if i was the coach, i would have seen about getting the kid's cell number or something.

but truth be told, i'm thinking this is pretty much what leon's own father told him.

"suck it up, son: you're good but you're not the only kid with talent. you want to be number one, work for it. prove you're the best by being the best. the rest will come together on its own."

that's the message that should have been sent in an email, not the Jerkwater Flatts Dispatch of West Texas.