Cowherd Giving NU love...

Will Jim Harbaugh be on the hot seat if Michigan finishes in the top 10 for the third year in a row, but gets third in the East again?

They're paying him like eight million times more than we're paying Riley, and he came in with way, way higher expectations.

Riley's seat will always be safe if one of three things is true.

1. We are exhibiting positive momentum or an upward trajectory.

2. We are winning our division and have enough positive circumstances, either from bowl wins or good games against elite competition, to give people optimism.

3. We are winning championships of any kind.

Right now, #1 is true. If we win 10 games this season, #1 will still be true, and Riley will continue to buy himself more time.

If he keeps losing to OSU you can your ass his seat will be hot

That's not true. Losing to a perennial top 10 maybe top 5 team should not warrant being put on the hot seat especially if it's the only game you are losing.

Riley won't be here long enough for this to be a thing anyway. He will retire long before losing to OSU every year is enough to put him on the hot seat. It would have to be like 10 years and I don't see Riley coaching that long anyway.

If the defense steps up from last year which I think will happen and the offensive line has a relatively healthy year, then I think a 9+ win season is a reality. If both of these things happen, then I think Iowa will be a win and Wisconsin a very good chance of a win. We almost beat a superior Wisconsin team at home last year and were decimated with injuries last year against Iowa. I think we are getting a big chip on our shoulders with these two teams and that translate to more effort and will on our part.

I think Riley will be safe this year with a couple of disappointing losses especially if the O-line still underperforms and we replace Cav with a superior line coach. Basically a lot of variables are here as every one is aware of. I know this might sound stupid, but the law of averages needs to favor us at some point in time with healthy , more focused players performing at a higher level than the last few years. I hope a new culture is mostly in place with the transition.

2-10 with wins over Iowa and Wisconsin, or 10-3 with losses to them?

Neither. 10-3 with losses to OSU, Wisconsin and Iowa and Riley's seat will be scorching. 0-6 against Wiscy and Iowa is not okay.

no it won't be. Riley was primarily brought in to be nice and mend fences with the fans, media and administration. Winning is important but if he only win 8 or so games a year he'll be here as long as he wants to be.

I think Riley will be safe this year with a couple of disappointing losses especially if the O-line still underperforms and we replace Cav with a superior line coach.

Bingo. Nebraska hasn't had a strong OL coach since freaking Milt. Between QB play and OL play those are really the only two consistently underwhelming positions when it comes to NU.

You'll have the QB play this year but I just don't see the OL coming to true form till Cav gets replaced

2-10 with wins over Iowa and Wisconsin, or 10-3 with losses to them?

Neither. 10-3 with losses to OSU, Wisconsin and Iowa and Riley's seat will be scorching. 0-6 against Wiscy and Iowa is not okay.

"Scorching" seems a bit much. Of course, I suppose it does matter what those games look like. For the record, I think we win both those games (Wisky, Iowa) this year.

I'm with this guy

• Fire 1

I think Riley will be safe this year with a couple of disappointing losses especially if the O-line still underperforms and we replace Cav with a superior line coach.

Bingo. Nebraska hasn't had a strong OL coach since freaking Milt. Between QB play and OL play those are really the only two consistently underwhelming positions when it comes to NU.

You'll have the QB play this year but I just don't see the OL coming to true form till Cav gets replaced

Technically we had a really good OL coach about 10 years ago. The problem was we were employing him as a head coach. :blink:

• Fire 3

anyone that thinks Riley is getting fired for going 10-3 is a complete and total bozo.

"10-3 with losses to OSU Wisconsin and Iowa and Riley's seat is scorching hot"

Yeah, lets fire a head coach that goes 10-3 with road wins @ Oregon @ Penn State and @ Minnesota.

Some of you need to put down the crack pipe and join the rest of us in reality.

• Fire 3

Interesting how the program's lack of conference titles seems to parallel how the line has played, no?

That's been the drum I've been beating to death for some years now - Nebraska won't reach its goals until the offensive line makes significant strides. In my opinion, without that, you put substantial pressure on the skill positions and quarterback to make up for your deficiencies in the trenches.

• Fire 2

I just want to throw this out there. Landlord needs to fix his recent text sizing issues.

Screenshot? I'm not posting any differently than I ever have.

I see extra spaces in a post up above (#24), but nothing else seems out of the ordinary.