Cowherd Giving NU love...

Somehow they typically play way above their talent level.

They've copied the historic Nebraska model in a lot of ways - rely on good defense and offensive lines. They have a really good system that plays to their talent strengths. The biggest difference is Wisconsin has never come close to consistently hauling in the offensive playmakers Nebraska used to be able to.

This has to be due to their academic entrance numbers. like Stanford, I've always thought that smarter athletes play sounder football. I have no way of justifying that though.

Yeah, Luck and McCafferey got by on brains. :lol:

There is zero chance that Riley's on the hot seat after a 10-3 season no matter what. There's even less chance that Eichorst would somehow be on the hot seat.

If it's a 10-3 season with losses to OSU, UW, and Iowa, that means there's a decent chance we're playing in a january bowl against a ranked opponent and win it, in addition to wins over a possibly much improved Oregon team, and a (as of now) top ranked Penn State team.

Agreed. No way that type of season puts Riley on a "scorching" hot seat.

After the type of prognostication going on nationally about the Huskers, I think most fans would happy with the outcome described by Landlord.

At what year do we need to win the west then? Just keep going 10-3 and losing to our biggest west competition and Riley continues to be our coach?

There is such an easy answer to this question. "At what year" is the year that all of the players are players that he recruited. When the quarterbacks (and of course other players) he recruited have played their entire careers here, if we haven't won at least the Big Ten West, he will be on the hot seat.

It doesn't take that long to be successful.

On his show today. Talking about the coaches poll and was talking about how it's predominantly traditional powers in the top 10. So he said he went back and looked at the '87, '97, and '07 preseason coaches polls.

He said they were virtually the same except that Notre Dame and Nebraska were absent in this years poll compared to the past polls. Then for the 2nd time in a week or so he starts in on Tanner Lee.

"I have Nebraska winning 9 games. Nebraska has a quarterback nobody has heard of named Tanner Lee, who will end up being the best college football player no one is talking about in preseason. Nebraska is going to be pretty good this year, they have a transfer quarterback named Tanner Lee who is SPECIAL. (his emphasis) He is a playmaker at quarterback. Mike Riley is a great quarterback coach."

I've never heard Cowherd mention Nebraska more than once ever in a single year for college football. He's brought them up TWICE in 2 weeks. High praise from a guy who normally is ripping NU for its geographical location in regard to recruiting.

May be a better year than most people expect!

cow-turd is a flake...........he's on an emotional roller coaster from one week to the next..........his opinions sell air time.